Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heat to the crotch ...fixed  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Brettus

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XR 2011
Re: Heat to the crotch ...fixed
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 02:35:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
It's difficult to tell on your photo, but it appears you are blocking airflow over the Voltage Rectifier/Regulator.
That's that rectangular box with heat sink fins on the frame near the headstem. Don't block the air over that or you might find yourself with no electrical charging or worse.

Thanks for clarifying what that is.  I would say the flow over that is not blocked ...just reduced a little . Air still comes off the fan/radiator directly onto it but is then deflected out either side rather than over the engine and into the riders legs.
It was the only thing I thought might be impacted. If we have any issue with it we will surely report back here.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:42:39 PM by Brettus »

Offline OzzieTiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2019
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 10:09:45 AM »
You want as much cool air flowing over the reg rec as possible, when that fries, your stator will burn out, that all gets rather expensive.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brettus [+]
No Idea what the holes were for
Holes for Secondary Air Injection System -- apparently used on some Triumphs using the same cylinder head cover.
As to the air diverter:
I rode a 1998 Suzuki Katana 750 to high miles that came equipped with a heavy rubber mat installed in a similar area for similar purpose. Altho the Katana's GSXR-sourced engine was air/oil cooled, the big deflector had no apparent long-term effect on reliability? Remember, it was factory-fitted. The bike was also one of the most comfortable I've had with regards to excess rider heat.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Brettus

• Tiger Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 06:46:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Holes for Secondary Air Injection System -- apparently used on some Triumphs using the same cylinder head cover.
As to the air diverter:
I rode a 1998 Suzuki Katana 750 to high miles that came equipped with a heavy rubber mat installed in a similar area for similar purpose. Altho the Katana's GSXR-sourced engine was air/oil cooled, the big deflector had no apparent long-term effect on reliability? Remember, it was factory-fitted. The bike was also one of the most comfortable I've had with regards to excess rider heat.
Cheers for that .
 I really can't see the deflector doing any harm. The voltage rectifier was my only concern but it is designed to sit in a hot area and dissipate heat with negligible airflow over it (like at idle when fan is off for example). So I don't see that being an issue either now that I've thought about it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:50:29 PM by Brettus »

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »
Cheers for that .
 I really can't see the deflector doing any harm. The voltage rectifier was my only concern but it is designed to sit in a hot area and dissipate heat with negligible airflow over it (like at idle when fan is off for example). So I don't see that being an issue either now that I've thought about it.
IMO...I wouldn't do it.
Your engine is water cooled. It is not designed to depend on airflow over the engine for major heat dissipation. That is the job of the radiator. So as long as the radiator and fan have airflow you'll get away with it.

But....your rec/reg is air cooled, that is why it is manufactured with heatsink fins. It has temperature sensitive electronic components like mosfet or hexfet devices which can fail if overheated and likely fail in the closed (shorted) state, potentially damaging your alternator or battery, and leave you stranded in need of tow. (happened to me  on another one of my MCs)
My advice...not worth the risk.
Note, the new 900 has been designed with the rec/deg right up front in the wind. (You can guess the reason for that design mod.)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:01:53 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline Brettus

• Tiger Member
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 09:09:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
IMO...I wouldn't do it.
Your engine is water cooled. It is not designed to depend on airflow over the engine for major heat dissipation. That is the job of the radiator. So as long as the radiator and fan have airflow you'll get away with it.

But....your rec/reg is air cooled, that is why it is manufactured with heatsink fins. It has temperature sensitive electronic components like mosfet or hexfet devices which can fail if overheated and likely fail in the closed (shorted) state, potentially damaging your alternator or battery, and leave you stranded in need of tow. (happened to me  on another one of my MCs)
My advice...not worth the risk.
Note, the new 900 has been designed with the rec/deg right up front in the wind. (You can guess the reason for that design mod.)

If you told me that the 800 is renowned for having this part fail ...I'd be concerned . Otherwise I think it's worth the miniscule extra risk.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 06:40:59 AM »
If you told me that the 800 is renowned for having this part fail ...I'd be concerned . Otherwise I think it's worth the miniscule extra risk.

I wouldn't be too concerned either, I had Yamahas that hid the rectifier pretty well, it wouldn't get so much wind while riding, I even modified both my Fazer 8, as the rectifier stupidly sits just in front of the brake pedal on stock machines on the 2 I owned I rerouted the cables and afixed the rectifier, just under the passenger seat, so it gets the rear wheel wind turbulence, none of my yamis every had issues.
The FZ8 are notorious crotch roasters, honestly the Tigers are nothing next to it, so my rectifier benefited from being relocalized.

Rectifiers are much tougher than people think and you live in NZ, weather pretty much like Switzerland, so no extreme heat waves, like aussies get.
Side note it's rather the placement of the rectifier on the 900, that I really question, in direct direction of all the sh*t the front wheel will throw in it off-road...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:44:10 AM by Djairouks »

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 09:34:33 AM »
'Gen 2' bike, so slightly different location by the look of it, but .. having had my R/R fail at 3yrs old (even then 220) and finding its location directly behind the radiator and directly above the exhaust headers I personally wouldn't want to add anything which "might" adversely affect the airflow and high heat away from that area.

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 09:51:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
'Gen 2' bike, so slightly different location by the look of it, but .. having had my R/R fail at 3yrs old (even then 220) and finding its location directly behind the radiator and directly above the exhaust headers I personally wouldn't want to add anything which "might" adversely affect the airflow and high heat away from that area.

All my jap bikes have always had the rectifiers "outside", away as much as possible from heat sources, so the riding air going around was sufficient to cool them.
Placing a rectifier above exhaust lines is plain dumb design, the radiator fans are not designed to push air inside the bike and engine, but outside carrying heat away from the heatsink, so I really am baffled here, I don't understand what airflow you're talking about then, if this thing is burried there.

Still Brettus's deflector plate is behind the rec, so the little airflow that's going on the rec is not stopped, don't get all the fuss here.

I love my tiger but god this looks like the stupidest rectifier placement I've ever witnessed  :138:.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:56:29 AM by Djairouks »

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 10:23:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
... so the little airflow that's going on the rec is not stopped, don't get all the fuss here.

I specifically put quotation marks around the word "might". I don't see how you consider it little airflow, that is variable. Even if no external wind speed the air is moving through the radiator at the speed of the bike removing heat and the air needs to be able to flow to dissipate that heat. If that deflector "might" be forming a dam and possibly restricting the airflow across the radiator then the temperature may get hotter in that area, not for the water cooled engine, the fan would probably cut in, but for the R/R it would get hotter. :006:

As I said, 'I personally wouldn't want to add anything' . and that means to my bike. What other wish to do is clearly up to them. But we can all still offer our perceived pros and cons of any topic and the bottom line is that the decision is up to the bikes owner. :002:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch