Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 XCA tubeless conversion?  (Read 2542 times)

Offline padderico

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA 18
Tiger 800 XCA tubeless conversion?
« on: March 06, 2020, 06:08:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

Stumbled upon this wonderful forum a while back and decided to sign up to ask a few questions over the next few months and get some help from much more experienced Tiger 800 riders.

Big question here for my first post.

Has anyone had any success doing a tubeless conversion with the standard wheels to allow tubeless tyres to be used?

I've been planning a large RTW trip for the best part of a year now and its coming up soon, got the motorcycle bought and its in storage at the moment. I've got the majority of equipment already and then a thought got in my head about punctures and I realise a lot more time and effort is involved when a tubed tyre gets a puncture.

Should I go ahead and do a conversion and roll with that, or just keep them as they are and get on the damn thing and embrace those inevitable punctures?

(Never had a tubeless machine before)

Thanks for your time,

Patrick.

fyi: The bike is a Tiger 800 XCA 2018  :465:

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Tiger 800 XCA tubeless conversion?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 06:35:45 PM »
There's no issue sealing the rear wheel and going tubeless.
The front -however- doesn't have a hooked rim (tubeless do)

Some people do it and love it, others (like me) wouldn't do it, especially if you are likely to run lower pressures at times
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 06:59:32 PM »
 :350:gHi and :401:

One of our forum members, stevedo (steve), and partner (Janette) are currently on an 'around the world' trip and have fully logged their adventure to date with plenty of helpful info.  :152:

http://www.tiger800rtw.com

He mentions his rear tubeless conversion here.
http://www.tiger800rtw.com/bike-kit/

Also do a search on forum, there are a number of members who have done tubeless conversions in a number of ways and costs but beware, as said, the front rim isn't really suitable. That said, given a choice of tubes to repair/renew then the front wheel is certainly preferable to remove than the rear. :028:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 07:01:41 PM by Stevie.P »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Q

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2019 800 XCA
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 07:23:56 AM »
2019 XCA - had a tubeless conversion done about a year ago using the standard rims and fitted Conti TKC70 tyres

have been using the bike for both on and extensive dirt road riding without any hassles and DV no punctures/rim damage - just completed a 5k on/off-road trip thru South Africa with no hassles or significant tyre pressure loss

I would do the conversion and take a 21" tube along for the ride as an emergency measure
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 11:46:50 AM »
What conversion method did you use?
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline Q

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 01:07:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 [+]
What conversion method did you use?

the conversion was done by a local company here in Johannesburg who specializes in overland adventure tours - they use a compound which seals the inside of the rim and the spokes (not sure which type of compound however) - takes about 3-4 days to cure and dry and I've seen that it looks like a black elasticised material when dry

they previously did a conversion for me on the spoke wheels of a BMW R1200R Classic which I rode the pants off for about 3 years (incl track days) with the tubeless conversion and never had an issue apart from the occasional flat due to nails/screws/sharp objects from the road surface in the rear tyre

thus, I would definitely recommend a professional doing the tubeless conversion for you irrespective of the absence of an extra bead lip in the 21" front - neither my XCA front nor the BMW rims had such a lip and I never had any hassles or warnings that the rims are not suitable for tubeless conversion
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 08:51:02 AM »
Thank you for the information, I will probably do the job myself but rear only.  A little concerned about the lack of correct rim type up front and in any case the front tube, though a pain, is a breeze to change compared to the rear.
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC 800 2018
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 11:59:17 AM »
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:45:24 PM by rantanplan »

Offline Q

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 [+]
Thank you for the information, I will probably do the job myself but rear only.  A little concerned about the lack of correct rim type up front and in any case the front tube, though a pain, is a breeze to change compared to the rear.

the info below on the "de-beading hump" is interesting and makes a lot of sense  - even if it is simply to help me to know what the correct terminology is :-)

I never deflate tyres when riding dirt - the benefit of more traction because of a larger footprint is only applicable when riding in long stretches of deep sand or mud - neither of which are prevalent conditions in South Africa or within my skill levels anyways

the conversion people also recommended that I don't deflate the tyres after the tubeless conversion to protect the rims and sidewalls - and thus far DV no hassles whatsoever with the TKC70s, in fact nothing but praise

that being said, should I undertake another long-distance tour through Africa, I will probably add something like TUbliss to ensure a solid seal on both front and rear

Offline padderico

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA 18
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 10:40:40 AM »
Good morning folks,

Thanks for all the replies to this, seems like its been done and discussed in the past which is good.
I think I would like to proceed with doing this by myself.

Just wondering if anyone has performed this conversion themselves and what compounds/materials they have used with results?

Also I have another question, just wondering what road tyres and dual sport tyres people recommend on the tiger 800 xca? (good for high miles also)

Recent Topics

winded-staunch