Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hopefully something that hasn't been asked about the 12k service  (Read 3750 times)

Offline pennpeel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Triumph 800 xc
Hi all, basically I'm planning to do a lot of my own servicing from now on. She's done just over 10k miles so probably not a good time to start. But I've so far checked and cleaned the brakes, replaced the oil and filter, changed the air filter, changed to coolant and the brake fluid was replaced last year. So it's valve check and adjustment and throttle body checks a couple of bigish jobs. I may also grease the head bearing. As I'm not at 12k I'm thinking I have a bit of time to get it done.

How far over is it safe or wise to go over the 12k mark? Watched Muddy Sump's how to video so may give it go, or may lose my nerve and get it done elsewhere. Unfortunately Muddy Sump is to far away to do the job for me.  Appreciate any advice as ever 😀

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
Re: Hopefully something that hasn't been asked about the 12k service
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 07:28:18 PM »
I'm quite happy to allow +10%. My bike's 48k mile service was done at just under 53k and that makes not a single jot of difference to me.

clearly my bike has no value in it so preserving a full service history is not a trade in consideration, it's more about reliability and the bike getting me to work every day.

YMMV

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 08:26:35 PM »
I had my valves checked at 15,000 on my Tiger Sport.

Offline freeware

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 10:17:26 PM »
Mine was FTSH up to 13k when I've bought it - so assuming valves were done/checked at 12k (bill for nearly 1k paid by previous owner). Then I've done full 24k service myself and had to adjust 3 of the valves. So either they were within limit at 12k and or I've done the re-adjustment at 24k.
I think I've read here that most people only adjusted valves once and then next service was 'within limit' - no adjustment needed. But I may be dreaming after several alcohol based treatments (to prevent being attacked by corona...)  :084:

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 10:29:41 PM »
Mine has about 1k before it gets to 12k miles and I'm pretty relaxed about when I will carry out the 12k service - it will probably be at the end of the year whatever the mileage. Apart from the consumables like oil and spark plugs, much of the maintenance schedule involves checks and in most cases will not require any adjustment. I would happily leave many of these until 15k miles without any worries.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline freeware

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 10:43:11 PM »
It was said that the re-shimming would be needed or not largely depends on how the bike is ridden. Many short distances from cold vs long journeys.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 06:37:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by freeware [+]
It was said that the re-shimming would be needed or not largely depends on how the bike is ridden. Many short distances from cold vs long journeys.
I suspect the biggest factor is how many revolutions the engine has clocked up between services. If you regularly take the engine into the high rpm range then the total number of revolutions will be much higher than someone who normally keeps the revs to below 5,000 rpm (like me!). Total number of revolutions probably equates to the level of wear in the valve gear and therefore the need for re-shimming.

Offline tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
  • Ride triumph, for the journey ahead
  • Bike: tiger800 XCA
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 03:22:35 PM »
My 2017 xca has just had its 12,000 service last week, it has now covered 12,200 miles, I bought it second hand with 4000 miles on it in 2019, I have done 90% of the work myself, but replacing the shims is a bit of a task as you have to remove the cams, unlike my 885i, so cobb and Jagger did the shims after I checked them and found it needed all the exhaust shims doing as they were 30, and one inlet, I did them myself on my 2014 800 xr, but didn't fancy it again, I gave them the bike in bits, so just shims to do, no cam cover etc. Then took it back after i rebuilt it for the auto tune, i had already checked it myself with tune ECU, and it all came up perfect, she runs so sweet now, looking forward to some more adventures in 2020 including the ABR rally.
never ride faster than you can think

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »
You've got the same age XCA as me and similar mileage but I was hoping I'd find my valve clearances would be in spec when I eventually get around to checking them! Out of interest, what were your exhaust clearances (I think they're supposed to be 0.15 - 0.20 mm)?

Offline tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
  • Ride triumph, for the journey ahead
  • Bike: tiger800 XCA
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 04:00:38 PM »
Inlet is .10 to .20 mine were all .11 except one at .16 and that one is now .12,so ok and they get bigger, so as close to .10 is good, whereas the exhaust clearance close up in my experience, mine were all .30 they were supposed to be between. 325 and .375, they now are all .34 so about mid range.
never ride faster than you can think

Recent Topics

winded-staunch