Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hopefully something that hasn't been asked about the 12k service  (Read 3638 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: Hopefully something that hasn't been asked about the 12k service
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 06:58:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
:187: But they still need adjusting.  :492:
Not everything / often -- some engines, for some owners, go tens of thousands of miles with valve clearances still within tolerance.
Valve clearances should still be checked periodically, tho.
Also, once set properly - and after initial adjustment - correctly adjusted valve clearances often stay that way for quite a long time.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:02:45 PM by AvgBear »
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline freeware

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 07:02:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Not everything -- some engines, for some owners, go tens of thousands of miles with valve clearances still within tolerance.
Also, once set properly - and after initial adjustment - properly adjusted valve clearances often stay that way for quite a long time.

Ask any Yamaha FZS 600 owner about valve adjustment: 50k-60k and usually not a single adjustment needed.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 07:09:32 PM »
Not everything -- some engines, for some owners, go tens of thousands of miles with valve clearances still within tolerance.
Also, once set properly - and after initial adjustment - correctly adjusted valve clearances often stay that way for quite a long time.

Speak for yourself, shims on my Triumph triples have needed changing every time. I use top spec full/syn oil, change oil & filter every 3k miles. Dealers will say they're ok if they can't be arsed doing it or if a gnats over minimum.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by freeware [+]
Ask any Yamaha FZS 600 owner about valve adjustment: 50k-60k and usually not a single adjustment needed.

Yes, the earlier CBR600's were similar.

Offline freeware

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 07:21:33 PM »
...shims on my Triumph triples have needed changing every time. I use top spec full/syn oil, change oil & filter every 3k miles.

similar regime with oil etc on my bike - will be interesting when it gets to next big service (36k) - I hoped for no more adjusting :)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
I use top spec full/syn oil, change oil & filter every 3k miles.
Oil spec has nothing to do with the necessity of valve clearance adjustments -- the wear takes place in the combustion chamber (where there is no oil).

Dealers will say they're ok if they can't be arsed doing it or if a gnats over minimum.
What dealers do or don't do may be a separate discussion -- not necessarily related to engine mechanicals?
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2020, 08:19:12 PM »
Oil spec has nothing to do with the necessity of valve clearance adjustments -- the wear takes place in the combustion chamber (where there is no oil).
 What dealers do or don't do may be a separate discussion -- not necessarily related to engine mechanicals?

How many Hinckley Triumphs have you had?

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2020, 09:43:48 PM »
How many Hinckley Triumphs have you had?
Irrelevant to the topic being discussed.
WSC

Offline tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
  • Ride triumph, for the journey ahead
  • Bike: tiger800 XCA
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2020, 07:02:12 AM »
Certainly learning a lot on this thread, thanks peeps,when I mentioned about top quality oil, I was thinking about secondary wear on cam lobes and buckets, shims etc.just read this on line and it is a good phrase I think, Too loose is better than too tight, and valves tighten as you pile on miles.  :001:
never ride faster than you can think

Offline pennpeel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Triumph 800 xc
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2020, 07:15:51 AM »
As ever loads of good advice, I'll sort out a plan of action. I don't know if it's getting older and wiser or more cynical. But I have less and less faith in paying supposed experts to do work for me. My car brake pads were down to the metal last service when they were checked at the last service and deemed ok, not doing huge miles or really heavy braking. I stopped using Triumph Exeter because of a few comments made especially as some guy was charged for four spark plugs on a triple bike. Admittedly could have been an oversite. I was told my chain was stretched on the Tiger, one service and mot. Next year went somewhere else not mentioned at all.

Again thanks to everyone one on the forum that cast doubt on a chain being that worn considering the miles.  So I getting a little more diy. I'm checking things myself then thinking you've done that why not fix it yourself. With loads of help from YouTube and the forum.

I must add I'm no expert, and I'm not perfect so my wife says, I'm sure people could easily point out mistakes I make at work. So I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt, perhaps to much really, when things aren't done right. But when it comes to my bike doing it myself at least I have the piece of mind it's right, and the satisfaction of a job well done. Once thanks alll

Recent Topics

winded-staunch