Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Measuring Valve Clearance (Tips)  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Measuring Valve Clearance (Tips)
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »
Yeah, mine were too

Whatever the OP's take, there's plenty of generic shims available
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 08:24:29 PM »
I just followed the links for my own bike as a bit of guidance for the other posters.
Just happen to be 9.5mm. I know there are others brands available.
Original question was about accurate measurement.
I asked also about the need for smaller increments on the feeler gauge thickness.
Did anybody have a view on this?
Find the Line

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2020, 08:52:58 PM »
As in my post above, I use 3 feelers, if the mid one goes in and the min & max don't, it's good
If the mid doesn't but the min does, it's good etc. etc.

I don't see the need to be anymore accurate
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline cat10

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 abs
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2020, 09:51:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
As in my post above, I use 3 feelers, if the mid one goes in and the min & max don't, it's good
If the mid doesn't but the min does, it's good etc. etc.

I don't see the need to be anymore accurate

You must have  0.325mm, 0.350mm and a 0.375mm feeler gauges then......can I ask where you got them from with such small increments. 
Also if the 0.325mm doesn,t go in how do you know what shim to put in if you have no idea what the gap is, it could be a lot smaller than 0.325mm.
Cheers

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 05:35:41 AM »
See my photo earlier in the thread
.330, .356 and .381 (13,14 & 15 thou) which is close enough

if it's too tight for the 13 thou, I just go down in thou increments until I get a result, then aim to bring it back to the mid point as near as I can.

I believe I'm using these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-51720-Marked-Feeler-Gauge/dp/B0108AVUZK/
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 05:00:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by cat10 [+]
Also if the 0.325mm doesn,t go in how do you know what shim to put in if you have no idea what the gap is, it could be a lot smaller than 0.325mm.
Not speaking for Rtwo -- I'm a go/no-go practicioner and the actual clearance measurement is of little concern. If the measurement is out-of-spec -- then the adjustment shim must be changed.
I make a chart and record all measurements to help with the ability to swap shims -- and have a small supply of shims on-hand.
Ultimately, the incorrect shim must be removed and thickness read/measured; appropriate replacement shim selected and installed (for all in-need); and, all re-assembled and clearances re-checked.
To your question about not knowing the actual clearance: there may be times when the go/no-go method will require further adjustment.
The whole practice is a sort-of trial-and-error method. Accurately measuring clearances may help? (maybe not?)
Go/no-go is a workable method.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Recent Topics