Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help  (Read 2998 times)

Offline ozrob

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XCA
2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« on: March 11, 2020, 03:52:43 AM »
Greetings all,
I have a 2018 800 XCA that has the TFT screen, I have noticed that the speedometer reads 8 kph too fast @ GPS indicated 100 kph speed.
As the speedometer speed sensor is driven off the countershaft sprocket output, is there a way to correct the error either electronically with a device similar to  "speedo healer (they don't make one for the triumph)" or mechanically by changing sprocket ratios?
Has anyone else corrected the problem or you just use a GPS?

Offline rubbertoe

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 04:28:12 AM »
At least here in Amerika all bikes and cars read about the same amount fast as your bike. Sorry I can't help with a fix. With my bikes I'm glad they read fast. If they read slow then the coppers would get me all the time.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 04:52:52 AM »
8% error looks fairly average for a vehicle speedo (IMO) - I believe our Police allow 10% for speedo error (high). You can't possibly get 100% accurate anyway with the vehicle system (bike or car) as the tyre diameter is constantly changing as it warms and expands and as the tread wears and it also gets smaller.
You can change the sprockets all you like, it won't affect the speedo, that was driven by the gearbox output on the 'gen 1' bikes. The 'gen 2' and your 'gen 3' are driven by the rear ABS sensor signal, not mechanical. There may be an electronic device out there to alter the speedo?  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 06:07:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by ozrob [+]
Greetings all,
I have a 2018 800 XCA that has the TFT screen, I have noticed that the speedometer reads 8 kph too fast @ GPS indicated 100 kph speed.
As the speedometer speed sensor is driven off the countershaft sprocket output, is there a way to correct the error either electronically with a device similar to  "speedo healer (they don't make one for the triumph)" or mechanically by changing sprocket ratios?
Has anyone else corrected the problem or you just use a GPS?

Almost all vehicles in Australia read fast on the speedo. What is better for the manufacturer drivers going slightly slower than they think or a class action from drivers who were relying on the speedo and go pinged by Mr Plod?
I rarely look at the speedo on my Tiger I use the GPS indicated speed.

BTW the law in Australia since 2005 has been that all speedos must read within +/- 5% to comply with ADR. If your speedo is really 8km/h out at 100kph take it back to Triumph under warranty and make them ensure that it complies with ADR.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:09:49 AM by K1W1 »

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 06:43:55 AM »
I have checked all my bikes speedos against GPS speed, always were around 8-10% higher, all manufacturers need the speed to be higher than reality, for liability issues.
So nothing out of ordinary here, it's the same logic in watchmaking industry where I work, all mechanical watches are adjusted to go slightly faster, so you're never late on a daily basis.

I just take this in account and ride 10% faster, really nothing complicated !

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 07:40:42 AM »
@ozrob. Now just check for each of your speed limits and you'll know what you can do in each band.
Lost again

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 11:18:36 AM »
I don't know the rules for other parts of the world, but in the EU I think the following EU Directive (2000/7/EC) for 2- & 3-wheeled vehicle speedo accuracy is still valid:-

The displayed speed must never be less than the real speed.
So it shouldn't be possible to get caught speeding if your displayed speed doesn't exceed the road limit.

The displayed speed must not be more than 10% greater than the real speed, plus 4km/h.
This would give a maximum displayed speed of 134km/h for a real speed of 120km/h, or 79.5mph for a real speed of 70mph.

This applies to bikes/trikes fitted with the correct manufacturer-recommended tyre type and at the 'normal' running pressure.

In the UK the unofficial speeding rule of 10% over the limit, +2mph, still falls within above EU speedo regulations for all posted speed limits from 20~70mph.

Sat-nav indicated speeds should be far more accurate but will depend on, amongst other things, the quality of the GPS reception and whether you're travelling on a straight & level road.

See also here for one (complicated) possible suggestion of correcting the speedo...
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,10866.msg246466.html#msg246466

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 11:48:39 AM »
If it calculates the speed using the ABS ring, there are options to replace it with a modified one to adjust it.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 08:03:55 PM »
I once made some electronics to force the speedometer to display corrected speed using the pulsed speed sensor from the wheel only to discover the speedometer unit in the dash then displayed an incorrect odometer value. Discovered the factory units are internally designed to read high on the speedometer and correct on the odometer.
So...pick one--you can have either the speedometer or the odometer correct, but not both!
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 08:07:19 PM »
My speedo also reads around 7mph out when traveling @ 70mph according to various gps devices. My question though would be when my bike is due for a service am I correct in thinking I can theoretically add 10% to the mileage before booking it in, so my 12k service would actually be due @ 13200 miles?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch