Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help  (Read 2997 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online K1W1

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4250
  • Bike: XRX
  • Location: SE Australia
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 08:53:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by nobsta [+]
My speedo also reads around 7mph out when traveling @ 70mph according to various gps devices. My question though would be when my bike is due for a service am I correct in thinking I can theoretically add 10% to the mileage before booking it in, so my 12k service would actually be due @ 13200 miles?

The speed reading and distance reading are different things. Whenever I have checked the distance reading either against a GPS or on a roadside distance checking system the distance on the odometer has been accurate.

Online T800XC

  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • *
  • Posts: 2127
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • Location: English Riviera
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 09:19:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
The speed reading and distance reading are different things. Whenever I have checked the distance reading either against a GPS or on a roadside distance checking system the distance on the odometer has been accurate.
:0461: Exactly my experience. Different commands are also sent via the CAN bus to the instruments for speed & distance.
  
...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 401
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 11:16:44 AM »
Since you guys seem to know a lot about the system, can I ask you if you know a way to alter the fuel gage signal, because I get the reserve signal at 120-130Km left and when it hits 0 I still usually manage 50Km more than 0.

 :451: :431:

Offline Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3024
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 11:23:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
... and when it hits 0 I still usually manage 50Km more than 0.

On railway systems that would be known as a 'safe side failure' .... rather that than actually cut out at 0. If it ran out before 0 that would be a 'wrong side failure'.
I know which I prefer.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 401
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 11:40:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
On railway systems that would be known as a 'safe side failure' .... rather that than actually cut out at 0. If it ran out before 0 that would be a 'wrong side failure'.
I know which I prefer.

I absolutely understand the concept it makes sense, but honestly 15-20km would be more what I'd expect and what My Honda actually managed. Because my daily commutes are exactly 50Km (one way), so I can basically go to work, reach 0 and then still come back home no problem which fuel left, this is a bit extreme to me.

In Europe you find fuel stations closer than 50Km appart, so allready the reserve coming at almost 3 times this, is pretty stupid to me.

I don't want to pollute the thread too much, PM me if you anyone has a solution, thanks !
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:43:09 AM by Djairouks »

Offline rubbertoe

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 38
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
  • Location: Silver City,N.M
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 01:08:39 PM »
You 50 K reserve doesn't mean much to me where I live in southwestern New Mexico. I go by my trip gauge not the fuel gauge.

Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 401
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 01:20:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by rubbertoe [+]
You 50 K reserve doesn't mean much to me where I live in southwestern New Mexico. I go by my trip gauge not the fuel gauge.

But the trip gauge unfortunately doesn't take fuel consumption in account, so if you'd ride harder one day you can't expect the same mileage, how to quantize this it's not either a good solution to me.
I already know the average fuel consumption shown are 6% optimistic, but they still show a reliable picture of the mileage.
My reserve is more around 120-130Km, which is pretty ridiculous, I could live with 50 for sure !

Again don't want to go too much on a tengant, it's either yes there is a way, or no.

Online T800XC

  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • *
  • Posts: 2127
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • Location: English Riviera
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 01:30:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Again don't want to go too much on a tengant, it's either yes there is a way, or no.
No, not easily I'd say.

Although you could measure the output of the fuel sender to see what it is at various fuel levels. Quite possibly a variable resistance based on the float position (with one side tied to 5V edit 0V), in which case you might be able to add a fixed resistance in series. This would, however, affect the reading across the whole range.


Hopefully back on topic now...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:21:00 PM by T800XC »
  
...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline healdem

  • ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • *
  • Posts: 4482
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
  • Location: Cheshire
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 05:18:50 PM »
As long a the sensors are repeatable then what does it matter if it over reports the speed, or under reports the amount of fuel remaining.

the speed overread shoudl be consistent for that bike, it will be a percentage overread to make certain the bike stays within applicable law. Hence why the ODO should be accurate as over time.

All ABS Tigers take the speed reading from the rear ABS sensor. first gen NON ABS 800's too it off the, was it front sprocket.

Id suggest if you are searching for a solution, then re calibrate your mind. find what indicated speed equates to a speed over ground.  it doens't take long . crudely I reckon its around 5% overread around 32 for 30, 42 for 40, 53 for 50, 74 for 70.  If you have cruise control then ride at those limits, otherwise you risk riding at the the liit and throwing aay some of the 'allowance' you get from speed cameras.

Fuel range is however a trickier  matter. Its an estimate, a prediction NOT an absolute calculation. I suspect that its best on a fuel flowmeter and uses some form of adaptive smoothing calculating how much fuel you have used and from that estimate range based on the average consumption. those calculations are alwasy based on previous riding. so if you leave an urban area for a free flowing route your range will increase, and vice versa.  I find in my car, driving long(ish) distance on motorways the range will often rise dramatically as the consumption per mile drops.

As Stevie P suggests manufacturers have to make decisions on where to strike the balance. its smarter for them to overstate the speedo and understate the fuel consumption. that way round they are less likely to be taken to court by someone taking the piss and try and transfer responsibility  from the rider onto the manufacturer.

just ride the fecker and don't get obsessed about genuine fake precision. repeatability is you friend here not chasing a magic number




Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 401
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 05:31:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
As long a the sensors are repeatable then what does it matter if it over reports the speed, or under reports the amount of fuel remaining.

the speed overread shoudl be consistent for that bike, it will be a percentage overread to make certain the bike stays within applicable law. Hence why the ODO should be accurate as over time.

All ABS Tigers take the speed reading from the rear ABS sensor. first gen NON ABS 800's too it off the, was it front sprocket.

Id suggest if you are searching for a solution, then re calibrate your mind. find what indicated speed equates to a speed over ground.  it doens't take long . crudely I reckon its around 5% overread around 32 for 30, 42 for 40, 53 for 50, 74 for 70.  If you have cruise control then ride at those limits, otherwise you risk riding at the the liit and throwing aay some of the 'allowance' you get from speed cameras.

Fuel range is however a trickier  matter. Its an estimate, a prediction NOT an absolute calculation. I suspect that its best on a fuel flowmeter and uses some form of adaptive smoothing calculating how much fuel you have used and from that estimate range based on the average consumption. those calculations are alwasy based on previous riding. so if you leave an urban area for a free flowing route your range will increase, and vice versa.  I find in my car, driving long(ish) distance on motorways the range will often rise dramatically as the consumption per mile drops.

As Stevie P suggests manufacturers have to make decisions on where to strike the balance. its smarter for them to overstate the speedo and understate the fuel consumption. that way round they are less likely to be taken to court by someone taking the piss and try and transfer responsibility  from the rider onto the manufacturer.

just ride the fecker and don't get obsessed about genuine fake precision. repeatability is you friend here not chasing a magic number

I agree with you for the speed I just go 10% faster problems solved, it's Nothing complicated.

For the fuel you're thinking backwards, my motorcyle today when refueling after 395Km (16.8l), gave average of 4.00l/100 (-6%), while in reality it does 4.25l/100, so the logical thing would be the fuel consumption would be around 4.4l/100 (+6%), so with 19l you'd plan 431Km and not 475Km, that's why it bothers me for fuel and doesn't for speed !
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 05:33:36 PM by Djairouks »

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch