Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help  (Read 2996 times)

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: 2018 TFT 800 XCA Speedometer error correction help
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 09:00:15 PM »
Us old farts started riding long before there was anything like a fuel gauge. The best you could hope for was a bike with a 'reserve' setting on the tank's fuel valve.
So the habit wired into the brain is to reset the trip meter on re-fill. Much more accurate once you get to know your fuel consumption for all riding conditions.
Modern fuel gauges are a distraction just wasting space on your dash.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 09:45:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
So the habit wired into the brain is to reset the trip meter on re-fill. Much more accurate once you get to know your fuel consumption for all riding conditions.

:110: .... 40yrs years with my Bonnie and never monitored fuel consumption. Not being a distance touring bike as such (US tank 2.8 gallon), refuel to brim, ensure main tap on and reserve tap off. As soon as the bike starts to splutter, reserve tap on and start looking for next petrol station. Simples. :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline ozrob

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XCA
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2020, 12:15:41 AM »
Thanks all, interesting responses that the speedo is driven off the ABS ring on the rear wheel, I think the only way to correct the speedo would be to change the ring, but the fronts ring would also need to be changed, but then there might be issues where the ECU expects X qty of signal at a given speed...don't know....
Looks like using the GPS and remembering that 107 dash displayed reading is actually 100....

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2020, 06:42:31 AM »
Us old farts started riding long before there was anything like a fuel gauge. The best you could hope for was a bike with a 'reserve' setting on the tank's fuel valve.
Modern fuel gauges are a distraction just wasting space on your dash.

No offense "Mr Fart" :156: but this is exactly like the watchmakers at my work, sure sometimes you don't need to go high tech or reinvent de the wheel, but the "we've been doing this for 40 years, why change" well maybe because technology should give you better precision nowadays in most cases...
I had years ago a Suzuki GS550, which was my cafe racer bike, no fuel gage just the reserve position on the petcock, I did the same as you explained, no rocket science needed.
But the point is I didn't travel on this bike anyway, if the Tigers have all the electronics I don't think it's too much to ask that they actually work as they should, because when I have a drive of about 800Km on a day, I don't need to guess and stop more times than needed, the ride is already long enough for me.

*Originally Posted by ozrob [+]
Thanks all, interesting responses that the speedo is driven off the ABS ring on the rear wheel, I think the only way to correct the speedo would be to change the ring, but the fronts ring would also need to be changed, but then there might be issues where the ECU expects X qty of signal at a given speed...don't know....
Looks like using the GPS and remembering that 107 dash displayed reading is actually 100....

Yes I wouldn't play with ABS rotors, if both front and rear wouldn't be precisely the equal spacing, the ABS would malfunction and to correct 6-10% on the whole circumference, seems a rather fine difference and the parts would be quite expensive I guess.
Not talking even about warranty or liability in case of an accident if you tempered with the braking system, in my country this would be a criminal offense.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:44:33 AM by Djairouks »

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 06:52:41 AM »

Yeah and the downside was as told to me by "a mate"  :001: was that you also turned to fuel tap off when you stopped the bike and it was very embarrassing when you took a girl out for a first date and the bike stopped while doing a U turn in the middle of the road as you headed home from the movies because you forgot to turn the tap back on.
Not everything was better when we were young.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 06:54:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Not talking even about warranty or liability in case of an accident if you tempered with the braking system, in my country this would be a criminal offense.

Technically here in Australia it would render the bike unroadworthy and the insurance could be cancelled by the reality is that nobody is likely to notice anyway.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 07:00:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Technically here in Australia it would render the bike unroadworthy and the insurance could be cancelled by the reality is that nobody is likely to notice anyway.

Of course it's arguable someone would notice in Switzerland either, they rather look at exhausts and tires, to try and F you insurances are always good, but the question is, taking the chance that it would happen to correct your speed by 6-10% does not seem really a good idea isn't it !?

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 09:29:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
, but the question is, taking the chance that it would happen to correct your speed by 6-10% does not seem really a good idea isn't it !?

Agree but it is a question that seems to pop up a lot on motorcycle forums. Car drivers dont seem to care and their speedos are equally unreliable.
If you ride 1000 km at an average of 80kph and you speedo is reading 5% slow you are going to spend less than an extra 30 minutes on the journey. Most riders would waste more theme than that faffing around at fuel stops, toilet breaks or cafes.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 08:00:25 AM »
Speedo overread is, aside from tyre wear, predictable
Odometer accuracy, likewise.
Fuel consumption depends on the roads you are riding.
So you may do 4l per 100km one minute, and 4.25l per 100Km next minute, heck if you are going downhill with the throttle shut off you may be doing sub .1l per 100Km.  Most vehicles are using some form of adaptive smoothing to calculate the fuel consumption per unit of distance travelled. That's an easy way of calculating averages of a series of values. You tune the smoothing factor to tweak how much of the older values you want to represent in the new value. It's why range and consumption values often lag but it also has the advantage that a few outliers wont skew the calculation

I suppose the fuel flow can be reasonably determined (by say counting the number of fuel pulses in the injection system) but distance travelled is at best flawed. Tyres wear over time. And the tyre shape us not perfectly round profile.

Just reset your mind. Apply a mental  correction to what the display tells you. When the fuel guage starts to flash, find fuel. IF you are riding in the goonies you need to think more about range and where the next fuel stop is.

Aside from a few places in the uk, such as North Yorks Moors at the weekend fer instance,  you are rarely more than 15..20 miles from fuel.
Riding in the US that doesn't necessarily hold true. I learned early on in the rural areas dont pass up on refuelling if you are about to go rural. Dont push it relying on the reserve that the underread of fuel consumption gives you. I have once put in just over 19l in my tiger, and once ran out of fuel. Neither were brave or smart calls.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:06:14 AM by healdem »

Offline Matchbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XRT
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2020, 08:42:19 AM »
Plenty of cheap bicycle computers around which use GPS to measure speed, distance etc..Had one on an old Norton when speedo packed up - kept me legal!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch