Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pillion pegs removed but need emergency option  (Read 1113 times)

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC 800 2018
Re: Pillion pegs removed but need emergency option
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 09:08:51 AM »
Thinking of it, a general idea is pegs that have a base of   Y  shape and can be bolted to the frame with clamps like the handlebar clamps with bolts, the problem is the round shape of frame that could turn them down with the weight, so a third part is needed to stop this,
just thoughts.... for now 

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 10:28:18 AM »
Newhorizons  :028:  :460:  :0461:

My general idea for making removable pegs (sorry i' m no good on sketching so with words),
*cut the pegs 4-5cm of the frame,
*insert a round alu tube inside the pegs tube holes with length capable to be insert to the 4-5cm of the frame remaining part,
*2 flat iron bars 2-2,5cm wide possition paralell to the pegs bracket that will be bend so can hug the shape of the removed pegs and welded OR with 2 bolts each bracket, and the remaining flat parts of these bars with length to reach the frame will be  L  shape at the end with locknut welded(or not),
*final part will be an iron bar 2 -2,5cm wide formed to round shape of the frame with 2 holes each one for bolts so the pegs could be mounted like the handlebar clamps

This idea is to have removable pegs if a passenger is not needed, or for off road use, to mininιze the risk of frame damage, and have the oem pegs remounted same place and can support passenger  (also an extra Π shape small grab handle like Newhorizons did in that place could be benefit for raising the bike to center stand)

I'm no engineer, so maybe have faults in my thinking any advise are more than welcome

Sorry for my English, hope the reader can understand what i'm saying

cold beers help thinking more clear  :031:  :031:  :031:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:51:30 AM by rantanplan »

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
Yeah sat there and pondered something that bolts on, however the frame section that seems in the right area /distance and low enough appears to be around the area that the two frame tubes meet.

The tubes have reinforcing at that point for the welds so they are pretty big.
My current focus is slightly above that where there is a disc that sits back a bit and joins the tubes at the back,

So wondering if I can drill that disc, bolt a right angle tab into that area then attach an aftermarket foot peg..... somehow. That foot peg will be the one that I am currently trying to bolt onto my crash bar for resting and stretching on long trips..... 1 peg, 2 uses.

Still a work in progress, however all my touring plans have just gone up in smoke due to something that sounds like a Mexican Beer virus #@%$& !!

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 12:55:09 PM »
Lots of time to ponder a solution and voila !

So I bought some cheapy pegs from a local bike shop a while back, made sure they were mild steel. (ps I also had to weld a bit under the actual peg as it flexed up and down, just poor design, they could have put a lip underneath and fixed that during manufacture)

See attached photo for the bit n pieces, but effectively welded a nut on the back of the mount base that the actual peg is bolted onto.

Cut 4 small bits of tubing and drilled them so that the peg mount sits under the tube and with one bolt from the top I can screw it on securely.

So 2 pieces of tube onto the crash bars - they are like the ugly bit on the top LH because I needed to weld them onto the crash bars and the angle of the dangle was awkward.

The other 2, cut on an angle to fit the frame plate with a bolt welded inside, then drilled onto the little plate that sits behind the 2 frame down tubes.

So that gives me 4 small tube mounts and given they are drilled the same and the peg base has the nut welded to the back its pretty easy to unscrew the peg, fit it under the other frame tube and tighten up... coupla minutes.

Here is the end result while I find where the bits n pieces pic is.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 12:57:42 PM »
Here is the bits n pieces during engineering phase.

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
Lots of time to ponder a solution and voila !

So I bought some cheapy pegs from a local bike shop a while back, made sure they were mild steel. (ps I also had to weld a bit under the actual peg as it flexed up and down, just poor design, they could have put a lip underneath and fixed that during manufacture)

See attached photo for the bit n pieces, but effectively welded a nut on the back of the mount base that the actual peg is bolted onto.

Cut 4 small bits of tubing and drilled them so that the peg mount sits under the tube and with one bolt from the top I can screw it on securely.

So 2 pieces of tube onto the crash bars - they are like the ugly bit on the top LH because I needed to weld them onto the crash bars and the angle of the dangle was awkward.

The other 2, cut on an angle to fit the frame plate with a bolt welded inside, then drilled onto the little plate that sits behind the 2 frame down tubes.

So that gives me 4 small tube mounts and given they are drilled the same and the peg base has the nut welded to the back its pretty easy to unscrew the peg, fit it under the other frame tube and tighten up... coupla minutes.

Here is the end result while I find where the bits n pieces pic is.

Nice work  :047:  :047:  :031:  :031:
Thanks for sharing

Recent Topics

winded-staunch