Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] MEGAMEET 2020 - Coronavirus  (Read 3419 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline dallewed   wales

    • Tiger Master  ‐    328
    • ****
    • Topic Author

    Offline dallewed

    • Tiger Master
    • ****
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 328
    • Today is the correct time to do things
    • Bike/Model: 1200Scrambler XC
    • Country: wales
    MEGAMEET 2020 - Coronavirus
    on: Mar 15, 2020, 09.58 am
    Mar 15, 2020, 09.58 am
    Hi all

    I'm just putting this onto the forum for initial thoughts.

    The news/updates, intensity and effects of the Coronavirus is changing daily and as such, with the Megameet being only 8 weeks away this may have an adverse effect on the planned Megameet. At the moment the goal is for the Megameet to go ahead as planned, however this may change depending on advice given by the Government, instruction from the hotel/planned stopping places and well-being of attendees.Please note:

    * If you are planning to travel to the UK for the event, please liaise with your airline/ferry/train for their updated information with regard to travel to and from the UK
    * I will regularly liaise with the Hotel for further instruction from them and will update the group
    * If you decide to cancel your attendance, please deal with the hotel direct and highlight on the attendee thread. The hotel policy on booking was a non-refundable deposit - if the hotel changes it's policy, I will let you know.

    So, what are our options?

    Tom, Martin, Annie and I are still recycling the route as if the Megameet will be on the planned weekend. However, what are your thoughts?

    * Do you feel comfortable with going ahead as planned?
    * Should we just bite the bullet and rearrange to the Autumn (Mini-meet time), subject to the hotel being happy to delay the bookings?
    * What timelines should be in place for a decision whether to go ahead or delay?

    Lots of things to think about.............
    Nils Desperandum, Nils Carborundum

  • Offline GeoffS   wales

    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Master  ‐    776
    • *
      #1

    Offline GeoffS

    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Master
    • *
    • Posts: 776
    • Everyone with telekinetic powers, raise my hand.
    • Bike/Model: XC - Green/Black
    • Country: wales
    Re: MEGAMEET 2020 - Coronavirus
    Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2020, 10.40 am
    Mar 15, 2020, 10.40 am
    Good morning Dai
    Thanks for taking the time to do this update. I think we’d all agree that many of decisions will be out of your hands, ie whether the hotel remains open; international travel is permitted, etc., not an easy position to be in.
    As you have implied, an awful lot can happen in 8 weeks, and you are correct in stating that  a decision must be made sooner rather than later.
    Right..., my opinion, and please everyone it is MY opinion....
    Although I would be happy to attend in May, and I saying this “now”, I think that it may be the sensible thing to postpone and see if the hotel would shuffle the arrangements to later in the year, possibly a little earlier than the Minimeet time, so maybe September-ish.
    Whichever way we decide to go there will be “for and against”, but a decision needs to be made.
    Anyway, you have my vote on the decision you decide to make..., ‘cos it will be the right one.
    Cheers
    Geoff
    Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    Some poems rhyme,
    But this one doesn’t.

  • Offline Stevie.P   gb

    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    5702
    • *****
      #2

    Offline Stevie.P

    • Tiger Jedi
    • *****
    • Posts: 5702
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    • Country: gb
    Re: MEGAMEET 2020 - Coronavirus
    Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2020, 10.36 pm
    Mar 15, 2020, 10.36 pm
    Hi, I've been so preoccupied lately and away for the last 4 days that I hadn't really kept up to date with the virus situation (or news in general). Having watched this evenings earlier news the situation definitely appears to be ramping up for the worse and I can certainly see why this needs serious thought and addressing. :084:

    In my mind I'm actually in a good situation but do need to consider this extra seriously. I don't generally come in to contact with many people now I'm retired but unfortunately my wife works at Tesco and interacts with hundreds of the public putting her and therefor me at risk (though she is away at friends on holiday for another week yet) and as has been pointed out to me at last weeks cardio gym session by the cardio nurse that my recent heart issue puts me in the high risk category if I was to contract the virus. :006:

    I feel that 8 weeks, and allowing cancellation time, may not be enough to develop a clear idea. :027: I'm not worried about losing my hotel deposit last minute should the plug be pulled last minute but if the decision is made soon though, given the overall situation, I would hope that the hotel would actually concede moving our group deposits (provided rooms available) to any new date that may be agreed rather than penalise us. :187:

    Ideally I really hope it still looks viable in the next week or two as last year was such a washout for rides that the Megameet was the only riding highlight of the year and the boring commute to work. :151:

    :164: So for now and with the deposit being non-refundable it seems there is no need to contact the hotel in advance and lose the room until any firm decision is made overall to cancel …

    :007: … (and I'm still happy to go ahead on the basis I ride more than 2m apart and I don't need to mix as you lot are all far to intellectual for me anyway ('cept you Geoff  :008: ).
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


  • Offline Stevie.P   gb

    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    5702
    • *****
      #3

    Offline Stevie.P

    • Tiger Jedi
    • *****
    • Posts: 5702
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    • Country: gb
    Re: MEGAMEET 2020 - Coronavirus
    Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2020, 08.21 am
    Mar 16, 2020, 08.21 am
    *Originally Posted by dallewed [+]
    The news/updates, intensity and effects of the Coronavirus is changing daily and as such, with the Megameet being only 8 weeks away this may have an adverse effect on the planned Megameet.

    This mornings news certainly implies things are ramping up for the worse with the prediction of the epidemic expected to peak here in the UK in around 10 - 14 weeks, so (IMO) it isn't looking good and the majority of us here don't fall in the 'younger' more resistant age group category. :006:

    With views of this question nearing the 200 and 33 attendees listed for the Megameet and so far little response I think the decision looks like it may be totally being left to you Dai. :027:

    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


  • Offline dallewed   wales

    • Tiger Master  ‐    328
    • ****
    • Topic Author
    • #4

    Offline dallewed

    • Tiger Master
    • ****
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 328
    • Today is the correct time to do things
    • Bike/Model: 1200Scrambler XC
    • Country: wales
    Re: MEGAMEET 2020 - Coronavirus
    Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2020, 09.55 am
    Mar 16, 2020, 09.55 am
    Update to follow on new thread
    Nils Desperandum, Nils Carborundum

  • Offline healdem   england

    • ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    4645
    • *
      #5

    Offline healdem

    • ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • *
    • Posts: 4645
    • Bike/Model: 2011 800 ABS
    • Country: england
    Re: MEGAMEET 2020 - Coronavirus
    Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2020, 10.36 am
    Mar 16, 2020, 10.36 am
    my tuppeny haporth..
    we are still a long way off the event, 8 weeks or so. and the infection is around 14 days.
    There is no need to make final decision right now. be aware of what is going on, but there is no need to panic or for that matter be overly laid back.

    Unless the hotel closes or there is government diktat as in Italy & Spain about a lockdown, then it becomes a personal decision whether people want to attend or not. They should be free to make that decision.

    FWIW I am involved with a sailing club. We had a race yesterday. As organisers we did not do an additional formal risk assessment, our view was and remains there is no official advice to not continue as normal. We decided to schedule the race. If people turned up good for them, if they didn't likewise.  And although the position is not the same for for the 4 of you organising the event.

    Whatever you decide to do is by defintion right. make whatever call you feel is right. Having said that I'd caution making it this far out.

    And this is in no way adding to pressure. My view at present is even if you decide to cancel the event and the hotel closes, if you publish the route Ill still go out on the day and ride it. And Ill happily ride it again if you cna find another date to reschedule it.

    There is no compulsion of work, pay , family commitment that means people MUST attend the event. with one or two exception (one or two  :492:) we are all adults and are able to make decisions that are right for themselves.

    YOur call as to whether you run the meet or not, but as a please don't make that call this far out.




  • Offline KildareMan   ie

    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    9018
    • *****
      #6

    Offline KildareMan

    • Tiger Jedi
    • *****
    • Posts: 9018
    • Bike/Model: Moto Guzzi V7850
    • Country: ie
    Re: MEGAMEET 2020 - Coronavirus
    Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2020, 10.40 am
    Mar 16, 2020, 10.40 am
    Correction. The incubation period is approx 14 days. Infection post incubation = how long is a piece of string. Depends on individual, care received etc.
    Moto Guzzi V7 Centenario baby!

  • Offline healdem   england

    • ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    4645
    • *
      #7

    Offline healdem

    • ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • *
    • Posts: 4645
    • Bike/Model: 2011 800 ABS
    • Country: england
    Re: MEGAMEET 2020 - Coronavirus
    Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2020, 10.42 am
    Mar 16, 2020, 10.42 am
    For those travelling long distances, and im thinking of Jimmy and Ulli there undoubtedly other hurdles. I hope they have insurance to cover cancellation. Whether that insurance will kick in if the event is cancelled by the group of by the hotel and or government. it may be a good call to get in touch with Jimmy and find out when his travel date is, so you can make a reasonably definitive call closer to that date.

  • Offline Derchef1962   de

    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    1548
    • *****
      #8

    Offline Derchef1962

    • Tiger Jedi
    • *****
    • Posts: 1548
    • Bike/Model: 900 GT PRO 2021
    • Country: de
    Re: MEGAMEET 2020 - Coronavirus
    Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2020, 10.47 am
    Mar 16, 2020, 10.47 am
    I am posting here as I do not see a new thread on this topic.

    I see the chances of the Megameet taking place in May getting lower and lower every day. Yes it is still 8 weeks ahead but I do not think the measurements takien up by the various countries involved will stop end of April. Over here in Germany public life is about to stop right now: no concerts, no football matches with supporters etc. etc.

    As some of you know I am a Type I diabetic so I am more vulnerable to a virus disease than others in my age. As I'd rather die in the saddle then in a hospital bed as they say I'd like to keep my risk catching the virus as low as possible while keeping up with my every day life as normal as possible. That does include reducing the contact to groups of people.

    This being so I guess to get in contact with the Hotel and check what the possibilities are to postpone the Meet to September or so is something one should do right now. It is totally up to Dai and the others organising this Meet whether to actually postpone it or hope for the best. I fully support any of your decisions but may need to cancel my booking if the situation is not getting really better.

    It is really sad though, I had my routes already planned through France, going from Cherbourg to Portsmouth by ferry etc. etc. and I was really looking forward to do the trip, meet you guys and have fun.

    But I guess with the current situation we cannot turn a blind eye to this.

    Last Edit: Mar 16, 2020, 10.49 am by Derchef1962
    Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

  • Offline healdem   england

    • ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    4645
    • *
      #9

    Offline healdem

    • ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • *
    • Posts: 4645
    • Bike/Model: 2011 800 ABS
    • Country: england
    Re: MEGAMEET 2020 - Coronavirus
    Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2020, 10.54 am
    Mar 16, 2020, 10.54 am
    *Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
    Correction. The incubation period is approx 14 days. Infection post incubation = how long is a piece of string. Depends on individual, care received etc.

     :028: good to hear that from an informed perspective.

    Chatting to a friend who is a GP he has essentially said carry on with life. you can't hope to hide away from this unless you are fabulously wealthy and can disappear for 6 months or so, mebbe more.  even if you do shut up shop an re emerge in 6 months time the virus will still be out there and you will be newly minted fresh meat for it.

    He is onboard with the message that the only way to manage a virus such as this is to delay the spread of the infection, you will not be able to stop it. if most of the UK population get this virus (and he believes they will) then if the bell curve of the infection can be squashed down and broadend thats for the good. acute cases requiring medical intervention (around 15..25% he says) have a better chance of being accomodated in hospitals with suitably trained medical staff. his throwaway comment was get it early or get it late, but don't get it in peak symptom periods otherwise you may well end up in converted schools acting as temporary hospitals faking medical treatment but in reality acting more as hospices

    if you do get the infection and you are one of the 80% who will get a mild(er) dose, man (or woman) up. the worst will be over by day 10..12, and you will probably have a really bad 2 or possibly 3 days of really bad flu like symptoms.