Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] MEGAMEET 2020 - POSTPONED DUE TO CORONAVIRUS  (Read 11070 times)

• Offline Derchef1962   de

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1548

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 900 GT PRO 2021
    Re: MEGAMEET 2020 - POSTPONED DUE TO CORONAVIRUS
    Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2020, 02.50 pm
    Apr 23, 2020, 02.50 pm
    The demands for losening the tight grips are getting louder and louder. Some rules are simply stupid, just take this one: since Monday shops with less than 800 sqm may open again over here. Ok, but if you have 1200 sqm you can cordon off 400 sqm and you may open. They are actually reducing the space which is completely stupid as we have been told that distance is the key to win the war against the virus...We have the first court decisions saying that that rule is unlawful.

I do not want to think this to the end but we may come to a point where the society decides to live with much higher death rate as of today just to get the economy going. I learned from the leading national paper of Germany (FAZ) today that we had two influenza epedemics in the late 50's and early 60's killing more than 10,000 people each but the goverment played it down and no extra measures were taken. We might come to the conclusion that we had better done this.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5914

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2020, 11.25 pm
    Apr 23, 2020, 11.25 pm
    I know it sounds strange at the moment but I think you guys in Europe will ultimately be quite lucky as far as the ability to travel internationally is concerned as you can basically just get on your bikes or in your cars and drive wherever you want to go.
    The latest suggestion about air travel which of course we here downunder need to use to get anywhere is that with social distancing requirements being enforced on airlines in future economy class may effectively disappear and the new least expensive seats will be business class. That is going to put a massive additional cost for anybody wanting to fly anywhere particularly half way around the world.

• Offline tauzero   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    879

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2020, 12.06 am
    Apr 24, 2020, 12.06 am
    *Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
    I know it sounds strange at the moment but I think you guys in Europe will ultimately be quite lucky as far as the ability to travel internationally is concerned as you can basically just get on your bikes or in your cars and drive wherever you want to go.

Only the bits of Europe that aren't islands. Come 2021, travel to the mainland of Europe from the UK will probably become more of an ordeal. I assume that would also affect anyone coming from Ireland and heading for the North Sea crossings or the Spain ferries rather than going from Ireland to France.
    Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
    Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

• Offline healdem   england

• ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    4645

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 2011 800 ABS
    Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2020, 10.26 am
    Apr 24, 2020, 10.26 am
    *Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
    ...The latest suggestion about air travel which of course we here downunder need to use to get anywhere is that with social distancing requirements being enforced on airlines in future economy class may effectively disappear and the new least expensive seats will be business class. That is going to put a massive additional cost for anybody wanting to fly anywhere particularly half way around the world.

no it just means the air travel industry will wither away and die.
    It will, possibly, revert back to the pre 747 days, possibly pre jet days, when only the very very rich or those on expenses will be able to afford to fly.
    it  will also mean the idea of the package holiday, where sun starved northern Europeans flock to the Mediterraean countries for their two hols will disappear. who knows it may lead to a resurgence of trade in old holidaying haunts. perhasp thje revicial of the Flyde coast, Isle of man, South Wales. in Northern Europe the Baltic, perhaps the Netherlands. there may be somethign good out of this contagion after all

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5914

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #24 on: Apr 24, 2020, 11.27 am
    Apr 24, 2020, 11.27 am
    *Originally Posted by healdem [+]
    who knows it may lead to a resurgence of trade in old holidaying haunts. perhasp thje revicial of the Flyde coast, Isle of man, South Wales. in Northern Europe the Baltic, perhaps the Netherlands. there may be somethign good out of this contagion after all

That is what the smart operators are talking about here. The days of being able to rip off bus loads of Chinese tourists every single day with crappy made in China plastic boomerangs or Koala key rings are over. The next wave of tourism will be locals looking for something close to home but different from home.
    Living where I live I am so happy now the local villages are back to being local villages like they were when I moved here and once lockdown ends and there are moderate numbers of visitors without double parke 60 seater tour buses all day it will be great imo.

• Offline Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5702

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #25 on: Apr 24, 2020, 11.52 am
    Apr 24, 2020, 11.52 am
    I'm getting concerned that not only may the re-scheduled 2020 Megameet face a second cancellation due to UK restrictions but also our planned 2021 Germany Megameet be in question if there are cross border restrictions still kept in next year .... it is only next May given that restrictions look set, at some level here in the UK for the rest of 2020.  :003:
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline KildareMan   ie

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    9018

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Moto Guzzi V7850
    Reply #26 on: Apr 24, 2020, 12.17 pm
    Apr 24, 2020, 12.17 pm
    *Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
    Only the bits of Europe that aren't islands. Come 2021, travel to the mainland of Europe from the UK will probably become more of an ordeal. I assume that would also affect anyone coming from Ireland and heading for the North Sea crossings or the Spain ferries rather than going from Ireland to France.

Common Travel Area between UK/Ireland so possibly not an issue. Getting off ferry at other end there'll be several lines like airports - UK & EU.
    Moto Guzzi V7 Centenario baby!

• Offline healdem   england

• ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi  ‐    4645

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
    • Premier Member
    • Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 2011 800 ABS
    Reply #27 on: Apr 24, 2020, 12.24 pm
    Apr 24, 2020, 12.24 pm
    *Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
    I'm getting concerned that not only may the re-scheduled 2020 Megameet face a second cancellation due to UK restrictions but also our planned 2021 Germany Megameet be in question if there are cross border restrictions still kept in next year .... it is only next May given that restrictions look set, at some level here in the UK for the rest of 2020.  :003:

I agree with your thoughts, except I dont see any point in worrying about stuff we cannot control and is also far in the future.
    FWIW if the hotel isn't open in October we find another hotel, or find B&B's

if the UK isn't open for riding at that time we find another date

if Wales isn't open for riding then we find another location. I reckon we could happily go back to forest of dean for a weekend

if we cannot get to Germany in 2021, who cares, delay that event till we can, but don't lose sight of we are going to Germany at some stage (assuming Uli will still have us). Heck if Uli wants to organise an event next year and we can't make it then its his choice. this site is supposedly about the fellowship of riding. our megameets have never been picky about what bike you ride or who you are. if there are sufficient people within the EU who want to meet up then go for it. but as a plea just lets the UK riders get to  Uli ride when they can....

in short lets not think the worst, look to what keeps us together, what we have common interests in. lets go riding when we can. and when we can meet up lets do so.

Heck this years megameet coudl get dealyed to say march r April next year, then onto to Germany in May. Stay positive.

• Offline Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5702

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #28 on: Apr 24, 2020, 12.40 pm
    Apr 24, 2020, 12.40 pm
    I agree, I'm not 'worrying' about it or getting stressed, my 'concerned' was only an expression of potential dismay if things have to keep being put back. I don't want to have spent ages abstaining from going out on the bike due to virus restrictions to succumb to dying from old age waiting before I could.  :005: :008:
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline Derchef1962   de

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1548

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 900 GT PRO 2021
    Reply #29 on: Apr 26, 2020, 01.26 pm
    Apr 26, 2020, 01.26 pm
    Hey guys

Just don't worry, it is bad enough at the moment. I am still confident to get Megameet 2021 done here in Germany and you all may come from various parts of the world. If not it will be 2022. Frankly over the last few weeks I have learned that whatever my forecast for the future was I was completely wrong. So if I am unable to predict the future of the next weeks who can say what the situation will be in one year.

I am 100% sure that corona virus will have a lasting effect on our lives but I simply resist the idea it will change the way we used to live completely.

We need to think positively let the bad thinking be done by bad people they'll do it anyway.

One thing to stay positive is not losing the contact and this forum seems to work this way.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

winded-staunch