Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Getting Old I suppose  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Hen99

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xox
Re: Getting Old I suppose
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 11:42:18 AM »
Must say the baby KTM does look a smart machine. But as one or two have said...its all a compromise. I thnk a useable top speed of 90-100 would be ample  so maybe a shade more power.How about a decent 600 twin with 65-70 hp should be easy enough all with in 170 kilos .and the name Triumph Lynx   please send your royalties  to ......

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 12:48:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
This looks like it could be fun for us oldies.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/ktm-390-adventure/

That looks great. I wonder when Triumph are going to start rolling out their Bajaj-built rival.

https://www.visordown.com/news/industry/what-could-triumph-bajaj-deal-mean-bikers

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 09:44:18 PM »
The KTM sure is tempting for it's low weight, at least in Switzerland they are more expensive to maintain than Triumphs.

For a lower weight, cheap and reliable option you might want to check the Tracer 700, just 1kg heavier than the CB500X but 28hp more.
Honda's quality on bikes sure has lowered, Yamahas are not exceptional but no bad surprises either.

Offline NORTY

• Tiger Master
  • RiderCoach
  • Bike: 2012 800XC
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »
I ended up going with a Husqvarna 701, along with my 800XC. 2 different bikes with different jobs.
MSF RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!) :)

Offline Britigerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800ABS
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 05:40:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hen99 [+]
Anyway for those of us that are getting on a bit,  how about  a much smaller , lighter  baby tiger maybe a 450 twin 170 kilos,  it would be fine for solo touring   would probably be better offload as well
 :300:
A lighter bike would NOT suit me because of my adopted (keep falling off offroad, bones aren't flexible anymore, bad back, bad knee, hip needs replacing & wrists & elbows hurt!) riding style which is mainly tight to sweeping bends in almost deserted country roads (perfect tarmac) and also travelling long freeway miles a couple of times a year to get to places like Canada or Mexico.
My Tiger as l have it set up now with cushioned seat, windscreen with extenders top & sides, bar risers, padded & heated grips, & a $1000 splash out on Hyperpro suspension front & rear have turned it into "my" ideal machine.
The only reason l would go with a smaller engined bike would be for pure offroading, like when l had the DRZ 400.

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 05:43:12 PM »
[quote author=Djairouks

For a lower weight, cheap and reliable option you might want to check the Tracer 700, just 1kg heavier than the CB500X but 28hp more.
Honda's quality on bikes sure has lowered, Yamahas are not exceptional but no bad surprises either.
[/quote]

At 196kg and 835mm seat height it's still too tall and heavy for a lot of people.

Offline Britigerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800ABS
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 05:52:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
The KTM sure is tempting for it's low weight, at least in Switzerland they are more expensive to maintain than Triumphs.

Interesting post for 2 reasons......
1/That Tracer looks interesting.
2/ This is a Triumph forum, so why promote other brands?

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2020, 08:20:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Britigerider [+]
Interesting post for 2 reasons......
1/That Tracer looks interesting.

The OP asks for solutions I gave one, others said Honda or KTM, I don't see the issue and I'm
a 10 years owner of different Yamahas, still have a "good old" Fazer 8 gen 2 limited edition
65th anniversary, none ever let me down !

*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
At 196kg and 835mm seat height it's still too tall and heavy for a lot of people.

Yeah well I tend to forget this detail, as I'm blessed with long legs (89cm inseem), there's only
one bike I ever tried that I could not touch the floor, a first gen Versys 1000, with it's huge engine
spreading the legs, those yami 2 cylinder engines are crazy thin, so it might help as well.

Another contender could be the BMW 310 GS, I heard good things about it, even if BMWs are crazy
expensive to maintain and not always bullet proof, worth a look !
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/BMW_G310GS_17.htm
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:34:29 AM by Djairouks »

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 08:38:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Britigerider [+]

That is a bit harsh. This is the "On Two wheels" section of the forum so there is not any implied restriction here (or any other part of the forum that I know of) not to talk about other brands. Motorcycling is a broad church and that needs to be understood and accepted. Are you maybe suggesting that the Admins impose North Korean like rules on the forum?

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2020, 09:11:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
That is a bit harsh. This is the "On Two wheels" section of the forum so there is not any implied restriction here (or any other part of the forum that I know of) not to talk about other brands. Motorcycling is a broad church and that needs to be understood and accepted. Are you maybe suggesting that the Admins impose North Korean like rules on the forum?

:047: :492: north Korean rules, ahhh you killed me buddy !

Yeah so much for the biker mentality, we're all a big familly regardless of brands, if 2 wheels
bring you joy, be they Japanese, austrian or British, what's the problem !

Recent Topics

winded-staunch