Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2012 tiger 800xc gearbox issues - jerks on 1st gear  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Re: 2012 tiger 800xc gearbox issues - jerks on 1st gear
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2020, 07:27:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
I believe you're overthinking this. If as you state the master link is just a little tighter than the rest  then you're ok. :350:

Chico
Pictures show it's overtightened. O ring will eventually break down and cause premature chain wear.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »
It's difficult to ascertain the tightness from the pictures. one needs to measure and feel how much stiffer the master link is. Perhaps I didn't express myself well. I meant to say that the bike could be ridden sparingly while waiting for the new part. :031:

Chico

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2020, 10:02:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by jsarwar469 [+]
A few questions -
 Now the washer for the front sprocket how do guys bend it back without damaging the rubber on the front sprocket?

As Rtwo says, slightly pre-bend a starter flat . then I use my water pump/slip grip pliers as the tabs are never hard material. :028:

And do the master link looks okay? See attached pics. It is slightly stiff compared to the rest of the chain but wouldn't say by much., But enough to notice.

IMO you have overdone the rivet and when I zoom in it looks to me like you have actually caused the heads to split which isn't good, on top of a tight spot not being good. I would order a new link and redo it. I keep a spare link get mine from M and P online.
As my first ever rivetted DIY chain job I used the combination of Delboys clip and another clip (see link below) combined as my guide to do mine and took it slowly using my verniers to monitor the pressed heads diameter.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24021.0.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 10:46:49 PM by Stevie.P »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline jsarwar469

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2012 Triumph Tig
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2020, 10:13:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
All misfires or badly adjusted chain or another mechanical issues will be magnified in first gear.
I do agree with the others though you need to start at the front of the bike and go around it and check all the likely causes, chain adjustment and wear, front and rear sprocket wear, air filter cleanliness, clutch operation, etc. then get to the mechanical things like the stepper motor operation.

Thanks for all the help guys. So far I've done the sprockets and chain. I've checked the cush drive as well.
The issue is still there. The random sudden jerk in 1st gear.
Now I'm starting to look into changing the spark plugs. Clean/replace air filter. Hopefully I can resolve it

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2020, 05:17:33 AM »
I'm not saying this could be the problem, but your symptoms, random sudden jerk in 1st, is the same behaviour I had on a different bike and I finally tracked it down to an intermittent missing  spark caused by a faulty sp. plug cap. Felt the same as you describe.
One other time, same behaviour again and it turned out to be a dirty fuel pump.
As you have now worked over the sprockets and chain drive, see what the engine is doing. One tell-tale sign of an engine miss  would be a slight random  dip in the tacho  needle.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline jsarwar469

• Tiger Member
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2020, 11:29:16 PM »
So I think we got it figured out. While holding the front break and reving in 1st gear (as if you were trying to burn out) you can hear the engine rev up and then suddenly a clunk! We are thinking at this point it has to be the teeth or the splines on the first gear on the input/output shaft. Meh...not looking forward to the take apart of this as it's gonna be a lengthy process as it could only be taken apart from the top, right ?

Any guides out there?

Thanks for the help

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2020, 03:08:21 AM »
Does it only occur in first? No other gears?
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline jsarwar469

• Tiger Member
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2020, 06:11:38 AM »
Yes, only happening on 1st gear.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2020, 06:31:22 PM »
...the engine rev up and then suddenly a clunk! We are thinking at this point it has to be the teeth or the splines on the first gear on the input/output shaft. Meh...not looking forward to the take apart of this as it's gonna be a lengthy process as it could only be taken apart from the top, right ?
You could check the detent mechanism on the shift drum behind the clutch -- to see if that's ok and it is going all the way to 1st.
Maybe a bent shift fork not allowing full engagement of 1st gear dogs?
If so?, engine removal and split the cases.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Recent Topics