Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Diesel Low-Side - Heed bars save the day  (Read 378 times)

Offline Woodchukker

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: '13 Tiger 800 XC
Diesel Low-Side - Heed bars save the day
« on: March 23, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
Hey,

So i'm a new to the Tiger https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,27617.0.html and really pleased the bike had Heed crash bars mounted when I bought it. This weekend I went to help my brother-in-law move house and on my way back got caught by a Diesel spill in a corner. Gutted, the bike went without a hint of warning, luckily it was reasonably low speed, sub 40kph so I was fine.
The bike faired well also, slid on the Heeds and the pillion footrest, no other damage. Once I stopped sliding I jumped to my feet and ran towards the bike that was now in the opposite lan, just as I got there the tilt switch cut out the engine, nice.

I have a question though, the bike was lying on its right hand side, and oil began leaking out. Luckily a passer-by helped me get the bike upright again before too much leaked out. Is this normal? Where would the oil be leaking from?

Anyways, I went for a ride the day after, my confidence has taken a beating (maybe a good thing) but the bike seems to be OK.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Diesel Low-Side - Heed bars save the day
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 07:08:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Woodchukker [+]
I have a question though, the bike was lying on its right hand side, and oil began leaking out. Luckily a passer-by helped me get the bike upright again before too much leaked out. Is this normal? Where would the oil be leaking from?

My first simple check would be the oil filler cap O ring .... missing, damaged, age hardened?
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Woodchukker

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: '13 Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »
Good tip @Stevie.P but it was not leaking from there.
Unfortunately I was a bit Adrenaline'd up so I didn't take enough notice as to exactly where it was coming from but it was not the filler cap.

Offline pahiker

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCx
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 08:10:43 PM »
While not familiar with the Tiger's layout, on other bikes it could be from the airbox if the crankcase is vented to that. Hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in.

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 11:10:11 AM »
Maybe worth checking the engine cases are intact.  If you haven't already done so!
Ride to work. Work to ride

Recent Topics