Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger won't start after 48k service- Dealer tool says cool temp sen. high volts  (Read 359 times)

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 13 800 ABS
Just putting things back together after doing my 48k service.  I did also replace the t-stat this go around as my temps seem to wander a bit and also replaced a wonky fuel sender.  Anyways, she cranks but won't start.  The fuel gauge is working or at least at this point says fuel on a 1/3 tank of gas but I'm guessing it needs to learn a bit and get some movement in there.  The temp gauge just blinks and i can't remember if that is normal until it starts or what.  Dealer tool is saying high voltage on the coolant temp sensor.  Would it not run if it is dry?  I am pretty sure I got a big air pocket in there as I only put about a quart and a half of coolant in so far. 

Thanks

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
You need to make sure there is 2.4 litres of coolant in the system first. There are air bleed openings at the top of the radiator on the older models.
The temp display shouldn't blink.
After you are sure of the 2.4 L back in the system, go back and check all the connectors that you removed again, the temp sensor, fuel pump/gauge etc.
Then make sure you put the MAP sensor hose back onto the sensor.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 13 800 ABS
Everything was on and for whatever reason it wouldn't bleed no matter what I did tipping it etc over the past couple days.  Took the whole thing apart down to the temp sensor again and added oolant to it thru the temp sensor hole itself.  Guessing it wasn't happy about getting a new thermostat as never had an issue before.  I was amazed how horrible the gasket and how corroded the t-stat housing was for a bike that has had new coolant about every 1.5 years of its life and always the Triumph stuff.  Now if I can only figure out why the new fuel sender is either all on or all off. 

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
*Originally Posted by benebob [+]
Now if I can only figure out why the new fuel sender is either all on or all off.

If you haven't ridden the bike and assuming it starts I would go for a 10-15 minute ride. I've found Triumph Fuel gauges to be rather let's say temperamental particularly when the correct start sequence is not followed for whatever reason. Twice mine as refused to display anything then after about 10 minutes ride and stop and restart the bike it has come good.

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
What DTC do you have? It sounds like you have an out of range voltage reading suggesting a sensor or wiring fault rather than actual overheating. Could it be that you've swapped connectors for the temperature sensor and fuel gauge?

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
If the DTC is P0118 then this indicates a high voltage at the sensor input to the ECU, possibly caused by a faulty or disconnected sensor. I'm not sure if this would cause the bike not to start but there are a number of tests you can carry out to check the sensor. See the attached for info.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Recent Topics