Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 Does not tick over  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800,SV1000
Tiger 800 Does not tick over
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:12:46 AM »
Morning all. Hope you are all safe during the current times.
On leaving work yesterday(i am a key worker) the bike did not tick over under its own steam. I rode it in all ok in the morning. I turn the key & get all the electrics do their normal thing, fuel pump kicks in etc. I then hold clutch & press start button & get the bike trying to start but does not grab. If i turn the throttle she revs up fine but the moment i let the throttle go she stops.
So i could ride off with a bit of throttle, got up the rode & the bike ticked over fine with no throttle. When i got home & left her off for 10-15 to grease chain, i tried to start & she did the first couple of presses as she did 40 mins earlier at work but then she caught, all be it very stuttering.  :190:

'' Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art ''

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Tiger 800 Does not tick over
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 10:22:49 AM »
Start by cleaning the stepper motor linkage.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
  • Ride triumph, for the journey ahead
  • Bike: tiger800 XCA
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 08:18:03 PM »
check the battery voltage when the bike is ticking over, it should be about 13.7 to 14.4v if it is any less, you have a faulty reg rectifier, its a common problem on tigers, i would also check the small tube that goes to the air box on the right hand side underneath, if that was off it would cause the bike to idle high.

i would go for the rectifier as the source of the problem myself, as i have seen many threads on here with the same fault, but having read your post again, can i ask what year and mileage is the tiger.

try starting it with the fuel cap open, sometimes you can get a fuel lock if the breather pipes are blocked
never ride faster than you can think

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 08:53:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by tigerman1960 [+]
check the battery voltage when the bike is ticking over, it should be about 13.7 to 14.4v if it is any less, you have a faulty reg rectifier, its a common problem on tigers, i would also check the small tube that goes to the air box on the right hand side underneath, if that was off it would cause the bike to idle high.

i would go for the rectifier as the source of the problem myself, as i have seen many threads on here with the same fault, but having read your post again, can i ask what year and mileage is the tiger.

try starting it with the fuel cap open, sometimes you can get a fuel lock if the breather pipes are blocked
Hi Tigerman

Thanks for the knowledge. I can tell you it is a 2013 Tiger 800 ABS with about 42k miles. I purchased in Oct & poss only ridden about 5x & put no more than 300 miles on it. I will try out these suggestions whilst confined to barracks at the weekend.

Much appreciation to all suggestions

Thanks

alan
'' Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art ''

Offline tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 03:34:29 PM »
As kildareman has said make sure the stepper motor linkage is clean, you will have to take the tank off and the air box to really check it out properly, but its worth the effort, if you have a compressor and a blow gun, spray all the return springs with brake cleaner, then blow them off with the blow gun, if you don't have that, just blast them with something like wd40, and don't be afraid to use a full can and a toothbrush to clean everything, a 1" paint brush is also handy.
If you use brake cleaner, make sure you give it all a good spray the wd40 afterwards.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Cheers

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 04:15:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by tigerman1960 [+]
As kildareman has said make sure the stepper motor linkage is clean, you will have to take the tank off and the air box to really check it out properly, but its worth the effort, if you have a compressor and a blow gun, spray all the return springs with brake cleaner, then blow them off with the blow gun, if you don't have that, just blast them with something like wd40, and don't be afraid to use a full can and a toothbrush to clean everything, a 1" paint brush is also handy.
If you use brake cleaner, make sure you give it all a good spray the wd40 afterwards.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Cheers

i will keep you both informed. Thanks , i have all that kit.

alan :493:

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 05:37:42 PM »
Kildareman & Tigerman - IT WORKED !!!!!
 :020: :020:
I gave the stepper motor a good dowsing of WD40 & used my air compressor + brushes & now it works.
I did chk battery etc first as this was easiest fix to try.
How much plastic is there on one of these bikes... i am knackered from all the up & down, bending etc. Real ALE & SINGLE MALT time

Once again guys a MASSIVE thanks to you both :037:

Offline tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 09:39:17 AM »
Awesome news mate, so pleased we could help, that's what I love about forums, we are all here for each other, no matter what,  :046: glad to hear your a whisky and ale man, try osset brewery white rat, if you get chance, if you like an amber ale, its sex in a glass  :156:

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 10:14:49 AM »
 :028:
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 09:20:16 AM »
Hi Guys, me again.

I decided to travel to work on the Tiger this am but turned back after about 1km as the Engine Malfunction Indicator light remained on.  :034: This is the first ride after the work done on the Stepper motor. Is there a sensor/cable/pipe that i have missed or is there a reset mode i have to do with the keys or some wierd road side dance .... :087:

alan

Recent Topics

winded-staunch