Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dodgy relay?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Re: Dodgy relay?
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 02:48:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by tigerman1960 [+]
as far as i am aware, yes it is, it is an advanced and upgraded version of the triumph part, and a direct replacement.
Brill, I'll order from there then. Don't like waiting months for post to arrive.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 05:24:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Guyver [+]
Is the Squaredeals a MOSFET rectifier?

In my case, being under time pressures to get to the Megameet, I wasn't able to buy from Squaredeals as they were out of stock and awaiting a shipment from Germany. However I personally wasn't convinced it was MOSFET technology based on the wording .... 'modern classic rectifier' .... old type diodes? Also 'identical image' ... so looks the same on the outside only? .. and obviously the huge price difference.
As I said, they were out of stock and had they had them in stock I would have indeed purchased one and fitted it.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 07:47:29 PM »
To be honest I've barely done 1000 miles in the 4-5 years I've owned it. Work isn't great for using the bike as it's very rare I start and finish at the same location. Work supplied a small designated area to park the bike, bit we're not allowed to park after 1830hrs which is useless as most of the shifts where I could use the bike will finish after 2200hrs.

But if I can get another 4-5 years out of the replacement rectifier I'll be happy  :001:

Offline tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
  • Ride triumph, for the journey ahead
  • Bike: tiger800 XCA
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 09:33:26 AM »
Damn shame about the lockdown, I have a spare OEM early one you could have had for a reasonable price mate. But the post office near me is shut until further notice sorry dude, the square deals one will keep you going for many years I am sure. Stay safe.
never ride faster than you can think

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by tigerman1960 [+]
Damn shame about the lockdown, I have a spare OEM early one you could have had for a reasonable price mate. But the post office near me is shut until further notice sorry dude, the square deals one will keep you going for many years I am sure. Stay safe.
Thanks mate 👍

They are standing down 80% of the work force at my place and giving them 3 weeks off on full pay. I'm one of the unlucky ones who's still working. Hopefully the part arrives when I've got the day off so I can fit it. Not that I can really enjoy the fruits of my labour as we're not allowed to ride with the lock down either.

And to add insult to injury, my bike insurance is due and so is my tracking subscription  :232:

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2020, 01:48:48 PM »
 The rectifier should be here today. I've stripped the old one off which was a nightmare. Mr radiator bracket at the top is bent over to the left so when it's bolted on it pushes the radiator over to the right (from front).

I've had to remove the engine guards which was also fun as the nuts had seized up. The rectifier didn't want to escape but eventually gave up. It's got FH012AB written on it so I'm guessing it's the original MK1 rectifier. Hopefully the whole thing will fit back together easier than it came apart.

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 04:53:06 PM »
ARGHHHHHH
 DPD have lost my parcel.
The bike is in bits all over the garage and they said I need to get in touch with the seller and ask for another to be sent out.
I've called them and they don't answer the phone.

If I don't get to work Thursday morning, then the nurses at the QE hospital in Birmingham also don't get to work.  :232: :232: :232:

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »
Rectifier delivered at 12 noon today.

Not as heavy as the original unit and the back is a black resin instead of the the aluminium cover on the original too. Both plugs were black whereas the original is black and grey.

It's fitted, it's a pain in the backside to fit too. The engineer who decided to fit it behind the radiator should have a swift kick in the balls.

The charge rate is now around 14.25 volts. It did flash up at 17v for a split second when revving it high then settled back down.

So hopefully it's now fixed.

On a side note, when the ignition is on, the OEM heated grip switch goes RED, AMBER then off. Is that right??  I don't recall ever seeing it do that before.
Also neither spotlight works now. I've removed the blown bulb on the 1 side but the other was working. Have I broken something else while fitting the rectifier??

Offline tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
  • Ride triumph, for the journey ahead
  • Bike: tiger800 XCA
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2020, 12:56:25 PM »
you will be pleased to know that the reg/rec on the new 900 is in between the two radiators and right at the front, so it is very easy to get to, but i have to say i found the 800 fairly straight forward, but i have a lot of very strange tools in the garage, maybe that made it an easier job for me.

glad to hear to hear you got it fitted, and the answer to question one is : YES your heated grips should light up like that, its just that they are hard to see in daylight.

as for the spotlights, it just sounds like a wire is still disconnected somewhere, all you can do is try tracing the wires and hope you find the break, or has the fuse blown, check your fuses under the main seat.

the voltage is showing spot on now, but i am a bit worried about that surge to 17v you saw, that shouldn't have happened, i would fully charge the battery overnight, then in the morning take it off charge, leave it for an hour or two to settle, then test the voltage with nothing switched on, you should get about 12.5 to 12.8v possibly up to 13v.

then turn the ignition on with nothing else, and you should get 12.5v dropping slowly to 12.4/3v

then keeping the meter on the battery, start the bike, you should see the meter read about 10.5V on full drain.

on tickover you should see about 13.7v but when you rev it to no more than 2000 revs, you should get a steady 14v or very close, but never more than 14.8V

good luck , and i hope this helps mate.
never ride faster than you can think

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2020, 02:19:39 PM »
Heated grips have two settings, Red is high/boost, and orange is maintain, I think.

Recent Topics