Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lockdown Maintenance  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Lockdown Maintenance
« on: April 04, 2020, 05:02:27 PM »
I'm keeping busy doing an extended service on a mate's Tiger right now and I thought we could start a thread for jobs that you should really do but are not on the service schedule after coming across this on a 2.5 year old model.
Everyone could and should check this known issue as it can ruin your day and cost a few quid if left unattended
Those of us that have been around a while will already be doing this.

Some people relocate the fuse for better access and but there's no need if you keep on top of it

So I'll start with Job 1:

Corrosion to electrical connections in the battery box
Take it all out for inspection, cleaning and protection - I favour silicone grease but WD40, vaseline or whatever will do the job
You could find it's like this when you take it out, caught in time on this one

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Lockdown Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 07:01:18 PM »
I'm waiting on fork oil so I've removed the instruments and am repeating the silver surround. It's going to be all silver
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 08:56:50 AM »
Tiger 800 12k Service work early -

Wasn't going to do it so soon, but started doing the "ancillary" 12k mls service stuff, stripped the swinging arm out , not as hard to do as I thought it might be, to re-grease the bearings. Not a lot of grease in the needle rollers as found, cleaned them up and applied a good amount in the bearings, not there is much movement on these bearings.

All freshly greased -

I'll also do the rear suspension linkages while the arm is out, gives much easier access. Won't change the chain guide/runner yet , that can be changed easily nearer the 12k..

I am going to follow with the headstock bearing greasing when the rear is back together, pics to follow..

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 02:44:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
I'm keeping busy doing an extended service on a mate's Tiger right now and I thought we could start a thread for jobs that you should really do but are not on the service schedule after coming across this on a 2.5 year old model.
Everyone could and should check this known issue as it can ruin your day and cost a few quid if left unattended
Those of us that have been around a while will already be doing this.

Some people relocate the fuse for better access and but there's no need if you keep on top of it

So I'll start with Job 1:

Corrosion to electrical connections in the battery box
Take it all out for inspection, cleaning and protection - I favour silicone grease but WD40, vaseline or whatever will do the job
You could find it's like this when you take it out, caught in time on this one

Yesterday, I did exactly that and found mine was starting to corrode, not quite as bad as the one in your picks but bad enough.
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 03:46:12 PM »
For those in the UK and Ireland, Nippy Normans has some bargain prices on ACF50 - free delivery too

https://www.nippynormans.com/acf-50
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 05:30:33 PM »
http://imgur.com/a/2yCJRkM

Happy enough. Hammerite Smooth Silver

Clean up to do yet.

Offline Maxrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 06:18:40 PM »
Will be following this thread thanks  :152:, the lockdown is giving me a chance to try and do my own servicing, my tiger is due its 18k service, I think I have all the tools I need to complete and will be checking under the battery as I've never removed it!

Cheers for the info
2013 Tiger 800 ABS. MTC end can running TCMT Hybrid map. Night Eye LED lamps. LED pilot light. LED indicators. Shorty Triumph levers. Puig Dark smoke screen. Highsider Barend mirrors on R&G barends, coolcovers seat cover. 52l Kappa topbox. 17T front sprocket. Oxford heated grips.

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 08:14:03 AM »
In regards to the ridiculously located main fuse/solenoid under the battery.  I was contemplating doing the fuse relocation mod that a few members have done but that would only allow eased replacement of the fuse, it does not resolve the real issue, which is water ingress in the event of a blocked drain hole, though my drain has not been blocked, water has still made its way into the starter terminal at the solenoid and started furring up.

QUESTION - Has anyone successfully relocated the whole shebang, or managed to completely seal it to prevent any further issues?

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 08:21:36 AM »
Another question please - 2018 XCA - Are there any issues in disconnecting the two top connectors from the ECU, in order to remove ECU, to gain further access to that area under the seat.  Will I have  any issues after reinstalling, such as error codes requiring software etc, is it OK to temporarily disconnect?

Thank in advance

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 08:52:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 [+]
Another question please - 2018 XCA - Are there any issues in disconnecting the two top connectors from the ECU, in order to remove ECU, to gain further access to that area under the seat.  Will I have  any issues after reinstalling, such as error codes requiring software etc, is it OK to temporarily disconnect?

Thank in advance

No issues.
You will have to ride a few km afterwards for fuel gauge to read again though.

Recent Topics