Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Nissin Caliper Pad Pin - Top Tip  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Woodchukker

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: '13 Tiger 800 XC
Nissin Caliper Pad Pin - Top Tip
« on: April 05, 2020, 07:32:16 PM »
Hey,

I'm new to the tiger, just bought a used 800xc. I didn't notice the brake calipers at first however, I noticed today that they are exactly the same as used to be fitted to previous generation Africa Twins and Transalps (probably many more models).

Anyway, on the above Honda's the Pad Pins and their Cover Cap/Screws are a much discussed pain in the proverbial, so as soon as I noticed them today I had a go at releasing the Cover Screws. As luck had it they came off easy enough which really is not always the case. I subsequently ordered up a set of Titanium Pins.

This is the top tip by the way, replace the pins with Titanium ones, discard the Cover Screws, they have no mechanical purpose. Once I a while, for example when oiling your chain, wind out your new Titanium pad screws then screw them back in again, just to keep the threads clean. Do not use copper grease or any other such substance. Welcome to hassle free pad changes, here comes the caveat, 'Trust me, it works'

On another note, the calipers used to suffer from rot. They would seize because of internal corrosion, requiring subsequent overhaul, only to need the same the following year. This became really tiresome for many, the reputed solution was changing the pistons for stainless steel ones although I have not verified this personally as a fix. Not sure if this is an issue on ours calipers either, but thought I would throw this little pearl out there.

Cheers.

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
Re: Nissin Caliper Pad Pin - Top Tip
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:02:40 PM »
this has been discussed here a few times.

My opinion is that your advice is dangerous.

I believe that the little outer cap that you advocate ditching is a secondary locking device. In the event that your pad pin starts to unwind, the cap is there to stop the pin from making a bid for freedom thus leaving your pads free to fall out and no front brakes.

Leave that little outer cap in place.

Caveat - I'm a safety engineer but not in the automotive industry and it's your bike and your life to do with whatever you like.

BTW - an impact driver gets the cap moving in one or two hammer blows every time.

Offline Woodchukker

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: '13 Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 06:38:52 AM »
Valid concern taff, and being a Safety Engineer, the correct one for you.

I don't recommend anyone to do any kind of work on their brakes without the experience, knowledge and understanding of the work they need to carry-out and what it entails. Glad you have had success with your impact driver  :028:

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 08:33:28 AM »
I have always applied a tiny smear of copper slip on that retaining plug/cap on all my bikes over many years and have NEVER had any issues, corrosion or seizing, even when used throughout many UK winters.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:36:11 AM by Bladerunner99 »
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 08:51:49 AM »
Bought a set of the Stainless pins here many moons ago. Still stainless  :169:
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
  • Ride triumph, for the journey ahead
  • Bike: tiger800 XCA
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 09:18:20 AM »
I also put a smear of copper slip on the pin threads, and the cap threads, if you leave the cap off, grime,salt and dirt get in there, and when you have to unscrew the pins to remove the pads, you are drawing them through fine threads ingrained with dirt,no matter how well you clean them, that cannot be good for the threads,I have always fitted stainless pins, and never had a problem getting the cover grub screw of with just a screwdriver.
never ride faster than you can think

Offline EvW1985

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800 XC
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 07:34:32 AM »
Dear all, this is not a top tip and should be ignored. Two reasons:
- ditching the plug will eventually result in damaging the caliper threads
- the plug is there for safety, to prevent the pin from unwinding and thus leaving the driver with no brake at all!

Offline Taffswell1

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRT
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 07:50:27 AM »
Changed the front pads on my well looked after 4year old xrt this weekend.  All went well until I was tightening up the last Caliper pin - the hex socket rounded :435:  My pins hadnt seized - they came out ok. Id cleaned the calipers and pads last summer (pads didnt need replacing at that time) and used red grease on pistons, a little copper grease on pins and threads.  I cleaned the pins again this time and put a little copper grease on the shaft and yes on the thread. I inserted the pin by hand using a new hex key and screwed most of way in. Then switched to a 5mm hex socket with my torque wrench set to 18Nm. Slowly tightening and then it rounded.  Having looked at what Id done, and the tools (checked the torque wrench) I think the hex socket and pin hex slot were both not perfect.

Luckily Ive got the old pin out and ordered a new one which Ill be checking the hex slot with a new hex socket to see how tight the fit is. Definitely slack on the old pin (the one that didnt round).

I tried the usual tips to remove the bolt - elastic band, torx head, etc but the pin is soft and just got rounder. Eventually bought a Sealey multispline extractor set and removed it with ease.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 09:23:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Taffswell1 [+]
Changed the front pads on my well looked after 4year old xrt this weekend.  All went well until I was tightening up the last Caliper pin - the hex socket rounded

Read lots of similar posts, imo that 18Nm is too much, each to their own on that.
I nip the pins with allen key, I checked what my feel tight is with torque wrench 10Nm. Done same on both my T800 & T1050 & all previous trumpets, never had a problem with pins in over 150k miles.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 12:21:29 PM »
Paulvfr's replacement stainless pins are the better alternative.
1. Stainless = bling

2. Have a 6mm hex head so use a socket on them.

Also just nip up rather than torque
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Recent Topics

winded-staunch