Tiger 800 / 900 - Main Discussion Section > Brakes and ABS

Nissin Caliper Pad Pin - Top Tip

<< < (2/3) > >>

tigerman1960:
I also put a smear of copper slip on the pin threads, and the cap threads, if you leave the cap off, grime,salt and dirt get in there, and when you have to unscrew the pins to remove the pads, you are drawing them through fine threads ingrained with dirt,no matter how well you clean them, that cannot be good for the threads,I have always fitted stainless pins, and never had a problem getting the cover grub screw of with just a screwdriver.

EvW1985:
Dear all, this is not a top tip and should be ignored. Two reasons:
- ditching the plug will eventually result in damaging the caliper threads
- the plug is there for safety, to prevent the pin from unwinding and thus leaving the driver with no brake at all!

Taffswell1:
Changed the front pads on my well looked after 4year old xrt this weekend.  All went well until I was tightening up the last Caliper pin - the hex socket rounded :435:  My pins hadnít seized - they came out ok. Iíd cleaned the calipers and pads last summer (pads didnít need replacing at that time) and used red grease on pistons, a little copper grease on pins and threads.  I cleaned the pins again this time and put a little copper grease on the shaft and yes on the thread. I inserted the pin by hand using a new hex key and screwed most of way in. Then switched to a 5mm hex socket with my torque wrench set to 18Nm. Slowly tightening and then it rounded.  Having looked at what Iíd done, and the tools (checked the torque wrench) I think the hex socket and pin hex slot were both not perfect.

Luckily Iíve got the old pin out and ordered a new one which Iíll be checking the hex slot with a new hex socket to see how tight the fit is. Definitely slack on the old pin (the one that didnít round).

I tried the usual tips to remove the bolt - elastic band, torx head, etc but the pin is soft and just got rounder. Eventually bought a Sealey multispline extractor set and removed it with ease.

Paulhere:
Originally Posted by Taffswell1 Changed the front pads on my well looked after 4year old xrt this weekend.  All went well until I was tightening up the last Caliper pin - the hex socket rounded

Read lots of similar posts, imo that 18Nm is too much, each to their own on that.
I nip the pins with allen key, I checked what my feel tight is with torque wrench 10Nm. Done same on both my T800 & T1050 & all previous trumpets, never had a problem with pins in over 150k miles.

KildareMan:
Paulvfr's replacement stainless pins are the better alternative.
1. Stainless = bling

2. Have a 6mm hex head so use a socket on them.

Also just nip up rather than torque

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version