Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Shock replacement  (Read 3465 times)

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Rear Shock replacement
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2020, 11:39:20 AM »
:151:  It is also becoming a 'repeat' thread (and elsewhere) with needlessly quoting the previous post when clearly a running conversation doesn't need it. If reflecting something said a bit previous fair enough but I'm sure not everyone has the luxury of unlimited internet allowance to waste.  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2020, 07:21:15 PM »
A most serendipitous day.

Stripped the suspension to clean and re-grease  prior to the HyperPro arriving Tuesday. Found x3 of the anti vib mounts broken - x2 Triumph and x1 aftermarket. The triumph ones are toast. Only had 2 new so decided to clean up and reglue the aftermarket. I used Gorilla glue. You need to wet one surface to activate it. Left it in the vice for a couple of hours to set.

Mounts

Repair

oem after 9 years

No sooner than I had the suspension linkages cleaned and re-greased and wrapped up for arrival of the shock and there's a knock on the door. Shock arrived!!!

Opening

All wrapped up

Stuff inside box

The shock itself.

Fitted - top

Fitted - bottom

Refitted the bash plate - Altrider with repaired and new anti vib mounts.

Loaded up the bike and did the sag as per HyperPro's instructions

A-((B+C)/2)

A =  full extension (on centre stand)
B = Resting(both wheels on ground without rider)
C = Rider in full kit on bike

Aiming for 30 +/- 5

Settled on 31 with +2.75 turns

Happy out.

Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline di_andrei

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2020, 03:49:07 PM »
Any reviews on how it rides?

I'm exactly in your situation, 800XC is coming up to 9 years and the rear shock is done. I was looking for alternatives when I stumbled upon this thread. Happy with your choice? I was looking at the Ohlins but it's both pretty expensive and not in stock around me.

Offline di_andrei

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2020, 03:57:05 AM »
Also, from the pictures it looks like you picked the emulsion shock and not the hose reservoir version - any reason why? And have you considered getting the Streetbox (with the front and rear suspension)? Prices look quite reasonable.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »
Mine's a Tiger 800 not an 800XC. It came with non reservoir shock so didn't see a need to pay extra for one. I rarely adjust the suspension once set. I have set mine slightly firm, so added weight not an issue.
It rides really well now. Am much happier now. Certainly combined with new tyres it feels like a completely different bike.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Recent Topics