Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Shock replacement  (Read 5708 times)

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Rear Shock replacement
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2020, 11:39:20 AM »
:151:  It is also becoming a 'repeat' thread (and elsewhere) with needlessly quoting the previous post when clearly a running conversation doesn't need it. If reflecting something said a bit previous fair enough but I'm sure not everyone has the luxury of unlimited internet allowance to waste.  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2020, 07:21:15 PM »
A most serendipitous day.

Stripped the suspension to clean and re-grease  prior to the HyperPro arriving Tuesday. Found x3 of the anti vib mounts broken - x2 Triumph and x1 aftermarket. The triumph ones are toast. Only had 2 new so decided to clean up and reglue the aftermarket. I used Gorilla glue. You need to wet one surface to activate it. Left it in the vice for a couple of hours to set.

Mounts

Repair

oem after 9 years

No sooner than I had the suspension linkages cleaned and re-greased and wrapped up for arrival of the shock and there's a knock on the door. Shock arrived!!!

Opening

All wrapped up

Stuff inside box

The shock itself.

Fitted - top

Fitted - bottom

Refitted the bash plate - Altrider with repaired and new anti vib mounts.

Loaded up the bike and did the sag as per HyperPro's instructions

A-((B+C)/2)

A =  full extension (on centre stand)
B = Resting(both wheels on ground without rider)
C = Rider in full kit on bike

Aiming for 30 +/- 5

Settled on 31 with +2.75 turns

Happy out.

Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline di_andrei

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2020, 03:49:07 PM »
Any reviews on how it rides?

I'm exactly in your situation, 800XC is coming up to 9 years and the rear shock is done. I was looking for alternatives when I stumbled upon this thread. Happy with your choice? I was looking at the Ohlins but it's both pretty expensive and not in stock around me.

Offline di_andrei

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2020, 03:57:05 AM »
Also, from the pictures it looks like you picked the emulsion shock and not the hose reservoir version - any reason why? And have you considered getting the Streetbox (with the front and rear suspension)? Prices look quite reasonable.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »
Mine's a Tiger 800 not an 800XC. It came with non reservoir shock so didn't see a need to pay extra for one. I rarely adjust the suspension once set. I have set mine slightly firm, so added weight not an issue.
It rides really well now. Am much happier now. Certainly combined with new tyres it feels like a completely different bike.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: FZ1N, XJR1300
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2020, 08:12:03 PM »
In my humble opinion Nitron shocks are the best you can buy for the money in that price range ie 500. Much better than hyper pro and WP and other around the same price. Of course you can go Ohlins but there low end shocks are not as good as Nitron. But of course Ohlins high end stuff is up there with the best you can buy. But pricey
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2020, 02:23:33 PM »
Forgot to add am not knocking other aftermarket shocks like Hyperpro or WP they are all very very good shocks. In fact I only by Hyperpro steering dampers as I think they are up there with the best of them. have one on my fz1n and my 2015 xjr1300

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2020, 09:03:03 PM »
My Nitron shock will turn up at end of next week thank god. Did hardknott pass last week on tiger. The suspension was under a bit of pressure trying to keep up with my mate on his 1250 multistrada so was going just a tad to fast for the route and road conditions. Also just fitted a new satnav mount from behind the clocks for my new tomtom 550 I just bought. Really good mounts a lad is selling on eBay well made comes up from behind the clocks so your satnav is just above the clocks. As you all will already know better place to have the nav.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2020, 09:38:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by ENGLISHBANDIT [+]
.... Did hardknott pass last week on tiger. The suspension was under a bit of pressure .....

I did a Lakes Passes loop last week and the same route in reverse this week and of the 5 Passes the Hardknott surface is extremely poor, a lot of it is almost like riding over giant cobble stones running down the middle. :005:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2020, 09:30:33 PM »
You know it mate we did both ways in a day over from one side though Bradford skipton over from that side to the lake Windermere  then lunch and back again with a few detours. 10 hours on the bike at end of day. Set off at 8.30 got home at 7.30 we only stopped for lunch and a 15min fuel fill up. We did just under 330 miles but as you know hardknott pass is really bumpy and poor road conditions, at speed anyway back wheel was jumping and losing traction in a lot of places. Got a lot worse I think since last year. Dont remember it being so bad last year but I was on the fz and that has a Nitron shock on it 🤔 and is fun on the twisties . Nice ride though not that I seen much of it this time just chasing a brake light most of the time. if my mate did not brake going round a bend or over a hump I didnt only way I could keep up, was on wrong bike that day.  Hope to get up to Snowdon once I change the rear shock if we have a nice day that is. Tiger is a nice bike for long distance
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:38:05 PM by ENGLISHBANDIT »

Recent Topics