Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Light Error Message  (Read 817 times)

Offline Maviso

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
Rear Light Error Message
« on: April 19, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »
Experts required :187:

Have enjoyed a commercial US auxiliary LED tail & stop light since my first Tiger 800, then moved to Tiger XRX and today tried moving it to new Tiger 900 GT Pro. Very simply unit comes with "piggy back loom" that plugs into original Triumph connector and so parallels the standard unit and sits above standard tail light. Works as "brighter than original" tail light and also flashes X number of times when brakes applied. No problems with MOT either. See attached photo. Simplesssss! Yes?

Today took half of rear end of 900 apart to locate Triumph connector for stop & tail light and yes same connectors as before. Threaded connectors and wiring, connected up. Switched on ignition and yes all working as expected.

Spent rest of afternoon putting back end of 900 back together. Started engine - rode into garage - applied brakes - "Error with rear light - see dealer". Neither standard nor auxiliary LEDs lit! Everything else working so probably not blown fuse. Hmmmm!

Switched off engine & ignition. Switched ignition back on and all working as expected. Started engine - all working as expected until brakes applied and yes you've guessed it - out they went & warning on dash.

This sounds like a cunning CPU detecting alterations to standard loom? In any event I wouldn't  know where to start. Is it a case of binning my trusty "dozy driver alert" - or is there a workaround? :155:

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Rear Light Error Message
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 07:44:00 PM »
1st guess. Reads as if CAMBUS has extended to rest of loom over the restricted cambus on the 800. Probably need similar trickery to the BMW addons to get it working.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 07:52:00 PM »
You could try using the parallel harness to fire a relay rather than direct to the light.
I had to do it like that on my KTM to avoid warning messages

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 10:51:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
You could try using the parallel harness to fire a relay rather than direct to the light.
I had to do it like that on my KTM to avoid warning messages
This is your best option. You need to put minimal additional load on the circuit.

No clever CAN bus trickery going on, just simple current monitoring from the Chassis ECU. It sounds like it detected excess current so temporarily shut down the circuit for protection. Triumph have been doing similar things to this for over 8 years on certain models. I first saw it with the indicators on the Mk1 Explorer.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Maviso

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 11:57:49 PM »
:0461: Parallel harness & relay sounds like the simplest way forward.

Two questions if that's OK?

• There isn't much room in that area for the relay so how small a relay is possible & where from please.
  • I may need to source (matching the same style as Triumph) a pair of male/female connectors - again any ideas?

Really appreciate the help I'm getting on this.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 06:21:45 AM »
I have no idea what connectors Triumph use on the new models. The ones I needed were JST.
Try looking for them on the CPC website, you should also be able to pick up a suitable relay there, shouldn't need more than 3A

The pic below is what I made up (a failed one) for my KTM
It just sits inline with the rear lamp without any need to cut or splice the OEM harness

The white cable with the blue crimp is the relay trigger

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Macduff6

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 04:45:25 PM »
Maviso, I have exactly the same problem with the very same bike (GT900 Pro).  Did you ever find the solution for it?  Thanks.

Offline Maviso

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 05:44:27 PM »
Hi, after many false starts fiddling with relays & wiring variations I bought this particular unit

"smart tech system DECELERATION DETECTING SMART BRAKE SYSTEM" - "https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113202859673?var=0" here in the UK and it works just fine.

In some ways it is better as it works on deceleration not just on the brakes having been applied - ie down through the gears. There seem to be many variants now - some cheaper - but this was good quality and with good user feedback. I think it originated in the US as well.

Good luck & safe riding :002:

Offline Macduff6

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 07:25:03 PM »
Awesome information.  Thanks so much.  Come ride the Rockies, sometime!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 08:49:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Macduff6 [+]
... Come ride the Rockies, sometime!

Unfortunately in a rental car but did the "Going to the Sun"drive in Glacier National Park last year from west gate to east gate and back ..... amazing scenery.  :017: :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics