Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Light Error Message  (Read 825 times)

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Rear Light Error Message
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 10:20:12 PM »
My reply is 'after the fact' because it appears your ok now, but I was going to suggest a simple solution, maybe others could use.
As pointed out earlier, the ECU senses current on these circuits and flags an error if the current is out of nominal range. A simple solution is to measure the difference in current draw between the OEM and after market lights. Then use a resistor in series to get back to the OEM current value. You will sacrifice the additional brightness you thought you had, but no error logged. Life is full of these little compromises.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 08:54:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
My reply is 'after the fact' because it appears your ok now, but I was going to suggest a simple solution, maybe others could use.
As pointed out earlier, the ECU senses current on these circuits and flags an error if the current is out of nominal range. A simple solution is to measure the difference in current draw between the OEM and after market lights. Then use a resistor in series to get back to the OEM current value. You will sacrifice the additional brightness you thought you had, but no error logged. Life is full of these little compromises.

The OP implied that he was installing his additional light as well as the OEM unit. His posting contains the following words parallels the standard unit and sits above standard tail light . In that case there would be little chance of restricting the current draw to the normal OEM value. The best that could be achieved would be to minimise the additional current draw by use of a relay, whether conventional coil version or maybe a solid state version. The latter would seem to offer the best option for minimising the extra current requirement.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 09:45:25 AM »
Yes, apologies,  I missed his comment about the new unit being in parallel. I mistakenly thought it was a replacement, and didn't notice the photo.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Recent Topics

winded-staunch