Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil top-up - Semi or Fully?  (Read 350 times)

Offline Cokkee

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2015 XRX
Oil top-up - Semi or Fully?
« on: April 29, 2020, 09:59:10 AM »
Hi all

I need to top-up the oil on my 2015 XRX.  Manual says either semi or fully synthetic, but I don't know what's already in there and because of the lockdown, the garage that did the service isn't open to ask.  The invoice says 10w40, but doesn't specify the type.

Question is, does it matter if I top-up with a different synthetic type?

Many thanks

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Oil top-up - Semi or Fully?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 10:16:26 AM »
Not really no.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Snooky

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 10:37:56 AM »
the specification for the oil is 10w-40 so as long as it is that it doesn't matter to much as long as only adding small amount.
The difference between semi, fully and normal is it's ability to stay at that viscosity for a set amount of time I believe and means it will last longer in the engine, I may be mistaken but that was the info i have been told. I always run my on fully as I can get it cheaper than most, but as it is now 8 years old not sure it makes that much difference
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 10:49:45 AM »
Hi and :401:

Semi and fully synthetic can be mixed no problem, at worse you create a semi mix. It's synthetic and old fashioned mineral oil mixing that needs avoiding (but will still lubricate) mainly as the mineral will degrade the overall performance of the resulting mix.

IMO - So I would top up with fully ... you then either retain fully synthetic if already in there or at worse create a semI synthetic if semi already in there.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 05:22:36 PM »
There may be "caveats" though?: That would be if you went for one of the expensive "botique" synthetics.
Nowadays, the difference between semi-synthetic and full-synthetic oils - in commonly available / popular brands - is often a matter of 'degree' -- they're quite similar in construction and differ mainly in types and amounts of additives.
Exotic synthetic oils, OTOH, come to the game from a very different place -- although they may be quite good at what they do (just not very similar).
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Recent Topics

winded-staunch