Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Airhawk seat cushion  (Read 981 times)

Offline Billb

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Airhawk seat cushion
« on: May 02, 2020, 11:55:50 AM »
Not getting out on the bike so looking for things to do.  About to clean all of the engine and sub frame.  Scott Oilers make such a mess, even with the right setting and road dirt seems to get into every nook and cranny.
I know Airhawks have been discussed before but I can still remember my numb bum, even with comfort seat and gel upgrade.
Sargent and all the others have conflicting reports.  Some folks love them others think they are a waste of money.  Probably down to your weight, height and seating position.  Not going to spend 300 plus to find out if anything would be better.  Airhawk might be the solution.
My problem is which one.  Airhawk recommend Cruiser small, 18"x12".  The forum seems to like Cruiser medium, 14"x14".  I measured my seat.  It is 12" wide so why a cruiser medium at 14"?  It is 12" from the very back of the seat to the point the seat starts to slope upwards.  So why a Cruiser Small at 18".
I have noticed some folks on Tigers and other bikes have actually used a pillion version.  It might be the right size.
Any ideas from actual owners of an Airhawk would be appreciated.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Airhawk seat cushion
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 12:49:11 PM »
I had one on my Roadie that I had previously had on my V-Strom and hated it on the Roadie. The seat shape imo does not work at all well with the Airhawk and constantly caused constriction in the man bits area. Yes it was inflated correctly (i.e. hardly any air). Mine was the Cruiser small from memory.
The comfort seat on my XRX is worlds better than the Roadie seat and for my money I would be looking for one of them rather than an Airhawk on a Tiger.

Online Phones

• Tiger Member
  • Old age don't stop you riding it just hurts
  • Bike: Black 800xc
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 01:33:08 PM »
AIRHAWK Cruiser-R-Small MEASURES 11″L X 11″W  fits .

Offline Billb

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 02:16:38 PM »
Correct Cruiser R small would do.  Airhawk actually recommend the 18"x12" Cruise small version on their website for a Tiger 800.
The Dual Sport is the same size as the Cruiser R.  Does anyone know what the difference is between the two?

Offline tripletour

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: zx6r rd250 T800
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 02:20:13 PM »
As an alternative I bought a coolcovers seat cover. These increase comfort as well as keeping your posterier cool in hot weather.
I would recommend them although I also reshaped my standard seat a couple of years before as well.

Online UncleGary

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 02:24:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I had one on my Roadie that I had previously had on my V-Strom and hated it on the Roadie. The seat shape imo does not work at all well with the Airhawk and constantly caused constriction in the man bits area. Yes it was inflated correctly (i.e. hardly any air). Mine was the Cruiser small from memory.
The comfort seat on my XRX is worlds better than the Roadie seat and for my money I would be looking for one of them rather than an Airhawk on a Tiger.
That was my experience as well. Had an Airhawk on the old BMW and was happy with it. When I got the Tiger, I found it was truly annoying as you say. I definitely get along better with the plain Tiger seat.

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 04:15:18 PM »
You can always try some cycling shorts under your trousers. Nice and padded and relatively cheap.

Online Grumps

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 05:04:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Guyver [+]
You can always try some cycling shorts under your trousers. Nice and padded and relatively cheap.

I have some Motoskivvies. They help but not by much. I think my next try may be an Airhawk.

Funnily enough my 800 is more comfortable than my K1600
2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 05:48:24 PM »
I used an Airhawk on a 3 day trip in Scotland last year.
Didnt use it day 1 (Edinburgh to Ardnamurchan) but had it in topbox.
Half way through day 2 Ardnamurchan to John O'Groats, was in agony. Fitted the airhawk and made a world of difference.
Kept it on for day 3 J O'G to Edinburgh.
Now have Sargent seat, so Airhawk (Small Cruiser R) for sale in the For Sale section.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:51:23 PM by philmcglass »
Find the Line

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 06:58:26 PM »
Although I've not used an Airhawk, I've heard good reviews from fellow riders.
Two items I have used and can recco are gel seat / gel foam insert and bead-rider.

https://www.wish.com/product/5c5530835622e75a5c86c732?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=US&_force_currency_code=USD&pid=googleadwords_int&c=%7BcampaignId%7D&ad_cid=5c5530835622e75a5c86c732&ad_cc=US&ad_curr=USD&ad_price=13.98&campaign_id=7203534630&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIroqIntuV6QIVT_DACh1nhg6XEAQYCiABEgJpS_D_BwE&share=web

https://www.beadrider.com/product/classic-seat-front-seat-only/

I converted a seat w/gel insert foam kit and bought a factory gel comfort seat (neither T800) -- both w/success.
(both more successful than an expensive made-to-order seat..!)
My current T800 seat has a BeadRider.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Recent Topics

winded-staunch