Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Airhawk seat cushion  (Read 980 times)

Offline MedicineBow

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 800 XCx
Re: Airhawk seat cushion
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 11:47:55 PM »
I've got the standard seat and tend to start geting uncomfortable within an hour or two. Two summers ago we were headed to the IDBDR, planning 8 days of 10-12 hours in the saddle, and I was looking for some cheap insurance.

I found a small inflatable stadium cushion and a scrap piece of sheepskin ebay for about $20 total, and sewed on a couple strips of elastic to keep it in place - the sheepskin just lays over and keeps the cushion in place. I thought of it as an experiment that I would toss once it had failed, but in fact it worked great for 1000 miles of Idaho backcountry riding. I still have it and strap in on any time I'm heading out for more than an hour or two.

It's not great aesthetically, but then neither am I and I hide it from sight most of the time. 

Offline 93TigerBill

• Tiger Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 12:22:50 AM »
Cruiser R on the '12 800XC.
Can easily swap to my KLR650, '93 Tiger and (my now son's) 650 Versys,
Best so far is a 2,000 km one-dayer - and no sore bum!
As has been said, important to run minimal pressure.
'93 Tiger 885; '12 Tiger 800XC
IBA #45911; FarRider #89

Online kokkios

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger800XRT
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 08:39:09 PM »
If this helps this is mine. I got it off of aliexpress from the link below.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33056853806.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.75d04c4d0haLA2
Had medium air in and felt pressure on my private area. Now i left 1/3 air in and feels better. 30cm x 30cm

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 09:13:52 PM by kokkios »

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 10:01:05 PM »
I have the Cruiser R in the large size ( https://airhawk.net/product/cruiser-r-large/ ) and used it at last years Megameet doing a couple of 10-12hr days in the 5 days and 1380 miles (Thurs - Mon) riding and certainly made a difference for me. Currently though waiting on lockdown release to try out the Sargeant seats I recently purchased off a forum member. :003:

For now I've zoomed in on a bike pic from that Megameet but if I get a chance tomorrow I'll get the Triumph seat back out of the roof and fit the Airwawk and take some better pics to show the fit. :028:

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online tcbandituk

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRt & Street RS
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 08:35:52 AM »
Been through std seat, std seat with cool covers and std seat with airhawk.
None of which was particularly comfortable after 100+ miles.
I'm also just waiting to try a Sargeant seat I bought over the winter to see if it's an improvement.
I did one trip on it but a 3 mile return trip to the local dealer wasn't really enough to tell  :001:
2020 Street Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt

TC Drag Bike

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 09:12:27 AM »
I know opinions differ re seats , and depending on "your build" but I've had Sargent Seats on my last 3 bikes, now on my XRX. It's not so much the padding that makes them better for long distance, it's more in the pan shape, being wider and "spreading the load" that makes them so good. i.e. no sinking into soft stuff until in feels like you're riding on frame rails..

Offline clff

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 09:49:03 AM »
Hi I had memory foam fitted a little while ago there are different grades of foam he took covering off shaved the original then added min of 2" on shaped that to the height you need then added 1" to that to make all smooth 3" in total recovered adding new side material of your choosing because of the height difference put my seat on lower level to gain the 3" the difference is brilliant worth having a look       
cliff

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 11:17:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by mcinlb [+]
... it's more in the pan shape, being wider and "spreading the load"...

:0461: ... In the short chance I managed to try my Sargent seats I described them in my post as 'like a big tractor seat'. :008:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:18:41 AM by Stevie.P »

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 03:57:41 PM »
Large Cruiser R Airhawk on standard Triumph seat.
(ignore the passenger seat as Sargent not Triumph)

Model info on box, seat cover and cushion.

Right, Left and above view.

It is probably larger than may be the recommended size but does cover the seat well and even adds a little bit to the inner thigh toward the sides. I have that size as that is what was on offer from a fellow forum member and 'the price was right'. :028: :008:

Out of interest to me,, while I had it there I tried the Airhawk on the new Sargent seat and it fitted the contour of that well and could therefore be an addition to the seat in any future extreme mileage events. :017:

Offline penry

• Tiger Pro
  • No solution is insurmountable...
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA '19
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 10:53:15 PM »
Never tried an Airhawk but would just say this...

I tried a stadium cushion on my 1200 GSA ( air filled ) and even with the least air possible in it I could not feel what the tyres were doing on the road through my a#se and the bike seat. Maybe ok for motorway cruising but not for riding elsewhere.

I tried a sheepskin which was ok but ended up with a Corbin. Once broken in it was great and I rode with that for the next 60,000 miles in comfort.
Campsite Clouseau.

Recent Topics