Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike stuttering as if out of fuel, but at least half a tank? Then cuts out  (Read 5318 times)

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
 :148:

Hi All, I hope your all staying safe  :028:

I suppose I should start at the beginning.  Tiger 800XC 2011 Only 40000 ish on the clock.

I used the bike to get to work this morning, and all was fine. On the way home after riding for about twenty minutes, the bike started to "stutter" as if running out of petrol. I've over half a tank.

I carried on. I've got oil, no engine warning lights.

Stuttering continued regardless of how much I twisted the throttle-then all was good!

I came to a junction so had to slow down, and the stuttering started again? Then the bike cut out . I restarted it, all fine, idle at about 1000 rpm as usual, and sounds fine. So I attempt to pull away, but need a hand-full of throttle to stop it stalling. Still stuttering.

Getting concerned now, as I'm no mechanic. I work with computers!! So I'm at the side of the road, the bike is idling but keeps "dipping" below
1000 rpm as if its going to stall, but then catches and idles ok.

So I continue, but the stuttering continues, by now I'm having to throttle over 4000 (I'm in town so its rare to use a load of revs  :164:)and its "stuttering" like crazy so I end up coasting with the clutch in, then gas, then clutch in, then a bit more gas. I hear ONE small pop from the exhaust (Arrow) but nothing else.

I manage to get the bike home like this. Plug in my laptop and run Tiger-Tool, No Error codes. Only thing was the throttle bodies were not balanced.

Could unbalanced throttle bodies cause these symptoms?

The bike is on the center stand, and seems to run fine for a bit, ( A minute or two) then starts to run rough, idle dipping, the runs fine etc.

I'll have to get in touch with my local Triumph Garage (If they're open) as my work deems me an essential worker and cant work from home, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could throw some light on my issues.   :003:

Thanks in advance  :020:

Stumble

Its better to have a stumble than a fall!!

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
Things to check would be air filter first.
Also your fuel line going from the tank.
Also, check your voltage at the battery incase you've got a dodgy rectifier.

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
Hi Guyver, thanks for the tips. I checked the battery (forgot to put that in post) engine off it was about 11.50. Engine on, between 13 and 14 volts. I'll have to wait until this weekend to check air filter and girl lines as I'll have to take tank off ..

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
Just a thought, bit when did you last buy fuel and where from?

While the lockdown is in place, a lot of petrol stations aren't having deliveries and any fuel they do have will be going off.

Supermarkets although not my favourite place to buy fuel from, do have a high turnover still while people are grocery shopping and buying fuel whilst there.

Your throttle bodies may well be out, but, I don't think they would go out that far while your riding. I think it would be more gradual until one day it starts rough and not just appear while you're out on the bike.

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
Last fill up was from a supermarket petrol station, so probably ok. Plus filled my car up there also and no issues with car... So far anyway...

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
fuel, air, spark....the basics first. Good spark??
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
Yeah, gonna have to run some more tests when I get in from work this evening.. If nothing else, I can make sure all is well with the bike.. :152:

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
When was the last time the tank was lifted up? It is easy to kink one of the hoses when replacing the tank.

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
When I remove it to check the spark plugs will be the first time I do it. Last service with Triumph was last year..

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
Have you opened the fuel cap, could be drawing a vacuum, just a thought...

Recent Topics