Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike stuttering as if out of fuel, but at least half a tank? Then cuts out  (Read 5508 times)

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Yeah, although that was to check fuel level...
Its better to have a stumble than a fall!!

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
*Originally Posted by stumble [+]
Hi Guyver, thanks for the tips. I checked the battery (forgot to put that in post) engine off it was about 11.50. Engine on, between 13 and 14 volts. I'll have to wait until this weekend to check air filter and girl lines as I'll have to take tank off ..

I don't know if this is the cause of your problem but an unconnected battery showing 11.50 volts is almost certainly dead, beyond any hope, and should be replaced. A healthy battery should show about 12.70v minimum. Below that it may well be chargeable depending how far below it is, but once you get under aboout 11.70v it is very likely beyond redemption.

So it may be worth replacing the battery before you start the other work. If that fixes the problem you've saved a lot of other work. If not, it looks like you need a new battery anyway.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:51:33 AM by Phurtim »

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
I wondered that yesterday.

I had similar issues on my last bike with it idling ok ish, but had to over rev it to ride it. Turned out my coil leads were broken at the top, so would fire ok sat still, but then when moving the engine vibration made them fire intermittently.

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
I think I may have to put my investigations off until this weekend  :003:, as with my 12 hour shift, and no garage, working on the bike on my drive may not be the best idea. At least with the info you chaps have given me, I know where to begin my investigation.

I'll check the battery again, and then check air, fuel and ignition.

Any other things that you'd recommend checking, please leave in a reply, as I'll be off for two weeks from Sunday, so will have plenty of time to check them out. I'll keep you posted, as you never know it could help some one else with similar symptoms.

Stumble

:020:

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
My ex had a car that would idle ok and drove alright till going a bit quick.

Turns out the fuel lines has a couple of tiny little pin holes in them. Normal revs the car sucked in fuel no issues. Higher revs and the fuel lines allowed air to be sucked in by large amounts which also describes what you're having.

As you have a 2011 model, I wonder if the fuel line connector to the tank is not holding as good as it should. Not enough to leak fuel out, but enough to suck air in.
The connectors they used on my 2012 are really cheap and nasty looking, nowhere near as good as on my 2002 Speed Four.

Think either way, the tank needs to come off the bike.
Shame you're not near as you could have used my garage.

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
The more I think about it, the more I'm sure waiting for the weekend is the best Idea. At least that way I can have an early fresh start and have the whole day to work on the bike. I agree, the tank will definitely have to come off.

Stumble

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
After checking and replacing the battery, on this year bike it would be worth spraying some lube onto the stepper motor linkages as this will have an effect on the idle position and therefore possible riding ability, i had an issue like this and a good spry of lube across the linkages and starting, revving and restarting the bike a view times to get the stepper motor to move (you might be able to do this with Tigertool or tuneECU running a test).

Do this before lifting the tank etc.  might save you a lot of work!

Jmc

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
Worth a try I suppose, got nothing to lose by checking the stepper motor linkages, plus a good lube will definitely help stop it seizing up. All good things to check, keep em coming Team Tiger  :028:

Stumble

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
I believe it is recommended to use a 'dry lube spray' on the linkage this is less likely to allow dirt to cling (like oil) and cause further problems.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
Cheers Stevie? That's a heads up..  :028:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch