Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike stuttering as if out of fuel, but at least half a tank? Then cuts out  (Read 4891 times)

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
*Originally Posted by kokkios [+]
Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if it was mentioned. Did you buy new or used? I was at my mechanic the other day and was talking about a UK imported early Tiger 800. It was acting up like yours. Turns out the ECU was not the OEM one. Probably stolen or something. Check the ECU and the number that is printed on it if you did not buy it new

Well I didn't buy it new, but I've had it for over 4 years, and this is the first time this has happened...
Its better to have a stumble than a fall!!

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
If the bike ran great after fitting new plugs, it would point to a HT fault somewhere. When you tested the coils, did you test them when they were sitting flat or did you try testing them with some bends in the cables? Definitely sounds like a coil is giving out when the engine gets hot.

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
Another thought.

Will the bike run with only 2 coils fitted. If so you could create the same situation and remove a different coil to see if it gets worse. If it stays the same with  a coil removed, it would point to that one being defective.

I did a series of tests to prove to myself that the RR was broken inside. But I got exactly the same results on the new one as I did the broken one, but a massive difference in charging output.

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
I'll try and test the coils again. Also all the cables connected to them. :084:

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800xc
*Originally Posted by stumble [+]
Yes, when the bike gets up to temperature, that's when it starts to run badly. Just idling when it's first on, all is ok...

possible lean fueling condition when the bike gets up to temperature?

Check all the vacuum hoses for leaks - any cracked or split. Also any hard plastic connectors that join one or more vacuum hoses. Also inspect the rubbers between the throttle bodies and the intake manifold itself.

Other sensors for the engine management system could be going bad, but there aren't any good tests listed in the service manual other than looking for error codes with software (example: testing the throttle position sensor for consistent operation).

Have you tried performing the 12 minute adaptation reset? Could be the long term / short term fuel trim is off (adaptation/correction). To force adaptation to take place, start with the motor cold - start the motorcycle, don't touch the throttle or anything else... after the cooling fans come on for the first time, let the motor run for another 12 minutes.

Offline Bjorn

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT
I don't know the 2011 mod much. But if this also have a crank position sensor?  Have this checked. This will control several features in the system for the engine to operate correct. And so will also the ECU coolant temp sensor. But I assume this bike have carburetors and not injectors? and then these will not be operated by this sensor. Good luck and do never give up.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Bjorn. ALL Tiger 800 are FI
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
I didn't get a chance to look at the bike last weekend because of the weather  :023: , so I'll have to wait until this weekend. The weather looks pretty rubbish again this week   :190: , so I don't think I'll get a chance to do it after work  :180: . I'll keep you updated if I do. I appreciate all the input though.  :028:

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800xc
*Originally Posted by Bjorn [+]
I don't know the 2011 mod much. But if this also have a crank position sensor?  Have this checked. This will control several features in the system for the engine to operate correct. And so will also the ECU coolant temp sensor. But I assume this bike have carburetors and not injectors? and then these will not be operated by this sensor. Good luck and do never give up.

For the engine management system, here is a list of the sensors that are used:
  • crank position sensor
  • engine coolant temperature sensor
  • lambda sensor
  • manifold absolute pressure sensor
  • intake air temperature sensor
  • throttle position sensor
  • barometric pressure sensor

without access to any diagnostic trouble codes stored - it's hard to test some of these for intermittent operation .

Keeping simple (as mentioned by several - Air, Fuel, Spark... and tracking what you've done).

fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator/low fuel pressure problems will show up at idle as well - bike will cut off, might be hard to restart. So, while that is a possibility, I'd look at that after looking for air leaks. Water/contaminated fuel can cause problems when hot, the fueling on these is somewhat lean when hot and you'll notice those problems.

when I've had problems with low power, dead spots in the throttle when HOT, it's been a lean fuel condition.... the evaporative canister was causing a problem like that on my 800 (and worse on a 1200 explorer). I don't believe you have that system on yours? (I bypassed mine using the rubber caps and hoses from the non US models to do this). If any of those three ports where that system is normally attached is leaking air, you could get issues where it's running lean when hot (when cold, the fueling is rich and will not have the problem).

Offline stumble

• Tiger Member
Short update. I've got hold of some replacement coils, used, as I didn't want to fork out on new ones in case that wasn't the issue.
Swapped them over, and just back from an hour's test ride. Last week before the swap, as soon as the engine warmed up the problems started. The guys at Carl Rosner, suggested it could be the coils, but wanted to let me know before replacing them because of the cost including labour. So, good on you guys. Anyway I said this was short. Let's see how this goes. Staying positive...  :002:

Recent Topics