Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike stuttering as if out of fuel, but at least half a tank? Then cuts out  (Read 2758 times)

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Bear in mind it's not the linkage per say but the roller at the end of the arm that gets a build up of grud. Does no harm to clean the entire area - linkage and all though. Any dry lube - especially a Teflon one does the job for a long time.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online stumble

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
This is all helpful advice at the end of the day, let's hope I can get this sorted without having to take it to Triumph...
Its better to have a stumble than a fall!!

Offline JonesTheBass

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xrt
*Originally Posted by Guyver [+]
My ex had a car that would idle ok and drove alright till going a bit quick.

Turns out the fuel lines has a couple of tiny little pin holes in them. Normal revs the car sucked in fuel no issues. Higher revs and the fuel lines allowed air to be sucked in by large amounts which also describes what you're having.

As you have a 2011 model, I wonder if the fuel line connector to the tank is not holding as good as it should. Not enough to leak fuel out, but enough to suck air in.
The connectors they used on my 2012 are really cheap and nasty looking, nowhere near as good as on my 2002 Speed Four.

I had a Suzuki GSX-250E in the mid-80's that would cut out if you went over 60mph for more than a couple of minutes. Turned out there was a pin hold in the vacuum line to the fuel tap which meant it would not fully open. Below 50-60mph the rate of fuel to the float chamber was enough, over that speed it would slowly empty and cut out....turn it over a few times and there was enough to start and off you went again. I had the carb off and on repeatedly before eventually tracing it back to the rate of feed.  :015:

Online stumble

• Tiger Member
I'm not sure if mines caused by a pin hole leak, but you never know. But seeing how it just suddenly started yesterday on the way home, after being fine for ages...Well. I'll find out this weekend. Hope I don't have to check all my air and fuel lines.. :087:

Stumble

Offline tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
  • Ride triumph, for the journey ahead
  • Bike: tiger800 XCA
throttle body imbalance would have to be massive to cause any of those symptoms mate, first try it with the petrol cap open, inside the lip that the cap fits into is a red rubber grommet looking thing, if you have a compressor blow some air down it to make sure its clear, they get blocked up at the other end, which is hidden behind the front sprocket cover and slightly behind the rear shock.
the other thing could be the stepper motor sticking, if you go to the right hand side of the bike( if you were sitting on it ) and get a torch and look at the gap where you would expect to see carbs, then get a can of wd40 and literally spray as much as you can in the gap, you are looking for this item.

hope this helps
never ride faster than you can think

Online healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
*Originally Posted by stumble [+]
Hi Guyver, thanks for the tips. I checked the battery (forgot to put that in post) engine off it was about 11.50. Engine on, between 13 and 14 volts. I'll have to wait until this weekend to check air filter and girl lines as I'll have to take tank off ..

seems low to me. id expect over 12 volts engine off an anywhere upto 14.4v engine on

Online stumble

• Tiger Member
Right, just got home and went to check battery. 12.07 - 12.40. With engine off, 13.50 -13.69 worth engine running. Idling really badly also. When I throttle up, it goes up to max 13.8 . I'm watching it fall to 11.76 as I write this.

Hmmmm, Could point to a dud battery?

Online stumble

• Tiger Member
I should point out, this battery is less than five years old !!

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
That's a year more than I got from my Sept 15 XRT.  I would certainly consider a new one and 13.5 - 13.69v  to me is a bit low (I'd expect over 14v at idle) and may be being held back by a failing battery.

At idle I get 14.25v.

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online stumble

• Tiger Member
I think we could be getting closer, maybe.. I'll take the battery off and stick on the optimate to see if the condition changes.. Fingers crossed that's all it is...

Recent Topics

winded-staunch