Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Moving indicators  (Read 818 times)

Offline NigelW

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
Moving indicators
« on: May 05, 2020, 01:43:39 PM »

Hi all,  I've had a bit of discussion with members on Facebook, together we've looked at the issue of moving the indicators.  I've got some of these blanking plates available. I think moving the indicators is possibly the best modification I have made to my Tiger!

Online PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
Re: Moving indicators
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »
Neat job. 👍

:031:

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 01:50:18 PM »
:028: Good mod   :084: but pretty sure K1W1 did this years ago and many here have copied him since.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline NigelW

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 01:53:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
:028: Good mod   :084: but pretty sure K1W1 did this years ago and many here have copied him since.

Oh I'm quite sure it's not an original thought, the indicators are in a stupid place! Lots of people seem to find it difficult to know what to do with the hole that's left over.

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 01:59:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by NigelW [+]
Oh I'm quite sure it's not an original thought, the indicators are in a stupid place! Lots of people seem to find it difficult to know what to do with the hole that's left over.

I purchased some small rectangular amber reflectors just right size for infilling those gaps on my previous Tiger, found them on Amazon. 

My 2018 XCA has Triumph protection bars that protect the turn sugnals now.
Ride to work. Work to ride

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 02:37:23 PM »
Moved the indicators up by the headlights awhile ago. Filled the original location holes with black Tec 7.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Fazer

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »
It just may be worth noting that, in the UK, the positioning of indicators is governed by the Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989. The Regulations for direction indicators are presented in Schedule 7 of that document and state that, for a motorcycle, the minimum separation distance between a front indicator and any dipped-beam headlamp or front fog lamp is 100mm. For anyone that wants to check these regulations for themselves you will find the document here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 03:53:05 PM »
Not in the UK.

But raises the question are there different specs for cars because with headlights on a lot of cars now you can't see the indicators that are right next to the headlight.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Fazer

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »
Im finding it difficult to definitively state what the requirements are for a car. The vehicle categories in Schedule 7 are listed as:

(A)Fitted to a motor vehicle, other than a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination, first used on or after 1st April 1991:   
(a) in the case of a Category 1 indicator, 40 mm;
(b) in the case of a Category 1a indicator, 20 mm;
(c) in the case of a Category 1b indicator, no requirement
(B)Fitted to a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination in either case first used on or after 1st April 1986:   100 mm
(C)Fitted to any other vehicle:

I think that means it is 40mm, 20mm or any separation for a car first used after 1st April 1991 depending on whether its got a Cat 1, 1a or 1b indicators. Ive no idea what they are and I dont fancy reading the whole document to find out. Suffice it to say, it looks like the separation for cars is a lot less than motorcycles.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:09:15 PM by Fazer »

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
I would assume the smaller separation on cars  stems from the lights usually being in a cluster assembly, rather than  completely independent as seen on the majority of bikes.
Now I have to go and check my relocated ones at the front, to keep the Rozzers off my back...

Recent Topics