Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Moving indicators  (Read 817 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online KildareMan

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 8531
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
  • Location: Naas Ireland
Re: Moving indicators
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »
As with most things if you're not acting the maggot the rozzers won't be on your back.  :017:
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Fazer

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 61
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
  • Location: Tyneside, UK
Re: Moving indicators
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 04:58:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
....... Now I have to go and check my relocated ones at the front, to keep the Rozzers off my back...

Thats a very responsible attitude. I think youd be very unlucky to get a police officer with his measuring tape checking on the lateral separation from your headlamps. However, the inadequate lateral separation from front fog lights is very obvious when the indicators are mounted directly above them.

Since the Regulations that I am quoting are quite old i.e. 1989, I thought it wise to check if there had been any amendments to the requirements of Schedule 7 since then. As you might expect there have been numerous amendments to the Regs since 1989 but I couldnt find any that affect Schedule 7. There have been amendments to do with Daytime Running Lights and quite a few affecting lighting on pedal cycles (e.g. flashing running lights, lights within wheels etc) but none to do with motorcycle position indicators.

Of course, if anyone knows better and can quote the relevant documents then I will bow to their superior knowledge.

Offline Londonglide

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
  • Bike: xc
  • Location: LondonTown
Re: Moving indicators
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 05:02:51 PM »
Just looking at the 100mm separation. Its actually a lot, if measuring from the outer edge of the reflector housing to the nearest point of illumination on an indicator, assuming its  measuring laterally.
From the bulb itself is a different matter.
I would be surprised if the OEM position is more than 100mm from oem fog lights anyway.

Its all about the interpretation, because I can't see any specifics about how its measured..

Not so much a maggot, as a shrivelled old prune......
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:04:47 PM by Londonglide »

Online Fazer

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 61
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
  • Location: Tyneside, UK
Re: Moving indicators
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 05:06:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
As with most things if you're not acting the maggot the rozzers won't be on your back.  :017:

Absolutely true. However, if there was an accident where the third party suggested that he could not clearly see the front indicators then it might be a different matter. As always, its an individuals own decision whether to relocate their indicators.

Online Fazer

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 61
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
  • Location: Tyneside, UK
Re: Moving indicators
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 05:10:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
Just looking at the 100mm separation. Its actually a lot, if measuring from the outer edge of the reflector housing to the nearest point of illumination on an indicator, assuming its  measuring laterally.
From the bulb itself is a different matter.
I would be surprised if the OEM position is more than 100mm from oem fog lights anyway.

Its all about the interpretation, because I can't see any specifics about how its measured..

Not so much a maggot, as a shrivelled old prune......

Its not clear in the regs exactly where the measurement should be taken - between centre of lamps or between adjacent edges? I didnt reproduce the whole of Schedule 7 (obviously) but the part I have quoted is from Position - Lateral.

EDIT - Youre right - I just checked the position of the OEM indicators from the OEM fog lights on my 2019 Tiger and it would have to be measured between the centres to be 100mm. So, moving the indicators to either side of the headlight would seem to comply in relation to the separation from the headlights. However, that is certainly not the case for the separation from the OEM fog lights.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:21:08 PM by Fazer »

Offline Londonglide

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
  • Bike: xc
  • Location: LondonTown
Re: Moving indicators
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 05:18:16 PM »
Lateral separation in relation to where, I suppose.
I followed the link given, and searched around, but no definitive description is given, that I can see, so its an interesting one.
Would like to know what the measurements for a bike with no mods , but with fogs are?

Online Fazer

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 61
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
  • Location: Tyneside, UK
Re: Moving indicators
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 05:28:26 PM »
Sorry to be a harbinger of doom here but I just had another thought. Is this a modification that should be reported to your insurer? I dont know the answer, just posing the question.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:19:30 PM by Fazer »

Offline chuckxc

  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Posts: 735
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
  • Location: OZ
Re: Moving indicators
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 10:40:26 PM »
I took an alternate approach on my XCX. I'm not as concerned about the appearance of the bike as I am about being clearly seen by those big 4 wheel thingys.
I installed white and amber lights on my (not a product endorsement) b.b. handguards to increase the visibility and visual separation. Better seen than sorry.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Londonglide

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
  • Bike: xc
  • Location: LondonTown
Re: Moving indicators
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 02:10:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
I took an alternate approach on my XCX. I'm not as concerned about the appearance of the bike as I am about being clearly seen by those big 4 wheel thingys.
I installed white and amber lights on my (not a product endorsement) b.b. handguards to increase the visibility and visual separation. Better seen than sorry.

Judging by some of the dash-cam videos of Ozzy driving on YouTube, you need all the help you can get from sleepy Ute drivers.....

Offline Bikerjimbob

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 166
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
  • Location: NSW Australia
Re: Moving indicators
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 10:08:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
Judging by some of the dash-cam videos of Ozzy driving on YouTube, you need all the help you can get from sleepy Ute drivers.....

Yup I moved to Australia 🇦🇺 from the UK 🇬🇧 6 years ago, some of the Australian drivers have got to be some of the scariest drivers in the world.
Having said that my new Ausi mates that I ride all over Australia with are some of the best riders I have ridden with in all my 55 years of motorcycle riding.  :417:

 


Recent Topics