Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: '16 XCA WP Suspension Upgrade??  (Read 597 times)

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: '16 XCA WP Suspension Upgrade??
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 01:56:10 PM »
Did I forget to mention the stickers and neck tube?  :300:

Also I got mine with a black spring see photos in Gallery.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline NomadLad

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XCA
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Did I forget to mention the stickers and neck tube?  :300:

Also I got mine with a black spring see photos in Gallery.

Oh that looks very slick... I like the gold adjuster. Looks like premium kit. I hope you got lots of photos... will never be as clean again!

I see you have been very busy with your tiger, lots of work done. I must look into gutting my cat too.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
If you haven't already fitted one get the pyramid plastics shield

https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/collections/triumph/products/triumph-tiger-800-xc-xcx-xca-low-shock-shield-matte-black-2010

Best 31 spent. Keeps an amazing amount of crap off the shock & linkages
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline NomadLad

• Tiger Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 02:12:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
If you haven't already fitted one get the pyramid plastics shield

https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/collections/triumph/products/triumph-tiger-800-xc-xcx-xca-low-shock-shield-matte-black-2010

Best 31 spent. Keeps an amazing amount of crap off the shock & linkages

Brilliant thanks!

I spent ages recently on the ADVRider forum looking at how people were making them up themselves, looked like awful hassle.
Delighted to find an aftermarket one that comes recommended   :047:

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 02:14:52 PM »
Was the WP fitted to the  middle years bikes any better than the original one with the yellow spring?

Offline NomadLad

• Tiger Member
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 02:24:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
Was the WP fitted to the  middle years bikes any better than the original one with the yellow spring?

Yeah I think the general consensus is that it is a more premium suspension front and back.

I never rode an XC, my previous Tiger was a roadie so I can't draw a comparison.

But from a lot of reading and reviews, I've never seen anyone suggest it wasn't an upgrade from the first gen XC suspension.

The WP setup isn't perfect, I'm sure although it's a premium brand and unit, it has still been built on-mass to suit Triumph's budget and a general weight range for the average rider.

So an aftermarket shock assembled for the rider's weight would be better... that's my guess anyway.

Most guys with the WP tiger's will be paying to have them re-sprung to suit their weight... some guys who intend to really challenge the Tiger off road have the WP suspension revalved and given a full work-over.

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800 Xcx 2016
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 09:21:24 PM »
The yellow spring, I assume you are quoting hlins, but this manufacturer does not offer anything for our frames from 2015 to 2019. . .

Wilbers has the particularity of designing, manufacturing and distributing sets of suspensions oriented for the Off road.

I know a lot of other quality suspension manufacturers, but only for road use.

In view of your 1st message, and given the use of your mount, I only give you my experience.

My previous motorcycle, an africa twin 750 was equipped with a wilbers, and I was delighted.

As specified in a previous post, the shock absorber and the springs are installed. I can't say anything about it yet. . .

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Pro
  • I don't know why ,but I love my tiger
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 05:59:11 AM »

just saw your post !

I had been happy with the wilbers before so after a lot of research  I went with the wilbers 3 way on my 15 xcx w/p set up I got the height adjuster also installed ,even though I did not want it because you can't reach the manual adjuster on this bike on the wilbers once installed ,  did the rear shock a few month back and I love it.

so for the front spring options

Not to happy with the front stock w/p it handles great but a bit harsh  I am light and the front is way to stiff I don't do off road . I spent a very long time looking for a front option the Andreani cartridges do not show a application for w/p and no one can tell me if they make one that fits , and no one I can find makes a after market cartridge yet for the later xca xcx w/p front forks  I looked at them all .  I talked to a lot of suspension tuners and looked into all the popular guys and It appears to be very unlikely the can make it much better ( kind of hit and miss ) and they all mention matching the right springs when the tuning  the damping So doing the springs may be the best option and very few companies make springs for the w/p front .

So i finely found out the wilbers does do a progressive that is at stock weight setting and they have a lowering set also and Hyperpro does the same two options (did not find any others that do springs for the w/p )  So after talking to a supplier that has sold a lot of hyperpro  for the triumph's and said they were happy with a better ride from the new springs .  I went  with lowering  springs even being I did not want to lower the front ,  he said it will drop the front a little but give me a much better ride , not so harsh p# TR08-SSA013 the springs that are not lowered for the front are same number with 004 on the end instead of 013 the are also progressive and give a smoother ride on the top part of the stroke and then get harder as the get near the bottom , standard spring on the triumph are for  170 - 180 lb riders and are not progressive
Stock w/p xcx xca front spring are about 50 kg 
15.25 long of 387 mm and 37 mm outside diameter 220 mm stroke
the  spring length is shorter on the triumph 43 mm w/p  because the spring is held down by the spring guide and the guide has a nut on top , this is open chamber design
 the ktm dirt bikes and later w/p after the 2003 models ,open chamber front forks the spring goes past the spring guide and is held down by the fork cap ,so these spring applications are more common and much longer then
The 43mm w/p is much like the 2000 ktm 200 exc but I do think they used the longer spring design for longer travel but the rest of the front fork housing is much the same
when I talked to a KTM spring supplier all they sell is springs that are much longer then what the triumph uses like all the ktm s are 450 mm and longer
when the w/p 43 mm was used on the triumph a suspension tuner built the cartridge and spring for the weight of the bike, travel needed , use and average rider weight and the type of use that is very different then what ktm tuned the 43 mm for the dirt bikes and soon after using the 43 mm in early 2000 they went to using as 48 mm open chamber and then later the closed chamber 48 mm which has been state of the art for dirt bikes for many years , the 48 mm open chamber are very good but not quite as tune able and as responsive for the dirt as the closed chamber .

I hope this helps somebody so they don't have to spend the hours looking for options that I did.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:09:28 AM by Dirtbag »

Recent Topics