Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Government Sunday Briefing  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
Government Sunday Briefing
« on: May 09, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
Just to provoke some forecasts and some follow up chat about lockdown....Any views?
I'm not expecting anything which will stop me cancelling my bike trip to Austria on 31st May. There is talk of another 3 weeks of lockdown and continued ban on unnecessary travel.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Government Sunday Briefing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 06:02:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tallpaul [+]
Just to provoke some forecasts and some follow up chat about lockdown....Any views?
I'm not expecting anything which will stop me cancelling my bike trip to Austria on 31st May. There is talk of another 3 weeks of lockdown and continued ban on unnecessary travel.

Maybe the French, Germans and Austrians.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Rgh999

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 07:07:16 PM »
And a two week isolation on your return.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 07:28:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rgh999 [+]
And a two week isolation on your return.

Not forgetting the isolation requirements in the other countries.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online 1284rider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 07:45:14 PM »
Are the cross channel ferries or Eurotunnel still working?  My trip to Spain on 26th May was officially cancelled only yesterday when Brittany Ferries cancelled the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander.  They do the cancellations in stages looking just 4 weeks ahead, so although we never expected the trip to go ahead, we've only just been told officially.  We can now get a full refund of the ferry ticket price, which was nearly 500 for two bikes and two people.  If you're travelling through France, I can't see you getting a warm welcome from some of the locals.  A lot of the shops, hotels, restaurants etc will still not be open or operating properly.  I can't see international leisure travel getting back to anything like normal for a very long time.  I'm pleased our trip is not happening at the end of May, as I think it would be a strange and difficult experience just now.

If you do go - let us all know how it goes please.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:51:12 PM by 1284rider »

Offline snowblue

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xrt
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 08:14:11 PM »
FCO advises against all but essential travel internationally. Check the website to get all the facts.
Also note that travel insurance will,most likely, be invalidated...

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 09:22:40 PM »
I've considered the Austria trip to be a write off since the end of March! Of course, nobody on the continent would be happy to see us, except, maybe a few hoteliers. The club chairman and trip organiser is hosting a Zoom meeting with us on Monday night with updates and alternatives.
Wifey and I should tonight be spending our last night in Eire, after a week's ride round Cork and Kerry. P&O Ferries have offered us money back or rebook or rollover to next year.
Brittany ferries have always been brilliant with refunds, rebooking, compensation etc.
However, after 6 weeks, Mr O'Leary of Ryanair continues to hang onto our flight money, even though he cancelled our flights to Tenerife and is legally bound to refund within 7 days.....

I will update late Monday or Tuesday! Stay safe.

Offline crispey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 thrux
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 08:21:38 AM »
The other thing to worry about, or not:I got a letter from my travel insurance company saying they won't cover Covid 19 if insurance was taken out after march. I guess if the FCO are still advising against travel that makes a good case for not paying out for anythingl. Good to see Brittany ferries giving full refunds though, I've heard they were only giving credits

Offline petesear

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 09:06:12 AM »
14 day isolation on arrival to the UK is for air passengers only.

Offline geordielad

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 09:33:29 AM »
It looks like the easiest way to avoid this is to arrive by dinghy at Dover - you will be met with a blanket, cup of tea and the necessary paperwork to help you stay!
 :431:  please excuse my cynicism.

So far, we've had to cancel 2 holidays and have rescheduled another for 2021 at no cost, but we also have a trip to Switzerland booked for August with TUI - flying in and out with the rest being by rail - TUI want the balance of the holiday by the end of May or we lose the deposit.
Hmmm - do I pay tha balance and try to claim it all back when they cancel it (if they do) or lose my deposit?
We don't really want to go if it's not cancelled but half the place is going to be in lockdown with limited facilities available plus, how confident would we feel about our safety?
Third option is to contact TUI and try and move it to 2021 as well.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:36:16 AM by geordielad »
Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch