Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Government Sunday Briefing  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Jose

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Government Sunday Briefing
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 10:19:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by 1284rider [+]
My trip to Spain on 26th May was officially cancelled only yesterday when Brittany Ferries cancelled the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander. [...] We can now get a full refund of the ferry ticket price...
Can you? I thought they were giving vouchers

Offline 1284rider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 10:42:53 AM »
If you as the customer cancel your trip, then the carrier is not obliged to do anything since you have made the decision not to travel.  If the carrier cancels the trip, they will always attempt to hold on to your money by suggesting you defer and re-book travel to a later date and issue a credit voucher.  However, in those circumstances they have failed to provide the service that you have purchased and so you are entitled to a full refund under consumer law.  You may well have to push for it and many carriers will not make it easy or transparent, but Brittany Ferries have a simple online application for a full refund. It is supposed to happen within 7 days under EU rules, but we'll see about that one.

My view of deferring travel by way of them keeping the money and issuing a voucher is this:

1) We were travelling for something very specific and an alternative travel date is of no benefit - we wouldn't want to go at any other time.
2) The voucher will literally not be worth the paper it is printed on if the carrier goes bust, and I think many carriers will go bust.
3) My money is better off resting in my bank account rather than in theirs for the next year or more - why would I want to provide working capital for them in the hope that they survive and one day they will let me use their ferry that I don't really want to use?

Each to their own though.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:35:05 AM by 1284rider »

Offline OHRider

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XRx
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 12:54:47 PM »
I was thinking we had it bad here in US. But you guys needing to cross boarders makes it harder. Most events up to the end of June have been canceled here. And more to come. Stay safe and happy 😃.  :417:
Thanks

Al

Offline Jose

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 12:57:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by 1284rider [+]
... Brittany Ferries have a simple online application for a full refund.
Do they? I didn't know that. Would you mind posting a link to the "application form" (or whatever it is called)? Thanks in advance

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 01:18:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by crispey [+]
The other thing to worry about, or not:I got a letter from my travel insurance company saying they won't cover Covid 19 if insurance was taken out after march. I guess if the FCO are still advising against travel that makes a good case for not paying out for anythingl. Good to see Brittany ferries giving full refunds though, I've heard they were only giving credits
This is why I have an annual policy which I always renew. It's another level of protection against big business scams.

Offline 1284rider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 01:27:56 PM »
The Brittany Ferries web site (like many other carriers) absolutely does not make it apparent that you are entitled to a refund if they cancel the service.  Everything is geared towards them keeping hold of your money and issuing a credit note for future use. But the law is on your side and you do not have to accept what they want you to do.  From their own terms & conditions:

Re-routing and reimbursement in the event of cancelled or delayed departures

Where a sailing is delayed for more than 90 minutes or cancelled we will provide you the choice of either a specific re-routing option to your final destination as set out in your transport contract, at the earliest opportunity and at no additional charge; or re-imbursement of the price that was paid for transport contract within 7 days.

You are entitled to a full refund if they cancel the service.  You need a booking reference number to log in to get to the page where you can request the refund.

Offline crispey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 thrux
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 03:13:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tallpaul [+]
This is why I have an annual policy which I always renew. It's another level of protection against big business scams.
As do I but mine renews at the end of July so according to them I wont be covered for Covid 19 on my new policy

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 03:29:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by crispey [+]
As do I but mine renews at the end of July so according to them I wont be covered for Covid 19 on my new policy

Fair comment mate.

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 09:28:02 PM »
Our Zoom meeting went ahead as planned. One of our party deals with continental companies and needs personnel to travel for business. He told us that cross border travel is only permitted with appropriate paperwork. He is of the opinion that 10 bikes on holiday will not be looked on with any fondness!

We have all supported the proposal to cancel where possible and where no refunds are available, to defer Channel crossings and hotel stays until a later date.

So, holiday number three 2020 cancelled.

Recent Topics