Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear selection  (Read 407 times)

Offline Themass31

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Xrx 800 tiger
Gear selection
« on: May 13, 2020, 09:21:34 PM »
Noticed today on my 2015 tiger that when I pull up at a junction in second and stop she won't go down to first, when I got home I left bike running and tried shifting up and down and nothing happens unless I release the clutch slightly and then it will change gear.
Any suggestions.
Craig

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Gear selection
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 10:55:36 PM »
Not likely to be the usual shifter return spring problem because you can move through the gears and I assume you can still feel the 'return to center'.
Hopefully it's simply the clutch cable out of adjustment. Try that first. You have to get both shafts moving inside the gear box to get the gear dogs to engage, which is what you are doing when you let the clutch out slightly and roll the bike a bit.
Make sure your oil level is correct and within service limits.
Do the basics before thinking about more sinister reasons.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 12:02:49 AM »
I agree with Chuck. The clutch adjustment is thing I would look at then the age and amount of the gearbox oil.
If neither of those works take a look at this thread.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,26931.msg293334.html#msg293334

Offline Themass31

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 05:44:33 PM »
Thanks for reply folks, looked and adjusted cable yesterday with no luck, only picked up in December from a triumph garage with the full 12000 servece carried out b4 pick up, it's still under warranty and with presant conditions not travelled far 😂

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 06:14:06 AM »
Time to pay a visit to the seller. :232:

Chico

Offline Bigcris0

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 06:25:28 AM »
Hi
I had a similar problem last year which resulted in the bike being stuck in 4th gear. Assumed it was the Gear selector return spring as its a common problem (2014 with 11k at the time )  out of warranty and quoted silly prices so decided to do it myself . It wasnt the spring by the time I stripped everything but it was the detent wheel plate that had slightly worn on the teeth which made it not engage the wheel properly. The plate was about 30 and replaced the spring gasket and clutch retaining nut / washer plus an oil change so it came to around 100 all in and afternoon in the garage to do , which was better than the 400+ I was quoted . If its covered by the warranty Id head down that route but before it did let go I did notice that down changers were not as smooth. So your issue could be that ???

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 09:25:02 AM »
Just check the chain adjustment is good first
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bigcris0 [+]
Hi
I had a similar problem last year which resulted in the bike being stuck in 4th gear. Assumed it was the Gear selector return spring as its a common problem (2014 with 11k at the time )  out of warranty and quoted silly prices so decided to do it myself . It wasnt the spring by the time I stripped everything but it was the detent wheel plate that had slightly worn on the teeth which made it not engage the wheel properly. The plate was about 30 and replaced the spring gasket and clutch retaining nut / washer plus an oil change so it came to around 100 all in and afternoon in the garage to do , which was better than the 400+ I was quoted . If its covered by the warranty Id head down that route but before it did let go I did notice that down changers were not as smooth. So your issue could be that ???

That is what the link I posted above is about.

Offline Themass31

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »
Can be very clunky, triumph garage I got it from are going to get in touch. Thanks for all replies

Recent Topics

winded-staunch