Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Comparing Explorer 1200 vs Tiger 800 XRX or T vs Tiger 900 GT (Pro)  (Read 1696 times)

Offline ZShyster

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 13 TTSE 18 T120
I have been lurking here for almost 2 years.  At the time I had, and still have a 2013 Trophy SE, and had a 2015 Explorer XC which has since been traded for a 2018 Bonneville T120.

I am almost 67 and love riding, however an aftermarket knee in one leg and problems with the other together with less than great fitness, make motorcycle weight a consideration, especially if the bike is top heavy.  A year ago I was riding a logging road in North Carolina and in a blind switchback caught a rut with soft dirt that resulted in a low side drop.  I rode out, after getting some help getting the Explorer up, three hours with a broken leg (fibula).  After the leg healed I decided, I needed to shed some weight off the motorcycles.  Therefore the Explorer was the first to go and the Bonnie is great for around town and in traffic, however, it is not all that great on the road.  Hence the reason for my post.

I am hoping that a Tiger 800 XRT or 900 GT Pro could satisfy my need for a touring bike.  The Trophy is great on the road but it is quite heavy, the Explorer was also good on the road without as much wind protection.  The Bonnie is not great over 65 mph compared to the Trophy and Explorer.  I was hoping I could get some input here.

Has anyone here ridden the Explorer or Trophy that can compare them to the Tiger 800 XRT or 900 GT Pro?  I have given up the dirt roads so I am just looking for something I can put on some asphalt miles with some comfort and stability and stay under 500 lbs. without bags.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Ride Safe,
ZShyster

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
Dont overlook the Yamaha Tracer 700 the 2020 model looks like a great bike

Offline ZShyster

• Tiger Cub
fac191,

I appreciate the recommendation.  I am leaning toward Triumph if possible because I have a great Triumph dealer with an outstanding service department less than 2 miles from my home.  Yamaha is not nearly as convenient.

All else being equal I have great respect for both the Honda and Yamaha brands.

Ride Safe,
ZShyster

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
From all reports the 2018 on Tiger 1200 is a much better bike than the Explorer model. I test rode the 1st Explorer, great engine but felt too top heavy. My Tiger 800 felt top heavy aswell. The thing is you can get a nice Tiger 1200 XRX 2nd hand now as there should be more about. You get so much more bike for the money.

Offline ZShyster

• Tiger Cub
Fac191,

I am trying to lower the weight and I do not think a new Explorer 1200 will do that significantly.  I am looking at the 800 & 900 because they both come in under 500 lbs.

ZShyster

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
Gotcha. In that case i think the 900 xrt would be a great choice.

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC / 1200XRT
Got early delivery of a 2011 800 XC.  Great bike; loved it from the first ride.  Spent stupid amounts of money over the life of the bike in mods.   Saw a 2018 1200 xrt and fell in love yet again.  And again with the mods ...  I still have both bikes. 

If one is to go, it would be the 1200 because of the weight issue.  Even though it is the best road bike hands down over the 800 or 900 on all other dimensions. 

But If I decide I have another 3-5 years of riding left, I'll trade in the 800 and 1200 for a new 900 - it fixes all the weaknesses of the 800 and matches the 1200 in gearing, suspension, brakes, electronics ...

- and I really am developing an urge to do some more farkling ...

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
You must be a dealers dream customer !

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
If it's any help comparing a 2015 Tiger 800 XRx with a 2017 T120, the T120 has enormous pulling power in comparison, but no wind protection - I'm still on a quest to find a decent, not too expensive, and not too ugly screen. They're quite similar in terms of how much you have to fold up to get your feet on the pegs. The comfort seat on the Tiger is better than the stock seat on the T120. It might be heresy on here, but in your position I'd look at putting a decent screen on the T120 and seeing how that worked out.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Q

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCA
@ZShyster

methinks RaglandT is spot-on with his recommendation

unfortunately, IMO both the 1200 and 800 carry their weight too high up and although this should not be an issue for strictly paved roads, the 900 (and maybe the new 1200) seems to have addressed this to some extent

I think that you would be very happy trading in whatever you have currently on a 900 GT Pro (given that you are sticking to the pavement) and farckle away :-)

judging from all the reviews, the 900 seems to have hit the sweet spot in all regards and should be a great touring bike with the possible caveat of the vibrations that the new crank layout seem to generate at certain revs - this might be a nuisance while doing long-distance but with cruise control it might well be a non-issue
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Recent Topics

winded-staunch