Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Comparing Explorer 1200 vs Tiger 800 XRX or T vs Tiger 900 GT (Pro)  (Read 1272 times)

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
Re: Comparing Explorer 1200 vs Tiger 800 XRX or T vs Tiger 900 GT (Pro)
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 01:29:33 PM »
I agree Derchef, i do think people go overboard regarding the weight issues. For example my bike fitted with engine bars would be easier to pick up than an 800 without them. If you spend mire time dropping it than riding it fair enough. Dropped my S10 in a car park stationary on the Sunday ride from last years Lakes meet in front of about 30 bikers lol. All my fault. But i have dropped it once in 20,000 miles. Also if the weight is carried higher a lighter bike may even be harder to pick up than ome that carries it lower.

Online Q

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2019 800 XCA
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »
must admit the tiger is much easier to pick up after I had fitted the top crash bars  - even though this obviously added to the weight at the top

the reason is that I found that the bike is not laying down quite as flat to the ground as it was without the bars and even though it might only be a few centimetres, I found the bike much easier to pick up using either the open-door or walking back into the bike methods (btw I'm a featherweight at 70 kgs, 1.75m and nearly 60 yrs)

I do ride dirt predominantly (my preference) and my lack of skill/brains do mean that I'm going to have my share (perhaps more) of fall-overs but that is my choice

riding dirt means I stand most of the time and in this position, the Tiger feels just right with the weight on top not a factor at all - coming from 20+ yrs of BMW boxer motors, I've probably been a bit spoilt in terms of low centre of gravity
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline ZShyster

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 13 TTSE 18 T120
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 05:26:44 PM »
Thanks for all of the input.   :031:   :031:

I loved the 2015 Explorer 1200 XC and still love the 2013 Trophy but am getting more and more happy with the 2018 Bonneville T120 as the lower center of weight and seat height.

I really need to test ride both a 2019 800 XRT and a 2020 900 GT Pro when this craziness is over.

I am not sure if my concern is the shorter wheelbase of the Bonneville which makes it seem a little more twitchy when riding or an issue of the stability that the heavier bikes provided.

Again, thanks for all of the input.

Please ride safe,
ZShyster

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 10:24:22 AM »
Have you got the OEM Pirellis on the Bonnie? They've not got a terribly good reputation - see the watercooled twins forum on triumphrat.net. Mine are getting replaced soon.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline YorkieBoy

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 11:09:30 AM »
I don't go around dropping my bikes regularly but I note a mate's comment, "There's two kinds of biker, those that have dropped a bike and those that are going to"

I bought one of the first Explorers in early 2012 and was delighted with it, despite it's trip back to the factory for a range of replacement parts. Three years later, whilst at the TT, I went to visit Murray's Museum on a race-free day. I overshot the turn off, slowed down, checked for traffic and went for a feet-up U-turn. Rear brake feathered, clutch slipping and a bit too quick. In the last few seconds I realised I was going to run over a piece of ply with lots of nails stuck up. Touched the brake and down it went. The only damage was a slightly scuffed crash bar but I couldn't pick the bloody thing up! Admittedly it was near a wall, making it a bit awkward but I was really embarrassed. Within seconds, a passing van driver leapt out and got me upright. There and then I swore I was never going to continue with a bike I couldn't pick up. I sold it shortly after I got back.

I also ran a Thunderbird LT, I think they're around 360 Kg. That has toppled over twice and it's a doddle righting it.
Half the world have a less than average intelligence

C15, 350 Mac Velo, 200 Lambretta, 175 Jawa, 500 AJS Model 20, 650 SS Norton, 750 Commando, SP370 Suzuki, Guzzi Le Man II, Tiger 955i, Speed Triple, 1600 Tbird, Street Triple, 1700 Tbird, Explorer, 1700 LT, Street Triple, Tiger 800 XRT

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 07:33:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Q [+]
must admit the tiger is much easier to pick up after I had fitted the top crash bars  - even though this obviously added to the weight at the top

the reason is that I found that the bike is not laying down quite as flat to the ground as it was without the bars and even though it might only be a few centimetres, I found the bike much easier to pick up using either the open-door or walking back into the bike methods (btw I'm a featherweight at 70 kgs, 1.75m and nearly 60 yrs)

I do ride dirt predominantly (my preference) and my lack of skill/brains do mean that I'm going to have my share (perhaps more) of fall-overs but that is my choice

riding dirt means I stand most of the time and in this position, the Tiger feels just right with the weight on top not a factor at all - coming from 20+ yrs of BMW boxer motors, I've probably been a bit spoilt in terms of low centre of gravity

I once did a BMW dirt course, they lent everyone 1200 GS enduro, it felt freaking boring next to my Africa twin then
and I kept hitting my shins in the cylinder when stoping I was then scared shitless seeing a guy thrown off the bike
because he hit the cyclinder in roots nobody ever talks about this, but you can strand a GS in a rut cylinders stuck
on the dirt.
I really don't want to ride the GS because of all of this, yeah and in Switzerland you wouldn't believe the prices !

I'm surely lacking skill, but the Tiger feels just as capable when standing, as my previous Africa twin, it doesn't feel
more top heavy.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch