Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 9 Years 30 000 miles of chain lube and dirt cleaned up.  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Jakm15

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xr
New to me Tiger I only picked it up the other day, its done 30k miles and has very good service history but it doesn't seem to have ever had a clean, I spent a good afternoon on it when I picked it up on Friday giving it a clean and then had a good ride Saturday and Sunday.

Had a spare day today so I stripped all the back end, cleaned everything and greased the swingarm bearings, shock, shock linkage and rear wheel bearings. The chain lube was a right paint to get off, petrol was the only thing that would shift it.

Next job on the list is tank off and a good check and clean under there. Im contemplating taking the headers off to polish up but the bolts look like they may be a pain.

Previous 2009 Street Triple 675 Owner

Current 2011 Tiger 800 Xr Owner

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
Re: 9 Years 30 000 miles of chain lube and dirt cleaned up.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 07:47:29 PM »
While your at it check rhe plastic chain guide thingy as they were out and will damage the swing arm. Also you could get the shock rebuilt and serviced or get a aftermarket one if funds allow. Makes a huge difference to the ride. Also check under the battery the main fuse is in there and the drain hole gets blocked. Some have moved it to a better position.

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 08:00:47 PM »
And replace the wheel alignment bolts with stainless if you get chance. The originals seize up very easily.

Offline Jakm15

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice, the battery drain hole is on my list of things to check as I come across a post about it this morning. I think the chain guide must have been changed very recently as it has no wear at all on it. I'll stick a shock on the list as well for it at some point but be honest it corners just as well as my 675 street I've just sold.

*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
While your at it check rhe plastic chain guide thingy as they were out and will damage the swing arm. Also you could get the shock rebuilt and serviced or get a aftermarket one if funds allow. Makes a huge difference to the ride. Also check under the battery the main fuse is in there and the drain hole gets blocked. Some have moved it to a better position.

Offline Jakm15

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 08:06:24 PM »
So far from what I've tinkered with on the bike it does seem to stack up against its full service history, I fully removed the adjusters today and they came out nicely greased up I was surprised I expected them to be a bit stiff to come out.

*Originally Posted by Guyver [+]
And replace the wheel alignment bolts with stainless if you get chance. The originals seize up very easily.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 08:55:59 PM »
The shock looks worse than my 89,000km unit. That scoring isn't a great sign to my mind. Now you're invited over to do mine  :001:
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 01:24:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jakm15 [+]
I think the chain guide must have been changed very recently as it has no wear at all on it. I'll stick a shock on the list as well for it at some point but be honest it corners just as well as my 675 street I've just sold.

The later model chain rubbing strips wear much better than the earlier ones and if the bike has a service history the rubbing strip was probably changed at the 12 and maybe 24 k miles services. I just did the 24k miles (40 k km) service on my bike and did not change the rubbing strip that had been installed at 12k miles because it was showing no signs of wear at all. the rubbing strip from the service kit is lying in the used parts for another day box in the shed.

Offline Johnjo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xrt
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 06:42:45 AM »

Nice job there Jakm.  Glad you posted the after pics too.

What degreaser did you use ?

Cheers JJ

Offline Jakm15

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 08:16:29 AM »
The only thing that would shift the chain lube and dirt was petrol on a paint brush, nothing else would touch it.

*Originally Posted by Johnjo [+]
Nice job there Jakm.  Glad you posted the after pics too.

What degreaser did you use ?

Cheers JJ

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 08:48:51 AM »
At 30k , you might have thought of a new shock , I replaced mine at a lower mileage and the difference in the comfort and handling is amazing.....

Recent Topics