Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 Roadie front chain sprocket replacement help appreciated  (Read 316 times)

Offline Bikertone7

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
Just bought a replacement chain and sprocket kit and discovered when I removed the front sprocket the new part was much thinner and also appears to be a very tight fit over the splines (I've not forced it on yet). The original sprocket is just over 7mm thick whilst the new one is 6mm and when offered up to the chain there is loads of side movement on the chain links. Before I go back to the supplier would appreciate comments if anyone else experienced the same issue. I certainly don't feel comfortable about fitting the new sprocket. There's a good video on youtube showing how to do the job that shows the same difference in sprockets but he doesn't seem to have picked up on the thickness.
/>
Other Bikes: 1968 Triumph TR6 650cc (american export model), 1991 Transalp XL600V (everyday runabout), 1979 Kawasaki KL250 Trail Bike project.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Tiger 800 Roadie front chain sprocket replacement help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 07:00:45 PM »
They've given you a sprocket for a 520 chain
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Bikertone7

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 08:09:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
They've given you a sprocket for a 520 chain

Your right!! Just checked the invoice - chain is 5.25VXx122 front sprocket 520.16!!

Many thanks  :002: :031:
Other Bikes: 1968 Triumph TR6 650cc (american export model), 1991 Transalp XL600V (everyday runabout), 1979 Kawasaki KL250 Trail Bike project.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:08:02 PM »
When I did mine I thought there had been the same mistake but turned out it wasn't.

I ordered the chain I wanted from M and P as a kit as it was on a special deal which was cheaper than anywhere else including sprockets.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24021.0.html

However the rear sprocket was an unmarked make and the supplied front JT one non-cush drive.
I had already decided on JT sprockets and bought them (cush front) elsewhere. As mentioned in the above link due to an incorrectly supplied chain splitter I negotiated a free spare front sprocket. All 3 supplied front sprockets were/are 520.16 size and the cush one looks bigger but isn't and matched the removed factory sprocket.

Spares - The non-cush (from M and P) and the cush - both 520.

JTs catalogue lists the 520 front, 525 rear and 525 chain for Tiger 800 .... probably designed to allow for better tolerance on sprocket misalignment and wear.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/s5538/
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Bikertone7

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:43:05 PM »
Thanks Stevie.P, I got mine from M & P and have already emailed them. The one supplied has far too much side play and I certainly won't use it. It's a 'Choho' sprocket with no identifying part numbers. The one I removed fits the chain perfectly so hopefully M & P can supply the other cush sprocket. Have to wait for their reply. The rear is fine. Cheers

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 02:54:55 AM »
Would be a good idea to replace the tab washer.

Recent Topics