Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Optimate 4  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
Re: Optimate 4
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 02:15:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rick B [+]
Thanks for all the help folks i suppose that's what forums are for.Just out of curiosity is the Aux socket on the headstock permanent live?
Cheers
Rick

It is on the 19 and 20 XRT and other models too. That's why you can use it for battery charging. If it wasn't live with the ignition off, it would be no use for that purpose.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:21:07 PM by Phurtim »

Offline Rick B

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2020 XRT
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Phurtim [+]
It is on the 19 and 20 XRT and other models too. That's why you can use it for battery charging. If it wasn't live with the ignition off, it would be no use for that purpose.
Thanks Phurtim
I'll have a look at the Optimate 105 usb charger as it shuts down if the battery goes below a certain level instead of the Amazon one ive got that could just drain the battery
Regards
The Perfect Woman,
A deaf and dumb nymphomaniac that runs an off-licence!

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 02:49:44 PM »
You should not leave any USB adapter plugged into the DIN socket when the ignition is off and the socket live, like on the XRT. That's because these adapters consume a small amount of power even when not connected to any device and therefore drain the battery.

Although the Optimate 105 will turn off after 3 hours or if the battery drops below 12.3V as shown in their spec:

https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/o105-dual-usb-charger

you are still draining the battery needlessly for that time, a risk you should not take in my view. I suggest you always unplug a USB adapter from a live socket when the ignition is off, even the Optimate version.

Offline Rick B

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2020 XRT
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 02:59:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Phurtim [+]
You should not leave any USB adapter plugged into the DIN socket when the ignition is off and the socket live, like on the XRT. That's because these adapters consume a small amount of power even when not connected to any device and therefore drain the battery.

Although the Optimate 105 will turn off after 3 hours or if the battery drops below 12.3V as shown in their spec:

https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/o105-dual-usb-charger

you are still draining the battery needlessly for that time, a risk you should not take in my view. I suggest you always unplug a USB adapter from a live socket when the ignition is off, even the Optimate version.
Thanks
On the BM i just left the adapter in, it must have been on the canbus i presume as it turned off with the ignition yet allowed me to use the Optimate to charge.
 :152:
Im considering the Garmin 595lm on a evotech screen mount so it would be permanently fed but where would be the best place to take the live from?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:06:15 PM by Rick B »
The Perfect Woman,
A deaf and dumb nymphomaniac that runs an off-licence!

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 04:46:51 PM »
Yes, BMW socket circuitry differs from the Triumph in that it is not live with the ignition off, other than for a very short period after switch off. Therefore leaving a USB adapter plugged in to a CANBUS BM should not drain the battery and similarly on any bike where the socket is switched off with the ignition.

As you say though, a special CANBUS charger like the Optimate 4 Dual or BM's own charger is recognised by the bike's circuit so that charging works via the socket even though it is off when the charger is not connected.

As for a feed for your nav, there are several threads on the forum dealing with precisely that question if you search. Make sure you use a switched source so that you can't leave the nav on when you turn off the ignition.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:48:38 PM by Phurtim »

Recent Topics