Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Which parts to complete sliding carriage assembly?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Which parts to complete sliding carriage assembly?
« on: May 23, 2020, 04:54:20 PM »
This is a blatant call for advice, please. Bike is 2019 XRT (VIN:962***). Have managed to acquire expedition top box (A9500530). As an aside, the vendor kindly gave two parts of the sliding carriage assembly being (a) the black, 'trapezoid', plastic piece which replaces the standard piece which over-tops the brake lights and (b) the aluminium, 'trapezoid' part which includes the buffer rubbers, the rear detaching hook and the frame bobbins (note that the previous owner had modified this plate with a couple of holes to fit his sport). The pieces described are as those shown in the first of the two links below.

However, these two parts miss the other parts associated with this assembly which would make them usable (eg: front bracket T2353437 ).

Looking at the @World of Triumph' website for parts, I came across the following two sliding carriage assemblies for my bike (i)https://www.worldoftriumph.com/collections/100090268-0-2?type=tiger-800-xrt-from-vin-855532  and (ii)https://www.worldoftriumph.com/collections/100090264-0-2?type=tiger-800-xrt-from-vin-855532

Looking at these links and comparing to the photos it looks as though (i) applies to me. If correct, how do I go about getting the rest of the remaining parts thus rendering the two parts usable and, as a consequence, saving me a considerable amount of money?  It might seem that you just order the missing parts from the parts diagram but, unfortunately, not all the parts required are available to be ordered. Any help gratefully received - ta.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:05:18 PM by Thripster »

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Which parts to complete sliding carriage assembly?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 08:37:06 PM »
Hi, have you looked on the bike with the passenger seat removed, under the plastic rack tray and to the rear of the seat latch, to see if that cross brace is possibly already fitted. Looking at the parts list looks no different to the parts list for my 15 XRT.
If it's any help I did a recent write up of tapping in to the rear light wiring which has pics you might find helpful on how the sliding rack fits. The sliding rack is only fixed on with 4 screws into the 2 passenger grab handles and 2 forward nuts and bolts into the said cross brace.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,27814.0.html
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 09:50:31 PM »
Thank you. I currently have an electric air pump stored under there and didn't notice the bracket when looking under there but will look again. However, even if it is there, I'll still need the other parts shown in the diagram but which aren't available to buy separately? (Unless I am misreading the diagram). Would post pictures but these are too big.

I had seen your post and found it informative at the time. Thanks again.

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 05:20:57 AM »
After some kind help via PM, here are some pictures of plastic base plate and aluminium base plate. To my mind, (other than the forward bracket), there should be some other pieces between the two that are pictured but not detailed separately as being orderable? Probably me being dim. I am thinking specifically of the four 'carriers' underneath and above the plastic plate - these would be the pieces that allow lateral movement, surely?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:24:28 AM by Thripster »

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 08:30:53 AM »
And here with the exploded view (which I have borrowed) for the purposes of this thread. The parts I am talking about look like tiered washers/rubbers? Above and below the plastic piece.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 09:35:24 AM »
AAaahhhhh, the pictures really help. IMO :027: the previous owner of the sliding assembly has for some reason only known to him dismantled an assembly not intended to be taken apart and as such the connecting parts are only available via obtaining the complete assemble. In all honesty I believe you could bolt the 2 parts together with a spacer or 3 or 4 washers between the parts on each of the 6 fixings and simply eliminate the sliding action. If other Expedition topbox owners add some feedback for you they may like me not really see/feel any real advantage to the sliding system anyway?  :084:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 09:50:07 AM »
Thanks Steve (and for help with pictures). Will await feedback on merits of sliding system (the previous owner said these rattle). Otherwise, I shall do as you say and contrive to fix them together.

Like the REME avatar - self employed sparks myself until triple AAA put paid to that (I mean domestic 7cm tear of artery between heart and legs). Lucky wife was here to pummel the life back into me.

ATB
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:55:27 AM by Thripster »

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 08:41:08 AM »
Looking at the T2351548 spares kit, it appears that that contains the parts I need - so will try that avenue.

Recent Topics