Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: keeps your eyes peeled.  (Read 1254 times)

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
keeps your eyes peeled.
« on: May 23, 2020, 07:08:32 PM »
Yesteday I had to make a trip to Liverpool, around 45 miles each wayd. decided to take the bike. Very windy but dry dry and sunny. Had to use the M6/M56. Traffic was light compared to a normal Friday PM, not near empty but light

But what I did notice was a lot more Police activity in unmarked cars. Cars were being stopped both sides of the road for, I guess, speeding.

So if you are out on the road keep your speeds down. I expect the Welsh Police will be extra vigilant to stop the evil English  from getting into Wales to steal all their petrol, food at cafes, flushing water down the Toilets. and generally stopping Welsh life. Given where I tend to ride that can only mean protecting all those newborn Welsh lambs from the prying eyes of the Saxon invaders. Im told that many in Wales have admitted those lambs into their homes (and their  beds) for protection/special attention

So watch those speedos and stay safe

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: keeps your eyes peeled.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 07:43:07 PM »
Normans surely.  Saxons got fecked out of it in 1066.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 12:15:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Normans surely.  Saxons got fecked out of it in 1066.
I know there is some inside humor here and explaining jokes is a downer but Normans and Saxons? Guys in Kansas want to know.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 12:31:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by UncleGary [+]
I know there is some inside humor here and explaining jokes is a downer but Normans and Saxons? Guys in Kansas want to know.

World history. The Normans (from northern France) invaded England in 1066 and subjugated the until then dominant Saxon clans.

Im perturbed to hear about Welsh shepherds becoming friendly with their sheep. Is this a plot to improve Welsh Rugby following the tried and true techniques that us Kiwis have been using since the 17th century? Underhanded I say.

On the speed on the road note. Most countries have reported that during lockdowns road speed and the severity of individual crashes has increased as traffic has diminished. It seems that people simply cannot resist a nearly empty freeway or road and their inner Stirling Moss comes to the fore.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:35:41 AM by K1W1 »

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 01:13:52 AM »
I deny any French ancestry. Even the thought of it brings me out in cold (non Covid) sweats.  :017:
So Saxons it is

1066 was the last successful invasion of England,  after decades/centuries of away day pillaging from Vikings, Saxons and others
IIRC the last invasion of the British isles was French, that happened in Wales in 1797. Having supported the tax dodgers in the 1770's, France fancied their chances at freeing Wales and in the process beat the nasty enemy the evil English.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 03:49:51 AM »
Now explain to our US cousins the relationship (tenuous I know) between peeled and Police.  :002:

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 07:47:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Now explain to our US cousins the relationship (tenuous I know) between peeled and Police.  :002:

No :017:,  theres always Google for such obscure details  :008:

Offline Q

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2019 800 XCA
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 10:37:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]

or why the Irish used to call their currency a "punt" - apparently because it rhymes with "bank manager"?

asking for a friend of course :-)
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 10:48:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
IIRC the last invasion of the British isles was French, that happened in Wales in 1797. Having supported the tax dodgers in the 1770's, France fancied their chances at freeing Wales and in the process beat the nasty enemy the evil English.

not exactly the last invasion, 30 June 1940 the Channel Islands were occupied by the Germans....
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
not exactly the last invasion, 30 June 1940 the Channel Islands were occupied by the Germans....

The Channel Islands are not the British Isles. If you want to use that example then the latest invasion was the Argentinian invasion of the Falkland Islands in 1982.

Recent Topics