Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help with fuse rating  (Read 238 times)

Online Rgh999

• Tiger Member
Help with fuse rating
« on: May 25, 2020, 06:17:10 AM »
The two accessory sockets on the new 900 have 10 amp fuses, but the handbook says accessory should not be more than 5 amps to avoid draining the battery. BUT heated jacket and gloves draw 7.5 amps. Jacket on its own 6.5. Is the recommendation purely to avoid draining the battery, or is there a hidden agenda. Obviously rider can link direct to battery, but pillion would be easier to use rear socket.

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
Re: Help with fuse rating
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 08:54:39 AM »
In my view it is extremely unlikely that a current of 7.5A (implying power of about 90 watts) for heated clothing via one of the accessory sockets would drain the battery whilst riding. And as you say, this is well below the 10A fuse for each of the two sockets. I think Triumph is being ultra conservative in their comment about this.

But this does depend also on circumstances at the time such as other accessories in use like heated seats and grips, foglights etc; the engine revs during the ride as the higher this goes, the greater the alternator output; and how long the ride is taking. If though both rider and pillion heated gear require a current of 7.5A each, then possibly this might run down the battery to some extent, again depending on circumstances as above. But my guess is that even then, no harm would come to your battery, especially if like me you are able to keep the bike on a smart charger at home. And even if not, presumably you won't always be riding two up and with both people having heated gear on.

Note that connecting one set of heated gear direct to battery as you suggest and the other to the rear acc. socket will not get round the potential problem of battery draining that Triumph mention. It doesn't matter whether you go direct to battery or use the acc. socket, the current flowing from the battery will be the same.

But as I say, I very much doubt this will be a problem for the battery except perhaps in a perfect storm where you are two up with both heated gear on, heated grips and seat on, foglights on and it's a very short ride in town traffic so you never get the revs up much. Doing that once wouldn't be a problem but day after day with no longer rides and no separate charging at home would probably in the end ruin your battery.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:06:04 AM by Phurtim »

Online philmcglass

• Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 12:47:58 PM »
Had a quick look at the haynes manual.
Nominal Alternator output as follows:
800, XC to VIN 674841   41.5A @ 4000rpm
XR, XRX, XCX, XC from VIN 674842 34A @ 5000rpm
XRT XCA 42A @ 5000rpm.

Fuses are there primarily to protect wiring in the event of a fault.
Find the Line

Online Rgh999

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 02:40:31 PM »
Thanks guys. I admit I cant see the difference between heated clothing direct to the battery, or via accessory socket. It goes on an optimate every night so I agree. I was just concerned about whether the actual wiring was the weak link. Ill take the gamble, Im sure itll be ok.
Thanks again

Recent Topics

winded-staunch