Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: before you change your leaking fork seals, try this  (Read 3624 times)

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800xc
Re: before you change your leaking fork seals, try this
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 07:20:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by petesear [+]
Hi, I'm just about to either do mine myself or get Triumph to do them.

When you say better seals, what make did you opt for?

Also, did you change the oil viscosity?

I am thinking 5wt but I'm trying to gather as much info to make a decision.

Thanks for any help you can offer...

I used SKF. I had been waiting for a while for them to offer some in the 2012XC fork size. OEM is good if they are damaged and leaking... the SKF are a bit better (potential) longevity... and are certainly not as "sticky" as the OEM seals. They just cost more money.

I used maxima racing fluid - at a 7wt. I can't remember the specific viscosity index of the OEM fluid, I decided to opt for maxima since I had some already, and then I could start with a known fluid (and all the published specifications) and could go heavier or lighter depending on what I needed. Here is a link to the specifications

I am not sure I'd go lighter than the 7wt maxima spec

Offline petesear

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 08:25:09 PM »
Great info, thank you

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 08:51:32 AM »
since the thread diverted to fork fluid, I would put higher viscosity fluid in the stock forks.  The front is already too soft.
I personally changed the front internals to AK-20 AXXION CARTRIDGE KIT, which is more first and adjustable (for xr).

Offline petesear

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 09:44:20 AM »
Too soft?
I find them to be too harsh.

Anyway, I have ordered the oil and less stiction seals so I will see how I get on.

I intend to have the rear shock replaced at some point soon so maybe I will consider fork cartridges, if I feel I need them, when that happens.

Thanks for the advice..

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 12:18:58 PM »
I don't really remember.  But I think the bike was too much front diving for my taste.  Changing Cartridges is expensive.

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 07:04:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by petesear [+]
Too soft?
I find them to be too harsh.

Anyway, I have ordered the oil and less stiction seals so I will see how I get on.

I intend to have the rear shock replaced at some point soon so maybe I will consider fork cartridges, if I feel I need them, when that happens.

Thanks for the advice..

overdamped and undersprung (depending on your weight).

If you don't notice excessive static sag, excessive nose dive or bottoming out of the front, springs won't help much.

I have tried cartridge emulators/different damping valves in other bikes, wasted money there. Working with different fluid weights got me better results.

Traxxion dynamics are adjustable damping, and the fluid they send you is the one I listed (maxima racing fluid 7 wt)...  the 7wt fluid is lighter than whatever is in there now.  I've installed those cartridges on 3 different motorcycles... the 800 was the one that it made the least noticeable difference of the 3 (the heavier springs were more noticeable, but that's easy and cheaper than a full cartridge... adjustable damping is nice because changes to spring rates you might want to change damping, but the fluid change was most likely the ). Not sure I'd do those again on the 800... given the cost... a bit heavier set of springs in my case, and then try different fluids till you get it right.

Rear suspension made more of a difference in handling. Front fluid/seals made more of a difference in the annoyances of the front on this bike (annoying pogo stick action on road).

Offline petesear

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 08:34:58 PM »
Hi, it is the pogo stick effect that I want to eliminate.

So, as suggested, I'm going for a slightly lighter oil(7.5 Rock oil) and seals with less stiction.

If this is a success then it will be time to look at the rear shock..

Thanks again

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 10:22:47 PM »
one of the things I noticed before the SKF seals... I could pull back on the bars with my hand on the brake, and get the suspension to unload (straddling the bike or on the side stand)... and then let go... I would have to put some weight on the front to get it to settle again... and it would do so suddenly... with the skf seals, the bike settles back under it's own weight (or just a small amount of force).... what this translated to on the street was that very small bumps, the suspension would not compress, and the energy was translated to the frame.... that, with the higher viscosity fluid, slightly larger bumps were that much harsher.

if you're ready to take some time when replacing the seals... you can try to eliminate any slop in the forks at the same time. I think just the seals will do the trick... but there is always this (it has a link to an article for helping to remove stiction in motorcycle forks):

Alternate 800XC fork seal availability

I really need to just buy some longer lengths of feeler gauge material... I get lazy and just buy a cheap set and use whatever size reduces enough of the gap but not so much they won't drop free with their own weight.

It was an update to a thread I posted back when SKF didn't have a size that fit the 800XC forks (the Showa 45mm size).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 10:27:50 PM by walker »

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 02:05:43 AM »
the confusing part is that some refer here to XC and some to XR.  XC has a better suspension from the company to start with.  I have XR, and replaced the front cartridges plus fitted the rear Nitron shock.  I made the same set up with Versys 1000, where I also fitted the SKF seals.  I am not sure if in actual riding the less-stiction is really noticeable.  In my personal opinion, the stock seals work just fine.

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 04:04:30 PM »
not the 2012 XC... the showa 45mm forks are not very good.  The traxxion dynamics cartridges helped for sure, but overall cost/benefit (When compared to other ones I have done for other bikes) isn't quite as good. If you have the money, do it (or a similar product).

The later XC bikes used WP suspension, which might be better than the showa 45mm on the early xc bikes (just a longer travel larger diameter tube version of the roadie bike at that point on mine). I haven't ridden nor disassembled the wp equipped bikes.

Recent Topics