Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is Tiger 900/800 right for me?  (Read 3716 times)

Offline OldNick

• Tiger Cub
Is Tiger 900/800 right for me?
« on: May 26, 2020, 04:01:40 PM »
Hi folks, just posted in the New members forum so let me jump in with my first proper question and see if you folks can advise:
I currently ride a big old Daytona 955i but looking for something a bit more upright (already have bar raisers on the 'Tona) and also something that a pillion can be happier on as my missus is starting to ride a bit with me. I have a Triumph dealership in my town so my first preference is to stay with triumph but it's not an unbreakable. Has anyone on the forum come from the Daytona/Sprint and how did they find the 800 (and ideally 900) Tiggers in comparison. I'm thinking that engines have moved on a long way since 1999 and even with less cubes a 'smaller' Tiger is not going to leave me wanting, but should I be looking at a Tiger Sport (if that's not a dirty word on this forum)? Use will be 100% on road, comfy enough for a pillion but unlikely to be doing any big touring 2-up; still exciting as a solo rider.

Offline kranky

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800 XRx
Re: Is Tiger 900/800 right for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »
I moved from a 99 Sprint to a Tiger 800 in 2014 and whilst I loved the Sprint my short legs meant I dropped it a few times whilst nearly stationary.

The Tiger 800 was an instant hit beacause it was so easy to ride and control. I am now on my second one (XRX) having briefly thought about and test rode a T120 but getting back on my 800 clinched it.

Offline philmcglass

• Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 05:49:38 PM »
Had a 2001 Sprint 955 from 2007 to 2012 but felt it was getting a bit heavy to move around
Chipped in for a 600 Diversion F October 2012. Missed the grunt of the biger bike but certainly more handleable.
Visited a dealer Oct 2013 thinking of a Sprint 1050.
Salesman suggested Tiger so a test ride sold it to me and ordered ABS roadie.
Came with heated grips touring screen and top box.
Needless to say Triumph upgraded a year later but couldnt justify a change.
April 2019 decided to trade in for XRX.
Find the Line

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 06:34:57 PM »
Not had a Daytona or Sprint but I've come from more powerful bikes (FZ1, Street Triple R, Tracer 900) to the Tiger. When I test rode it I was sold, it's just so comfortable and refined and now I consider cruise control an essential.

The Tiger while not as powerful is still more than enough, it will shift if you want it to.

I do miss my Street Triple though. Wish I could have both.

Offline OldNick

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:18:38 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I suspect trade-in value for the Daytona would be less than its worth to me so Ill likely keep it. Any of you folk doing any 2-up on your previous bikes and if so how does the Tiger compare? Missus has just been out a couple of times with me on the back of the Tona but its not the greatest pillion perch and shes staring at the back of my head.

Offline gazxclent

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xrx
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:27:42 PM »
Iv'e had 3 1050 tigers and 4 800's,the mrs much preferred the 800 and had enough power 2 up,the latest 1050 i had[the sport]has a funny hump on the pillion seat,the mrs said it was totally in the wrong place.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 11:42:34 PM »
I've got a T595 converted to a Speed Triple (awaiting me doing a bit of work on it, as it has been for years) and have had a Sprint ST. The 800 engine hasn't quite got the effortless oomph of the 955 (I found myself going at 100+mph without actually intending to on the Sprint) but it's not at all bad. I sold the Sprint because even with bar risers I was still leaning too far forwards, and even with the comfort seat on which adds a bit to the seat height, my legs still felt a bit cramped. I did have a Tiger 1050 but that was a bit too tall and a bit too top-heavy, though the engine was really nice.

My wife is happy on the back of the 800 (prefers it to the Sprint) but it's a bit of a struggle for her to get on and off, so I now have a T120 Bonnie as well to take her around on.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 01:16:06 PM »
I went from a 99 Fireblade to a 2015 XCX and found the transition smooth as!  No trouble for her indoors on either bike but found the Tiger more comfortable touring as you'd expect.  Power wise the Tiger was no where near that of the blade (130 bhp at rear wheel) but It never felt lacking.

Unfortunately I no longer have the blade, but am on my second Tiger!!
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 01:52:03 PM »
A pal of mine has the 1050 Sport and had to have a custom seat made it was so bad. He doesn't usually take a pillion so I can't comment on that aspect, so not much help really  :001:.

Offline rugby536

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Sexy Orange XC
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 02:07:42 PM »
I've done a lot of touring on my 2011 XC and myself and Mrs R are very happy.  We changed the pillion saddle for a Touratech item which stops her slipping forward so easily and she does find it more comfortable but this was after having the bike for about 5 years so original is not terrible.  Pillion seat is not much taller than the rider seat but it's a two piece seat so you can have the second seat built up with extra padding very easily if the pillion view is obscured.

A couple of years ago we rented a GS1200 to tour the Canadian Rockies and I did think it could be an expensive decision after all the rave reviews of the GS.  In the end it confirmed how much we love the Tiger.  Tiger is smoother engine, better gearbox, much better engine note, doesn't rise and fall on the throttle and it makes me smile much more than the GS.  GS has lower centre of gravity, great fuelling response and the extra power was nice.  Both bikes equally comfortable for me.  Less turbulance on the Tiger with my Madstad screen. Interestingly Mrs R has more room on the Tiger than she had on the GS but that may be because the rack that mounts the Topbox on the Tiger positions it quite a long way back.

Short answer the Tiger is great 2 up.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch