Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is Tiger 900/800 right for me?  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Is Tiger 900/800 right for me?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 08:49:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by HarryPothead [+]
I'm very much of the same ilk. I've had a Bandit 600, MT-07, Honda CB1000R (I really do miss this bike), a V-Strom 1000 and now I have my Tiger XRx 800.

The Tiger obviously doesn't have as much punch as the Honda CB1000R (120BHP vs 90BHP & 74Ft.lb vs 56Ft.lb), or has the ability to trundle around down in 3rd like the V-Strom, but I wanted a big touring bike. I foolishly picked up a V-Strom; I really wanted a V-twin bike, and the Strom which gave me a taste for touring and a big powerful motor with peak-torque at low-RPM. Unfortunately, the V-Strom was just too big, cumbersome and clunky. It also had some seriously inbred faults; which were common across the entire range, and my bike also suffered at the hands of them... Eurgh.

Either way, I traded that in (for a big loss) and picked up the Tiger 800 XRx and have never looked back. I mean, it's got a low-seat (I get two feet flat, I'm 5'10"), it's comfortable. It has cruise-control, rider-modes, RBW, a fuel gauge and it even tells me how many miles I have left in the tank - BONUS! It's damn smooth to ride and is very nimble; you can tip this thing right over just like any other sports bike and it feels absolutely effortless.

My only issue with the bike is that the stock exhaust sounds like a Vespa. However, 14 months of ownership later and I've now bought a Fuel Diablo Carbon exhaust  :018:

It's the ultimate compromise in touring bikes. It looks like an adventure bike, but handles like a sports bike. The little Daytona 675 power plant bloody screams, I love it and I'm about to do it some justice by opening up those musical airways  :001:

Yes and that's why the 800 is still great, yesterday I went hiking in the alps for 6h, then 1h30 back home and if I
was still owning my big heavy Africa twin, there's no way I would have parked were I did and surely the ride home
would have been much more tiring.
To me the Tiger is this thelepatic bike that just rides effortlessly, no vibes, no on off power, just so pleasing !

Now I totally get what you mean about the CB or Strom, but as I've said above, our brains are sh*t at being neutral
and giving good comparisons, my AT was also pretty grunty, but if I check my travel logs made by GPS, I can ride
even more aggressively with the Tiger, but my brain tells me "ohhh it's softer than the twin", while the speeds tells
a different story. Then some people have an ego and can't buy a 95hp bike, even if on our limited roads, they can't
even exploit all the power.

Honestly if prices are kind of so close, sure buying a 900 makes sense, but some long distance riders might want to
think twice, just because the 900 vibes just enough that it can be annoying.

All the flavours are in the world anyway !

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2020, 09:04:55 PM »
Really good post, Djairouks, you somehow made me love my Tiger even more.   :002:

Offline HarryPothead

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XRx 15
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 10:20:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Yes and that's why the 800 is still great, yesterday I went hiking in the alps for 6h, then 1h30 back home and if I
was still owning my big heavy Africa twin, there's no way I would have parked were I did and surely the ride home
would have been much more tiring.
To me the Tiger is this thelepatic bike that just rides effortlessly, no vibes, no on off power, just so pleasing !

Now I totally get what you mean about the CB or Strom, but as I've said above, our brains are sh*t at being neutral and giving good comparisons, my AT was also pretty grunty, but if I check my travel logs made by GPS, I can ride even more aggressively with the Tiger, but my brain tells me "ohhh it's softer than the twin", while the speeds tells a different story. Then some people have an ego and can't buy a 95hp bike, even if on our limited roads, they can't even exploit all the power.

Honestly if prices are kind of so close, sure buying a 900 makes sense, but some long distance riders might want to think twice, just because the 900 vibes just enough that it can be annoying.

All the flavours are in the world anyway !

I just want to add to this -

As soon as my Honda got above 5,000RPM it hit peak torque and it was almost unmanageable at WOT on open roads. At that point, the power and torque became so great that it became a track bike. It was bloody good fun to have that *RUSH* of power though, but it was absolutely wasted on the road. It also struggled to float around town in high gear unless it was near 3500-4,000RPM (the engine sounded too busy, like you needed to shift up). Not the type of RPM you want when you are casually riding around.

The Triple easily floats around down at <=3000RPM. It also sounds at easy at high-RPM too. Its such an easy bike to ride!!

You can definitely have too much power on a road bike, to the point where you only use 30-50% of its potential. I often get to go WOT on my Tiger (much like my MT-07 and Bandit) and it brings me many smiles for the miles when my wrist is twisted back onto the stop and that power plant is absolutely screaming :-)

The warble and whine from the Triumph triple is absolutely fantastic. I cant wait to get my new exhaust fitted, so it sounds like a real motorbike  :001:

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 10:31:41 PM »
I just want to add to this -

As soon as my Honda got above 5,000RPM it hit peak torque and it was almost unmanageable at WOT on open roads. At that point, the power and torque became so great that it became a track bike. It was bloody good fun to have that *RUSH* of power though, but it was absolutely wasted on the road. It also struggled to float around town in high gear unless it was near 3500-4,000RPM (the engine sounded too busy, like you needed to shift up). Not the type of RPM you want when you are casually riding around.

The Triple easily floats around down at <=3000RPM. It also sounds at easy at high-RPM too. Its such an easy bike to ride!!

You can definitely have too much power on a road bike, to the point where you only use 30-50% of its potential. I often get to go WOT on my Tiger (much like my MT-07 and Bandit) and it brings me many smiles for the miles when my wrist is twisted back onto the stop and that power plant is absolutely screaming :-)

The warble and whine from the Triumph triple is absolutely fantastic. I cant wait to get my new exhaust fitted, so it sounds like a real motorbike  :001:

I think I'll too be upgrading the exhaust, looking at the nice HP Corse 4 Track, seems like it barks nicely !

Your example is exactly why I got rid of my Mt-09 too, it was pretty fun to ride at first, but after a while you
realised WOT would be going into wheelies all the time, almost crashed too many times, I feel better having
to push and work a less powerfull bike.

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 07:57:08 AM »
My only issue with the bike is that the stock exhaust sounds like a Vespa. However, 14 months of ownership later and I've now bought a Fuel Diablo Carbon exhaust  :018:

I don't mind the stock exhaust, it's not loud but has a decent sound when you give it some throttle, although I did replace mine as I quite like to have a louder exhaust, I too got a Fuel, baffle out sounds fantastic but it's a bit too loud if I'm honest.

Offline OldNick

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2020, 08:08:42 AM »
So looks like the 800 is definitely not made automatically redundant by the arrival of the 900. I'm going to see how prices settle down once we're out from the zombie apocalypse then make a call. Must be getting close to having some dealers open soon....

Thanks everyone for the input  :031:

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 08:11:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by OldNick [+]
So looks like the 800 is definitely not made automatically redundant by the arrival of the 900. I'm going to see how prices settle down once we're out from the zombie apocalypse then make a call. Must be getting close to having some dealers open soon....

All dealers should be fully open now, I went to my Honda/Triumph dealer yesterday to have some work done.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2020, 08:29:26 AM »

Nope definitelly not, 900's just a more modern package, the 800 gen 3 had 9 years to be perfected so that still stands
and now this big engine change sets the two appart I think, rather than making the previous "obsolete".

That's actually  a lesson I learned, many times, my 2011 FZ8 was very nice but non adjustable suspension, which was
problematic, then 2014 MT-09 again suspensions and twitchy throttle, lastly 2016 Africa twin gearbox false neutrals
and twitchy throttle.
Both yamahas then got better suspensions my 2014 Fazer is really great now, the 2018 Africas were also revised in
ways to have less issues.

Which made me confident not getting a 900, because I wanted Something proven, no more surprises :191:.

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 09:42:55 PM »
Must be getting close to having some dealers open soon....

Your local one is open according to an email I got.

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2020, 09:38:21 AM »
My local Triumph dealer is open and I've just had a test ride on a 900 GTP. My current ride is a 19 800 XRT.

This is one great bike. I wasn't sure they could improve on the 800 which I regard as one of the best bikes I've ever owned - and I have had a lot over many decades. But improve it they have.

Sitting on the bike and gently moving off, I immediately felt at home as the seating position and controls etc. are  very familiar from my 800. It's a bit like reacquainting yourself with an old girlfriend who since you broke up has improved herself, lost a bit of weight, dresses nicer, and is generally more attractive all round.

Two things immediately impress, the much larger TFT dash and the quickshifter. The latter is utterly smooth, as are normal clutched gearchanges. The 800 gearbox as we all know is brilliant but the 9 seems even better.

I stuck it in sport mode to test out the acceleration. It was very good but perhaps only marginally improved over the 8. Couldn't try top speed but I've never maxed out top speed on the 8 either. On both bikes it's well over a ton so far more than I'll ever go to.

Comfort, a major factor for me at my advanced age, was good but the 9 I think has a slightly smaller screen than the 8 and I felt a little more windblast on the highest setting than the 8 on the highest, so a little negative on this point. I use only open face helmets. I'd expect a larger screen will become available from Triumph or aftermarket though. Clutch pull, another important comfort indicator for me, is very light as with the 8 but with the quickshifter you don't in any case need to do much clutching. So a definite plus there.

Handling is very good, for an ADV bike, but so is the 8 so no real change. I don't test the limits anyway and never go off road.

Engine sound is throaty and a roar, not like the 8 whine at all. I think I prefer the sound of the 8 but it's not a dealbreaker. Reviewers have mentioned more vibes due to the revised firing interval but I can't say I was aware of that. The 8 is very smooth and I found little difference with the 9 other than the engine sound. The whole revised firing interval thing is in my view of no consequence for normal road use, after trying it.

The icing on the 9 cake? It's very easy to get it on the centre stand, impossible on the 8 for me without first backing the rear wheel on to a bit of wood to raise it. Looks like Triumph listened to the very wide complaints about this. This point was always my biggest criticism of an otherwise near flawless bike. With that gone and the improvements of the quickshifter and other features, I'd have no doubts at all about buying the 9 if I was looking for a new bike now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:44:56 AM by Phurtim »

Recent Topics