Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is Tiger 900/800 right for me?  (Read 3886 times)

Offline OldNick

• Tiger Cub
Re: Is Tiger 900/800 right for me?
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »
So finally did my demonstrator ride yesterday on the GT Pro and have to say I was very impressed. So I'm not coming from an 800 but rather a 20 year-old Daytona 955i so the contrast was about as much night and day as you could imagine. Even though they are both triple engines about the only feature these bikes have in common is the 'Triumph' name on the side. After the run-through of the features I was off - the first bike other than my own that I have ridden in ~10 years so it was a bit of a wobble out of the front of the store - felt like I was riding a Chopper (the Raleigh push-bike variety, not the Harley ) initially, but within a few miles I 'got' what people see in adventure-style bikes. I really liked the riding position and my big concern that it would feel weedy after the 955i were just not realised - it had plenty of drive in the low rev range and I came closer to (accidentally) lifting the front wheel on the Tiger than I ever have on the Daytona. I found the throttle a bit on/off at low rpm but I noticed this more early on, so either I quickly adapted to ride around it or I made better gear selection choices later on - either way it wasn't a problem by the time I came back through town on my way to the dealer's. Visibility over other traffic when on the road was a bit of a revelation after the Daytona - how have I commuted on that all this time?? So only 2 questions left - new 900 vs a 1/2 yr old 800, and if 900, GT or Rally? There was a 19 plate 800 (I don't know the model type but it was the one with the spoked wheels in a bright red), fully loaded with aluminium top box & panniers (these bikes look wide with panniers fitted - doesn't look like a viable road option to me if you ever plan on filtering at all) - dealer wanted over 11k for it so not much less that a new 900. From all I can see/have read it's tough justifying an upgrade from a recent 800 to a 900, but coming in cold then equally hard to see why you wouldn't go for the 900. The GT vs Rally is harder - there wasn't a Rally that I could ride or even sit on - I did get a close look at one of those lovely green/white ones. I'd love to try a bit of off-road but can't ever see me take a new bike serious off-roading - the most I would do is a gravel track to a pub and the GT will be mor than capable of handling that so I'm leaning towards GT. Pity about the paint schemes - the Triumph 'colouring in' department must have been having an off-day when they got this assignment. So just need to look at the finance numbers now and then I think I'm sold  :300:. Got a question about pillion-friendly luggage but I'll post that separately - this thread is already in danger of wandering  :455:. Thanks to all who contributed to my decision

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Is Tiger 900/800 right for me?
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2020, 02:21:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by OldNick [+]
So finally did my demonstrator ride yesterday on the GT Pro and have to say I was very impressed. So I'm not coming from an 800 but rather a 20 year-old Daytona 955i so the contrast was about as much night and day as you could imagine. Even though they are both triple engines about the only feature these bikes have in common is the 'Triumph' name on the side. After the run-through of the features I was off - the first bike other than my own that I have ridden in ~10 years so it was a bit of a wobble out of the front of the store - felt like I was riding a Chopper (the Raleigh push-bike variety, not the Harley ) initially, but within a few miles I 'got' what people see in adventure-style bikes. I really liked the riding position and my big concern that it would feel weedy after the 955i were just not realised - it had plenty of drive in the low rev range and I came closer to (accidentally) lifting the front wheel on the Tiger than I ever have on the Daytona. I found the throttle a bit on/off at low rpm but I noticed this more early on, so either I quickly adapted to ride around it or I made better gear selection choices later on - either way it wasn't a problem by the time I came back through town on my way to the dealer's. Visibility over other traffic when on the road was a bit of a revelation after the Daytona - how have I commuted on that all this time?? So only 2 questions left - new 900 vs a 1/2 yr old 800, and if 900, GT or Rally? There was a 19 plate 800 (I don't know the model type but it was the one with the spoked wheels in a bright red), fully loaded with aluminium top box & panniers (these bikes look wide with panniers fitted - doesn't look like a viable road option to me if you ever plan on filtering at all) - dealer wanted over 11k for it so not much less that a new 900. From all I can see/have read it's tough justifying an upgrade from a recent 800 to a 900, but coming in cold then equally hard to see why you wouldn't go for the 900. The GT vs Rally is harder - there wasn't a Rally that I could ride or even sit on - I did get a close look at one of those lovely green/white ones. I'd love to try a bit of off-road but can't ever see me take a new bike serious off-roading - the most I would do is a gravel track to a pub and the GT will be mor than capable of handling that so I'm leaning towards GT. Pity about the paint schemes - the Triumph 'colouring in' department must have been having an off-day when they got this assignment. So just need to look at the finance numbers now and then I think I'm sold  :300:. Got a question about pillion-friendly luggage but I'll post that separately - this thread is already in danger of wandering  :455:. Thanks to all who contributed to my decision

Damn indeed you must have had, quite an experience with an old Daytona for years, it is so relaxing to commute on an adventure bike, you'll love it.

In my country, they give you all the aluminium luggage for the 800, which can be an argument against the 900, if you need them it's a 1200 save here, if not then 900.

Although if you ride a lot with pillion, let me tell you this, I came from an Africa twin, with also quite the on/off throttle on first and second gear.
The 800 does not have this and I do not get my helmet banged from the back, at all which is something to think about, then again if you don't ride 2 up a lot, go for the 900.

Yesterday I did a big rocks and gravel road, to a dump and though I allready had experience with my Honda, somehow with the triumph I am dead  afraid to drop it and damage my sweet Tiger... I did not care so much about my Honda, I think this has to do with such nice design and finishing.
But the XRT was not worse than my Honda in such conditions, up on the pegs absolutely no issues, even prefer the "dosable" first gear throttle, on my Honda I was in second because first was too abrupt.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 02:25:36 PM by Djairouks »

Recent Topics