Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is Tiger 900/800 right for me?  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Is Tiger 900/800 right for me?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 02:21:50 PM »
My previous bikes were, MT-09, Africa twin and I still own a Fazer 8 which is derived from older R1 chassis/engine.

I can tell you the 800 is deceiving, because these last weeks I used a Yamaha app, which tracks rides, accel, speed,
lean angles and decel power, it feels I ride harder with the Fazer because it's sporty and much more rigid.
Tough the app says that's just an impression, on the same roads I leant 38 on both bikes and acceleration is within
3% from one another, average speed is within 1Km, I was even riding faster on the Tiger, the biggest difference was
decel which is 2 times higher on the Tiger.

I rode often duo with my Africa twin and I prefer the Tiger, everything about it is more "friendly" easier to ride, never
any ohhh sh*t it's too heavy and tall, about the torque difference on paper, I don't feel it's missing, especially the vibes
of twin engines that kill your butt ! My passenger prefered the Tiger especially with the heating saddle.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:28:04 PM by Djairouks »

Offline OldNick

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »
Ok, overwhelmingly positive feedback (thanks everyone) - I'll go take a look when my local dealer is open again. I've seen there are a couple of threads on 800 vs 900 - looking at the Triumph website I was expecting to see the 800s to be much cheaper than the 900s but that doesn't seem to be the case? Are the 800s still being made does anyone know? For someone like me without an older tiger to trade, is there any reason you'd go for a possibly new 2019 800 over a 900 (other than the fact you may not be able to source a 900 for months)?

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
  • Moto2 GP - Hinckley Triples Rule !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 12:40:09 PM »
I moved from a 2002 Sprint ST955i to a Tiger 800 Road in 2013 and even though I loved the Sprint it was becoming a little heavy and forward leaning for my age !  :189:

The Tiger 800 lacks a little "grunt" compared to the 955i but gives a much more relaxing ride, in comfort, for both rider and pillion.

You will not be disappointed and whilst I know nothing about the 900 Tiger, you might get a good deal on any existing 800's in stock.  :187:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:42:18 PM by prenticemarie »
My My, How Time Flies ... 61 Years ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2020 !

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 01:01:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by OldNick [+]
Ok, overwhelmingly positive feedback (thanks everyone) - I'll go take a look when my local dealer is open again. I've seen there are a couple of threads on 800 vs 900 - looking at the Triumph website I was expecting to see the 800s to be much cheaper than the 900s but that doesn't seem to be the case? Are the 800s still being made does anyone know? For someone like me without an older tiger to trade, is there any reason you'd go for a possibly new 2019 800 over a 900 (other than the fact you may not be able to source a 900 for months)?

I got my 800 with full lugage for free, I think they still have this going on so that could be an incentive, as I said the 900
will drink 1l/100km more all year long and mileage is slightly worse, so another thing to keep in mind, the 800 will be
cheaper overall.

I had the 2016 Africa twin, first gen models have poor material, metals rusted quickly and plastics were ugly living outside
all year long, then had tech issues, with bearings, gearbox and spokes so I think the 900 isn't as "risky", but I personally
would not buy any 1st gen model before it's been fullproofed.
It's so awfull to buy a brand new bike and be so frustrated with early years issues/recalls, never again for me !

Mind you some of my mechanic friends have said they really have doubts on the new engine long term reliability, They hope
Triumph designed the crank well, with such a weird firing order giving more stress according to them, time will tell if their
worries were warranted or not.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:04:31 PM by Djairouks »

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 02:48:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by OldNick [+]

I have a 19 800 XRT but if I was buying now I would without a doubt go for the 900 GTP. It's superior in a number of ways, especially the quickshifter which is standard, but also it's a bit lighter, has tyre pressure monitoring and you can actually get it on the centre stand! Impossible for a lot of us on the 800 without first putting a bit of wood under the back wheel or other aids. The 900 has slightly higher fuel consumption but few care about that.

I doubt they are still making the 800, just clearing out old stock but anyway, there's only one reason I'd choose an 800 XRT over the 900 GTP now if buying new and that is if there is a very substantial discount to the 900. I don't mean a few hundred, that aint worth it, I mean two gees minimum. And even then I'd have to think hard about it. The 800 XRT is one great bike, the 900 GTP is one even better bike.

This all this depends on exactly what you want, how much you are willing to spend, how comfortable the bike feels and many other factors. Advice from others on such choices is really only of limited use.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:50:41 PM by Phurtim »

Offline OldNick

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 08:54:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Phurtim [+]
I have a 19 800 XRT but if I was buying now I would without a doubt go for the 900 GTP. It's superior in a number of ways, especially the quickshifter which is standard, but also it's a bit lighter, has tyre pressure monitoring and you can actually get it on the centre stand! Impossible for a lot of us on the 800 without first putting a bit of wood under the back wheel or other aids. The 900 has slightly higher fuel consumption but few care about that.

I doubt they are still making the 800, just clearing out old stock but anyway, there's only one reason I'd choose an 800 XRT over the 900 GTP now if buying new and that is if there is a very substantial discount to the 900. I don't mean a few hundred, that aint worth it, I mean two gees minimum. And even then I'd have to think hard about it. The 800 XRT is one great bike, the 900 GTP is one even better bike.

This all this depends on exactly what you want, how much you are willing to spend, how comfortable the bike feels and many other factors. Advice from others on such choices is really only of limited use.
This is what I'm thinking, and so far I'm seeing no evidence of the 800s being discounted at all. Ok, off to dive through some other posts and get a flavour for the favourite 900 version - perhaps too early to say as I suppose few of you have actually got to ride one yet!

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 02:48:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Mind you some of my mechanic friends have said they really have doubts on the new engine long term reliability, They hope
Triumph designed the crank well, with such a weird firing order giving more stress according to them, time will tell if their
worries were warranted or not.
There have been cases - in the past - where (some) street-going engines with staggered crank designs have been modified for racing -- and have had crankshaft problems at high power, high engine speed.
I doubt very much that the T900 is in that group.
When it comes to engine smoothness, though:
the T800 will probably run smoother -- and some will like that and some may like the (staggered crank) T900's 'rougher' personality?  :084:
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 03:39:32 PM »
Probably been mentioned elsewhere but there's a very favourable review of the new Rally Pro in the last Ride mag. The reviewer even thinks it's better on the road than the GT Pro but that's got to be a matter of individual taste/bias, shirley? As for "liking" some vibes, I'm yet to be convinced on that.  :001:

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 04:09:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Alberto_B [+]
Probably been mentioned elsewhere but there's a very favourable review of the new Rally Pro in the last Ride mag. The reviewer even thinks it's better on the road than the GT Pro but that's got to be a matter of individual taste/bias, shirley? As for "liking" some vibes, I'm yet to be convinced on that.  :001:

I do watch some YouTube reviewers, it tends to be easier to tell when they are biased, or saying crap.
The only way reviewers would do a reliably sound work, would be to not at all see the marketing, specs and press releases,
this has a kind of placebo effect, if you expect Something, your brain is pretty good at delivering.
Like I knew people who were scammed by a guy with a dyno, saying he could increase power by insane amounts, he had
some bogus electronic that was supposed to do wonders. It actually did Nothing and when going to a regular dyno the
curves were not improved, but the guy's "marketing" made everyone think their bikes went faster the power of thought !

Especially when it's about torque, my Africa twin did 98Nm, but twins pull your arms more so it's kind of impossible to realibly compare, but having monitored my ride with an app, I actually accelerate more with the Tiger's 79Nm, because
it's more manageable and user friendly, it's not all about number and marketing.

One thing is certain, if you want to travel end do 4-5h or more on the saddle, the 800 is amazing, my Africa twin tired me
just because of vibes and the twin "pull" after 2h.
I had the 900 just for some days after my accident and well it's certainly not as good on long distances, I could feel the
vibing in my butt, of course it's a fine motorcycle, but I have yet to find a better long distance ride than the 800.

Anyway in Switzerland the prices are insane, I checked and you guys in UK have much cheaper bikes, for a GT pro with
luggage and equivalent equipment, I would pay 3000 more than what my 800 cost, base models ar 900 appart unlike
300 in UK, this is really too much.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:11:57 PM by Djairouks »

Offline HarryPothead

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XRx 15
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 10:05:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
My previous bikes were, MT-09, Africa twin and I still own a Fazer 8 which is derived from older R1 chassis/engine.

I can tell you the 800 is deceiving, because these last weeks I used a Yamaha app, which tracks rides, accel, speed,
lean angles and decel power, it feels I ride harder with the Fazer because it's sporty and much more rigid.
Tough the app says that's just an impression, on the same roads I leant 38 on both bikes and acceleration is within
3% from one another, average speed is within 1Km, I was even riding faster on the Tiger, the biggest difference was
decel which is 2 times higher on the Tiger.

I rode often duo with my Africa twin and I prefer the Tiger, everything about it is more "friendly" easier to ride, never
any ohhh sh*t it's too heavy and tall, about the torque difference on paper, I don't feel it's missing, especially the vibes
of twin engines that kill your butt ! My passenger prefered the Tiger especially with the heating saddle.

I'm very much of the same ilk. I've had a Bandit 600, MT-07, Honda CB1000R (I really do miss this bike), a V-Strom 1000 and now I have my Tiger XRx 800.

The Tiger obviously doesn't have as much punch as the Honda CB1000R (120BHP vs 90BHP & 74Ft.lb vs 56Ft.lb), or has the ability to trundle around down in 3rd like the V-Strom, but I wanted a big touring bike. I foolishly picked up a V-Strom; I really wanted a V-twin bike, and the Strom which gave me a taste for touring and a big powerful motor with peak-torque at low-RPM. Unfortunately, the V-Strom was just too big, cumbersome and clunky. It also had some seriously inbred faults; which were common across the entire range, and my bike also suffered at the hands of them... Eurgh.

Either way, I traded that in (for a big loss) and picked up the Tiger 800 XRx and have never looked back. I mean, it's got a low-seat (I get two feet flat, I'm 5'10"), it's comfortable. It has cruise-control, rider-modes, RBW, a fuel gauge and it even tells me how many miles I have left in the tank - BONUS! It's damn smooth to ride and is very nimble; you can tip this thing right over just like any other sports bike and it feels absolutely effortless.

My only issue with the bike is that the stock exhaust sounds like a Vespa. However, 14 months of ownership later and I've now bought a Fuel Diablo Carbon exhaust  :018:

It's the ultimate compromise in touring bikes. It looks like an adventure bike, but handles like a sports bike. The little Daytona 675 power plant bloody screams, I love it and I'm about to do it some justice by opening up those musical airways  :001:

Recent Topics